Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 05:31 AM

27,242 posts, read 13,527,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
It was meant to be a joke because of all the Bradford topics.
I know, my answer was also a joke, have you ever been to Barnsley.

As for Royston Vasey it's from British Comedy the League of Gentlemen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 10:45 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,337,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Goodness, you have a lack of experience with this.

The "proof" basically comes down to the consular officer, and that is all. It is a fallacy to prove you are not going to do something, in this case, prove that you are not going to illegally stay in the US. That is like saying to you "prove to me you are not going to murder someone" and locking you in prison until you submit this proof.

As I mentioned I have relatives, immediate relatives, that have never been granted a visa, despite their long standing employment, family ties, and jobs. Me having a job and my wealth plays no role in the determination of granting a relative a visa.

The illegal stay also is not a factor despite what BS is put out. Mexico, having the largest illegal immigrant population in the US, and the largest percent of visa over stayers, also has among the lowest visa rejection rate.

The one relative that has been granted a visa to visit me did not even have a job when she was granted a visa.
I don't have a lack of experience with this, but why would having relatives already in the states makes it more unlikely to stay there illegally? Actually, having family in the US while nobody waiting for you in your home country is just one more reason you might consider staying illegally, isn't it? When people are on a business trip while their familiy waits for them at home, there is considerably less risk.

However, considering the millions and millions of foreign tourists in the US every year, I just think this country should not be on the list of "hard to visit" countries. They make a more sophisticated and intensive screening than other countries, I fully agree to this. Under certain circumstances it is not possible to visit, I understand that. I also agree to the fact that this procedure sometimes is neither fair nor logical. However, there are countries where you just can not enter, as were described in the article by the OP, where only a couple of hundreds or thousands of people can enter with huge preparation etc.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:30 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,850,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
I don't have a lack of experience with this, but why would having relatives already in the states makes it more unlikely to stay there illegally? Actually, having family in the US while nobody waiting for you in your home country is just one more reason you might consider staying illegally, isn't it? When people are on a business trip while their familiy waits for them at home, there is considerably less risk.

However, considering the millions and millions of foreign tourists in the US every year, I just think this country should not be on the list of "hard to visit" countries. They make a more sophisticated and intensive screening than other countries, I fully agree to this. Under certain circumstances it is not possible to visit, I understand that. I also agree to the fact that this procedure sometimes is neither fair nor logical. However, there are countries where you just can not enter, as were described in the article by the OP, where only a couple of hundreds or thousands of people can enter with huge preparation etc.
Refer back to my previous post;

"That holds true for every country. Depending where a person is from, it can be more or less difficult to get into a specific country.

For some people, visiting the US is easy, for others it is very difficult and quite possibly will never happen.

Some of my family members have never been granted a visa to the US, it is possible they never will, so the US would be on their list of "hardest places to get into.""

The US is on a list of many people's "hardest places to go." Russia, being on this list, is visa free to millions of people, so to those people, Russia is not difficult to travel to at all, just hop in a car/plane/train and go.

Millions of tourists visit Russia each year also, so it obviously is not difficult to get into, yet it is on the list.

Having relatives here has no impact on the decision of a consular officer. There are millions of illegals in the US that came over with zero family connections. Again, Mexicans are by far the largest source of illegal immigration, yet have one of the lowest visa rejection rates, which just shows how absurd the US visa system is. Hell, there are people who time there interviews for when a particular consular officer is away so they can raise their chances of getting approved.

The absurd thing is the fallacy of "prove you will not do something' which is impossible to prove, which is why it is a fallacy. It is impossible to prove you are not going to stay illegally in the US. Additionally, most illegal immigrants in the US are in fact visa over stayers, which just proves the US visa system is not even working as intended.

Most irritating is the fact that people with zero family or anything, can get visas to visit, yet even immediate family members are denied over and over again. As if some person with no connections to the US has more privileges than a US citizen with foreign family members. People cannot even get visas for things like a family member about to die, funerals, births, etc.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Again, Mexicans are by far the largest source of illegal immigration, yet have one of the lowest visa rejection rates, which just shows how absurd the US visa system is.
Why is this so surprising? Undocumented workers don't apply for visas. Those Mexicans who do apply, i.e. the middle class and up, have a low rate of denial because they fulfill all the requirements (and travel to the US to shop, pumping ridiculous amounts of $ (pesos) into the US economy, especially in border areas).

Old 07-22-2017, 01:59 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,558,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
Nice read, thanks.

Interesting how difficult travelling to Somalia is, I thought it would be easy due to anarchy.
couldn't you just float a boat off the coast and let the pirates bring you into the country?

Old 07-22-2017, 02:36 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,033,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Why is this so surprising? Undocumented workers don't apply for visas. Those Mexicans who do apply, i.e. the middle class and up, have a low rate of denial because they fulfill all the requirements (and travel to the US to shop, pumping ridiculous amounts of $ (pesos) into the US economy, especially in border areas).
Lol...so Mexicans "pump ridiculous amounts of money into US but Slavic peoples from Poland/Bulgaria/Russia drain the German economy and the US economy"?
Yet another proof that your "theories" are purely racial.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Lol...so Mexicans "pump ridiculous amounts of money into US but Slavic peoples from Poland/Bulgaria/Russia drain the German economy and the US economy"?
Yet another proof that your "theories" are purely racial.
Stop randomly insulting people.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:28 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,792,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
didn't get that...too many TIR drivers ot too many BAD drivers? Compare this to Asian drivers then... :P
Too many bad drivers. In Asia have spent more time sitting in traffic than in actual motion.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:54 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,772,543 times
It is not very difficult for Chinese citizens to obtain a US tourist visa now, but the visa application form contains many intrusive questions too, probably more than an American finds on Russian visa application form.

The questions include:
Were you a sex worker?
Did you work for the Nazis?
List all secondary education institutes you attended.
List all jobs you have had in the past 5 years. What is your salary?
List all dates when you arrived in the US in past 5 years.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:21 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,088,940 times
Quote:
I find it hard to take the article seriously if he thought getting a visa for Russia was difficult.
Actually, the bureaucracy at the Russian embassy in Washington D.C. sucks. The "Washington Post" Sunday travel section published a very long, full.page rant from an aggravated American who endured many trips there. On the first visit, the visa office was closed for a dubious reason, without warning. On the second and all later visits, there was never a "take a number" system and so customers were just serviced at random. Many had to wait standing up. Each time he repeatedly came in and submitted his visa application, it kept getting rejected for the most trivial reasons. One time, he was told it wasnt the latest revision of the form, although the text seemed perfectly identical to the current version, they made him leave, go home and fill out and re.notarize another one that had the current years date in tiny print in the margin. He ended up barely making his plane flight on time, even after planning it several months ahead.

Last edited by slowlane3; 07-23-2017 at 06:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World