Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:35 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,963,772 times

Advertisements

What are some really closely related languages that not only DON'T sound like each other, but may also sound like they're from separate language families?

Just the other day, I was hearing a rather "exotic" language across the room from my TV. It sounded really foreign and even "Semitic" at parts, until I realized that the guy was speaking Dutch. Amazing at how distinct they sound from us English-speakers, phonetically, when their language is like a sister of English (alongside Frisian).

Any other languages or good contenders?

P.S. I am aware that English and Dutch have cognates and/or similar words since they're both Germanic. It's just the way they pronounce their words that set them apart from us, as they use guttural sounds to convey them (eight: acht, with a guttural Kh sound).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 07:57 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,528,473 times
French and Italian.
Bot share more than 80% of cognates, but they are completely uninteligible. Moreover, even people who speak neither will easily tell each one apart.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:41 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,175,185 times
Spanish and Portuguese. They're supposed to be so closely related as to be mutually intelligible but they don't sound similar to me at all.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:44 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
What are some really closely related languages that not only DON'T sound like each other, but may also sound like they're from separate language families?

Just the other day, I was hearing a rather "exotic" language across the room from my TV. It sounded really foreign and even "Semitic" at parts, until I realized that the guy was speaking Dutch. Amazing at how distinct they sound from us English-speakers, phonetically, when their language is like a sister of English (alongside Frisian).

Any other languages or good contenders?

P.S. I am aware that English and Dutch have cognates and/or similar words since they're both Germanic. It's just the way they pronounce their words that set them apart from us, as they use guttural sounds to convey them (eight: acht, with a guttural Kh sound).
English is such a mish-mash of languages, its too simplistic to just call it Germanic.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...art_2D.svg.png

Old 06-30-2017, 02:38 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,884,190 times
I may be totally incorrect.

Vietnamese and Cambodian sound similar but totally unintelligible

Old 06-30-2017, 03:19 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,052,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Spanish and Portuguese. They're supposed to be so closely related as to be mutually intelligible but they don't sound similar to me at all.
Portuguese and Spanish are strange. Pretty much anybody in Portugal will be able to grasp what you are trying say in Spanish. However, it does not work the other way.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:54 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
English is such a mish-mash of languages, its too simplistic to just call it Germanic.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...art_2D.svg.png
There is a mish mash of vocabulary, but even then 80% of words that even an educated and articulate English speaker uses in a day are of Germanic origin. All that pie chart shows is that English hoards words of foreign origin away in its dictionaries just to take a few out on a rainy day to sound pompous (like I do quite often).

Anyway, that a language is the sum of its vocabulary is false.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:23 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,334,118 times
Finnish and Hungarian?

Old 06-30-2017, 10:49 PM

179 posts, read 185,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
What? I speak Spanish and I can understand a Brazilian or Portuguese person 97% and I've never learned any Portuguese in my entire life.

Come on, yours was the worst example. Spanish/Portuguese are one of the most related languages in the world.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:20 AM

387 posts, read 380,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
There is a mish mash of vocabulary, but even then 80% of words that even an educated and articulate English speaker uses in a day are of Germanic origin. All that pie chart shows is that English hoards words of foreign origin away in its dictionaries just to take a few out on a rainy day to sound pompous (like I do quite often).

Anyway, that a language is the sum of its vocabulary is false.
There is a mish mash of vocabulaire, but even then 80% of words that even an éduqué and articulé English speaker use in a day are of Germanique origine. All that pie chart shows is that English hoards words of forain origine away in its dictionnaire juste to take a few out on a rainy day to sound pompeux (like I do quite often).

Anyway, that a langage is the somme of its vocabulaire is faux.

I put in bold the équivalent words in French.

Last edited by Bordeaux33; 07-01-2017 at 01:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World