Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 10:53 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times

Advertisements

I agree with those who would live in Venice or Rome: those who say they are overrun with tourists do not know Venice and Rome. My problem is I do not want to pay Italian-style taxes.

To me, Miami would be a total bore as a tourist destination (only the beach, and there are better beaches elsewhere), but is a good place to live.

To be sure, I would live in London, San Francisco, Paris or New York, roughly in that order, if I could afford it.

I know some folks who live in tiny rent-controlled apartments in San Francisco, no children, and they're okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 02:52 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
You're crazy, Paris is substantially larger than either. The main issue with Paris is that I could not afford to live in Paris but in some place at the end of a RER line. At this point, better live in a smaller large city. But to each his own.
Yeah Paris is substancially larger than either, but past a certain size I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference in day to day life. Well, the prices will be even more extortionate, this is true. And maybe subway cars aren't as packed? I swear I once didn't have enough room to lay my bag down past midnight in the metro.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:20 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times
I guess my Paris experience is kinda influenced by the fact that my grandparents lived in the 94 on the RER A line so I've mostly lived the city through that, when visiting them for christmas / easter / weekends. Granted it did not take that long to get downtown (only about 25-30 minutes to Les Halles) but I always felt pretty swallowed by the city everytime I went there, everything seemed to be so far away, and it was actually a pretty nearby suburb by Paris standards. Still, having to rush at midnight to get home is kinda annoying. And some metro stations make you feel like you'd get lost in them.

I get that it must be great to live within Paris city limits but talking with friends living there, it seems that everyone was one hour away from each other. I lived in the second French metro for years and everyone was downtown or close, and at most I had to walk like one hour if I felt like it. Of course bike rental helped a lot when it was introduced back in 2005. I believe Paris must be nice if you are in the city and use the bike, more so than being in a nearby suburb and have to take the RER to do anything.

I don't really know Milan, but my sister lives in Barcelona and it seems a lot more manageable in terms of size / distance. Never been in a packed subway there like I've been in Paris. That's why say a 4-5 million metro must be my upper limit.

I'll have to spend time in NYC or London to see how I feel. I remember going to London in the 90s and feeling something similar to what I always feel in Paris. It was really huge and the city was hard to grasp in a few days.

I would not like to live in a smaller place than Bologna though.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:20 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,547 times
Honolulu. It's a poorly planned city on a really nice island, but these days it's bursting at the seams and everyone is living on top of each other. They are starting to have major infrastructure issues and some of the worst traffic in the USA, cost of living is through the roof, wages are low, there is a lot of poverty, poor education and drug problems in Hawaii. Not to mention it's the most isolated city on the planet so if you want to leave you're a (minimum) $600 and 6 hour flight away from anything else that's not an island.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:28 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Yeah Paris is substancially larger than either, but past a certain size I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference in day to day life. Well, the prices will be even more extortionate, this is true. And maybe subway cars aren't as packed? I swear I once didn't have enough room to lay my bag down past midnight in the metro.
It still makes a difference. Paris is large and crowded, but Shanghai for example is twice the size, and noticeably more crowded and stressful on a daily basis. The streets are always so packed, sometimes dangerously so. It is very common for people for wait for over an hour or more for a table at a restaurant or at a bank. Don't even mention the metro, which makes Paris metro feel easy and spacious.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:41 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
Default still, Parisians, no room for complacency

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It still makes a difference. Paris is large and crowded, but Shanghai for example is twice the size, and noticeably more crowded and stressful on a daily basis. The streets are always so packed, sometimes dangerously so. It is very common for people for wait for over an hour or more for a table at a restaurant or at a bank. Don't even mention the metro, which makes Paris metro feel easy and spacious.

Thus what is frightening is that the Paris City planners take Shangai as a model to follow , for they are planning a Great Paris with .... 25 million inhabitants in 2050 and huge construction sites are already dotting city and suburbs, they even want to destroy the last fields north of Paris to build a gigantic "zone of multi activity" in spite of local opposition ("triangle of Gonesse")
Paris is sure on the way of turning into Shangai with the added nuisance that it takes 10 times longer to build anything in Paris than in China, hence it's a city dotted with perpetual construction sites, some of them looking half-abandoned (and they are a magnet for fly-tippers, so they surroundings look like dumps)

Old 08-30-2017, 03:40 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
The RER timetables are a disgrace.
The RER is a disgrace in general, but I would love to live in Paris. At least would love to try it out for a couple of years. I really like the vibe.

Anyway Venice is the worst offender. It's the **** for visiting, **** for living. Same goes for lots of oldie towns in Italy tbh (Siena, Firenze etc.)

Old 08-30-2017, 04:54 AM

242 posts, read 262,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yuck. Venice and Florence are maybe THE European cities where tourists have destroyed the whole vibe and the natives have fled.

I would never live in either. They aren't Italian cities anymore but disneylands for tourists. Just like NYC wouldn't be NYC without New Yorkers.
What? This is the most absurd thing I have ever read! .
I live in Florence..we have tons of tourists every day...it is the tourists that make the city more peaceful, orderly, cleaner and less chaotic! Are you kidding me! Yes the streets are a bit crowded...this is only thing to complain about. In fact my Italian friends and I wish we had more foreigners living in our city...

Old 08-30-2017, 05:10 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
The RER is a disgrace in general, but I would love to live in Paris. At least would love to try it out for a couple of years. I really like the vibe.

Anyway Venice is the worst offender. It's the **** for visiting, **** for living. Same goes for lots of oldie towns in Italy tbh (Siena, Firenze etc.)
Poor RER
They are buying dozens of new trains for the D and E, I hope the experience will be better in the future specially on my D line. A has finally a train with AC... The B and C are bad. Unfortunately for people living near the B, a new line is planned for the CDG airport (CDG express). It means probably that there will be less investements on the B trains (the one you use to go to the airport) ... Wait and see .

Actually if RER was a world-class quality as well as its stations like Auber or Les Halles -I mean japanese or korean level-, I think the experience of living in suburbs would be much better... GPX will reduce the pressure on this network anyway.
As the date of 2017 it's not the case. Maybe before olympic games, in 2024...I'm skeptical, specially for the B. And I do not recommend to live outside of inner Paris, it's not an "amazing" experience. It's normal and boring, like most of suburbs around the world...

Old 08-30-2017, 06:09 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Poor RER
They are buying dozens of new trains for the D and E, I hope the experience will be better in the future specially on my D line. A has finally a train with AC... The B and C are bad. Unfortunately for people living near the B, a new line is planned for the CDG airport (CDG express). It means probably that there will be less investements on the B trains (the one you use to go to the airport) ... Wait and see .

Actually if RER was a world-class quality as well as its stations like Auber or Les Halles -I mean japanese or korean level-, I think the experience of living in suburbs would be much better... GPX will reduce the pressure on this network anyway.
As the date of 2017 it's not the case. Maybe before olympic games, in 2024...I'm skeptical, specially for the B. And I do not recommend to live outside of inner Paris, it's not an "amazing" experience. It's normal and boring, like most of suburbs around the world...
I heard that D is the worst line. The train directing to Creil is like really dangerous or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World