Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 11:23 AM

400 posts, read 292,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am pretty sure that in LA English is the most commonly spoken home language, even if it's not a majority there, and may only be in the 40% range. I don't think Spanish home speakers are more numerous than English home speakers in LA. Though in Miami they are I am sure. And in El Paso too and a number of other places I think.
In LA County, the language spoken at home is 46% Spanish and 43% English. I was recently there and saw it myself.

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...les-county-ca/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 11:31 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selen View Post
In LA County, the language spoken at home is 46% Spanish and 43% English. I was recently there and saw it myself.

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...les-county-ca/
That's only for kids 5-17. Overall English still seems more common. Even if just barely.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:43 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,288,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, I know this. They give swimming lessons to people and put horses' heads into beds. And they say "fogeddaboutit" a lot.
Italian Americans praising their italian culture give me the same impression as Cajun people in Louisiana speaking like people who lived under the reign of Louis XV

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but this has little to do with actual modern italian culture

Old 09-18-2017, 12:52 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
People think Americans are fat and stupid, lol.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:03 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Italian Americans praising their italian culture give me the same impression as Cajun people in Louisiana speaking like people who lived under the reign of Louis XV

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but this has little to do with actual modern italian culture
In my experience Italians in Italy either LOL or freak out when they are told that this is *some people*'s idea of what Italian culture is.

Although modern Italian culture in Italy has some pretty weird stuff too.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:03 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,405 times
Myth: Brazil is overcrowded of slums
Fact: Slums do exist, but only about 6% of the population live in them; the overwhelming majority of brazilians live in decent houses.

Myth: Brazilians love samba and are good at dancing
Fact: Samba is not even the most popular style in Brazil. The so-called "sertanejo" (a kind of country music) is the preferred by most and MPB (Brazilian pop) comes after. Samba comes only in the third position and, at least in São Paulo, I doubt that it's more popular than rock and roll.

Myth: Brazil is all about sun and beach
Fact: Since most of country is hot and a huge share of the population live in the coast, this is not a myth at all; however about 25% of the brazilians live below the Tropic of Capricorn and/or highlands, where winters are cool and frost is common. Snowfalls are much less common, but sometimes happen.

Myth: It's okay to speak Spanish in Brazil, since Portuguese is similar and mutually intelligible.
Fact: Absolutely wrong. The distance between both is more or less the same of that between German and Dutch. Without previous education, one can grasp some words and sentences from another, but not enough to have a decent conversation.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:49 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am pretty sure that in LA English is the most commonly spoken home language, even if it's not a majority there, and may only be in the 40% range. I don't think Spanish home speakers are more numerous than English home speakers in LA. Though in Miami they are I am sure. And in El Paso too and a number of other places I think.
English remains in the plurality in both metro Los Angeles and Miami according to the US Census' American Community Survey. El Paso wasn't on the data release I saw, however.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:34 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,947,993 times
*Kangaroos and koalas roam our streets
*We either live near the beach or in rural areas
*It's always sunny and dry
*No such thing as snow
*Everyone has a thick accent

Old 09-18-2017, 07:59 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,915,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
*Kangaroos and koalas roam our streets
*We either live near the beach or in rural areas
*It's always sunny and dry
*No such thing as snow
*Everyone has a thick accent
Well, after that viral video of a dude boxing a kangaroo in his farm, i'd to say that the bolded point is a loss cause for you, guys

Old 09-18-2017, 09:06 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,494,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Myth: Brazil is overcrowded of slums
Fact: Slums do exist, but only about 6% of the population live in them; the overwhelming majority of brazilians live in decent houses.
The slums tend to get a lot of bad repo, but only represent a small portion of the country.

Quote:
Myth: Brazilians love samba and are good at dancing
Fact: Samba is not even the most popular style in Brazil. The so-called "sertanejo" (a kind of country music) is the preferred by most and MPB (Brazilian pop) comes after. Samba comes only in the third position and, at least in São Paulo, I doubt that it's more popular than rock and roll.
I wouldn't be surprised if rock music is extremely popular, given the number of international acts performing there, not to mention the local scene. I heard that bands like the Rolling Stones and Iron Maiden witnessed their largest concert attendance when performing in Rio.

Quote:
Myth: Brazil is all about sun and beach
Fact: Since most of country is hot and a huge share of the population live in the coast, this is not a myth at all; however about 25% of the brazilians live below the Tropic of Capricorn and/or highlands, where winters are cool and frost is common. Snowfalls are much less common, but sometimes happen.
That's because in a lot of travel ads Rio ends up being the poster boy for Brazil and by extension it's beach cultures features heavily in promos.

Quote:
Myth: It's okay to speak Spanish in Brazil, since Portuguese is similar and mutually intelligible.
Fact: Absolutely wrong. The distance between both is more or less the same of that between German and Dutch. Without previous education, one can grasp some words and sentences from another, but not enough to have a decent conversation.
I have a decent command of Spanish yet can't understand Portuguese. I asked a number of native Spanish speakers and they told me that they have trouble understanding Portuguese, but that Brazilians had a much better grasp of Spanish. Not sure to what extent that is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World