Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 10:54 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,303 times

Advertisements

France has a large set of cities: Lyon, Nice, Strasbourg, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Montpellier, Rennes, Avignon, Grenoble, Nantes, Limoges, Besançon, Marseille (although it's somewhat runned down today)... and lots of other beautiful towns. But Paris outshines most of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 11:05 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,284,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The whole UK tangent on here is so bizarre.

No one is saying that UK cities suck. Has anyone really said that?

Is it UK-bashing to express a preference?

Anyway, I'd ask everyone to look at the 10 biggest cities in France and compare it to the list of the 10 biggest cities in Britain and tell me which one is objectively better.

People have mentioned that the UK has some better cities as you go further down the list into smaller pes but this is also true of France outside of the top 10: Montpellier, Avignon, Poitiers, La Rochelle, Annecy, etc. are all attractive cities often with interesting histories and local culture. There are tons of them in that country too.
Brits apparently have an inferiority complex. Anyway they are our biggest friends / enemies and have been for 10 centuries

Old 09-25-2017, 01:08 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,012,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I never said that you’re not allowed to join the discussion.

There’s no need to play dumb. Most of your posts involve you getting upset over someone criticising London, or just England in general. I think you are perfectly aware of it. When other posters bring up London or England unfavourably you always feel the need to get defensive or accuse them of trolling, then resort to your grade school Bradford innuendo. It’s frankly pretty annoying.
Frankly I don't care, you seem to be the one with 'issues', the point is there is more to the UK than London, take that as you like, if anybody is interested then I suggest trying Oxford or if you like coastal resorts then Bournemouth perhaps - there are also some really nice cities in the north of the UK too, York or Edinburgh to name just two, and also so that Greysholic doesn't think I am being some kind of 'British' zealot I suggest that there are many cities in France well worth a visit and that France is not just 'Paris' like some posters seem to portray.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:11 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,012,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Honestly I would really like to visit Manchester or Liverpool. I have only been to the south of England.
In that area there is also Chester which I hear is nice, I've never actually been to Chester, in fact I've never actually been to Manchester either :-)

Old 09-25-2017, 01:15 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,325,753 times
Italy & France.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:31 AM

27,132 posts, read 13,424,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Anyway, I'd ask everyone to look at the 10 biggest cities in France and compare it to the list of the 10 biggest cities in Britain and tell me which one is objectively better.

People have mentioned that the UK has some better cities as you go further down the list into smaller pes but this is also true of France outside of the top 10: Montpellier, Avignon, Poitiers, La Rochelle, Annecy, etc. are all attractive cities often with interesting histories and local culture. There are tons of them in that country too.
I wasn't comparing the UK to anywhere, indeed I was merely stating it has a lot more UK cities than the ones mentioned in this forum and many of the cities are very old and beautiful with magnificent Cathedrals and Castles.

I even provided a list of what one newpapers readers voted the best UK Cities in 2016 in oder to provide a better understanding of UK Cities, and my post had nothing to do with France whatsoever.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:37 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Just curious as to why Philadelphia wouldn't be an obvious choice?
I guess there was no point in me adding that I pulled them off the top of my head because I guess that's not understood that there wasn't thought put into the selection. In other words, there was no system in place, it was like drawing lottery numbers or dropping coins in the floor and guessing how many land on heads. Is this more clear?

Old 09-26-2017, 11:03 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,462 times
By pure numbers, size, and diversity of choices:

China and the United States.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:41 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I guess there was no point in me adding that I pulled them off the top of my head because I guess that's not understood that there wasn't thought put into the selection. In other words, there was no system in place, it was like drawing lottery numbers or dropping coins in the floor and guessing how many land on heads. Is this more clear?
I apologize for this snarky post. I read this again and didn't mean to sound like such an ass

Old 09-26-2017, 07:00 PM

10,742 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Japan has a fair amount with Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, and Sapporo on the international radar.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 09-26-2017 at 07:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World