Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 04:13 PM

225 posts, read 216,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineBlue View Post
Nanjing has 160 km under construction (only 40 km out from your inflated estimate) and is building across largely greenfield sites. If you don’t understand why these projects in Europe are considered more impressive engineering and logistical feats then I suggest you tone it down and let people talk about what they want to.
Not just in terms of engineering feats. Nanjing can build as many new stations as it likes. Unless it’s being mismanaged, it and the sum total of its projected expansions simply won’t be same scale as the likes of the grand Paris project, because it is unlikely to build more infrastructure than its required passenger load. If it’s building more metro infrastructure than it actually needs, then that gets into a whole new set of concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 05:25 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
umm, that should be a standard practice from 2000.

In Toronto, people still use those cute metal tokens as well as paper transfers. They also issue paper based day passes where the staff scratch the date of use like a lottery ticket. If you want to know what transit feels like in 1984, welcome to take the TTC. Very cute.

Last I checked, not even the metro rails of London, NYC or Paris require the use of smart cards exclusively for entry and exit.

I guess they figure it's too much hassle for all those passengers to purchase smart cards.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:50 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,497,346 times
I don't think it's possible to by paper tickets in most Asian cities. I have never used anything other than a T money card on the Seoul metro in the10 years I have been going to the city.

These days it's possibly more common to tap on or off with a mobile (cell) phone, than a smart card. The t money system works in the cities taxis as well, which is a good extra.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 09-30-2017 at 06:03 PM..

Old 09-30-2017, 06:29 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Last I checked, not even the metro rails of London, NYC or Paris require the use of smart cards exclusively for entry and exit.

I guess they figure it's too much hassle for all those passengers to purchase smart cards.
For most tourists it's a bit of hassle to buy a card, but other options are being looked at. I'm not sure if other metros have this already, but here they are looking at using the tap feature on credit and debit cards to pay for the fare, the same way you use a smart card. Mobile phone is also being considered.

TransLink considers tap feature for transit fares - NEWS 1130

Old 10-01-2017, 12:37 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
For most tourists it's a bit of hassle to buy a card, but other options are being looked at. I'm not sure if other metros have this already, but here they are looking at using the tap feature on credit and debit cards to pay for the fare, the same way you use a smart card. Mobile phone is also being considered.

TransLink considers tap feature for transit fares - NEWS 1130
More Cities Could Soon Adopt London’s Contactless Transit Payment System - Next City

London adopted this in 2014 and it's been pretty successful. I think it's also compatible with mobile payments like Apple Pay or bPay. Any city that opts for such a system needs to embark on an information drive to inform the general public about card clash.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:02 AM

27,152 posts, read 13,438,724 times
There are some amazing metro stations around the world.

World's most beautiful metro stations - Business Insider

London's Most Photogenic Tube Stations | Londonist

Some of the new Crossrail Stations in London such as the new vast Canary Wharf station complete with shops, restaurants and even a roof garden, are very impressive.

New Canary Wharf Crossrail Station

Picture Link

Picture Link

Picture Link

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-01-2017 at 05:28 AM..

Old 10-01-2017, 04:27 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,053 times
I think the gold standard for platform design goes to Moscow.

I can imagine with ultra-modern trains and other upgrades, it could even go for a cyberpunk or retro-futurist look.

https://kremlintour.com/metro-intro

Old 10-01-2017, 07:00 AM

27,152 posts, read 13,438,724 times
^^

The Moscow Metro has some beautiful stations, although it still evokes a picture of Stalinst Russia in my minds eye.

Moscow's metro stations – in pictures | Art and design | The Guardian

Old 10-01-2017, 07:47 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
The reason is simple: most forum members here are westerners. The west is a crucial part of the world, but nobody should talk and act as if that constitutes the entire world. That was my point.
Well, you’re posting on an English-language forum that’s based in the US. What did you expect? You see a similar kind of solipsism in Chinese-language forums or French-language forums based elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That system looks clean and efficient. It's nice to have all those bells and whistles when you're riding the metro.

The main thing I look for is comprehensive coverage. That trumps everything. Unfortunately, most U.S. cities don't have good coverage, if they have metro at all. NYC, Chicago, DC and Boston have decent metro systems. But most of the rest of U.S. cities are way behind.
Taipei’s system is very clean and efficient and very comprehensive. The prices are pretty low. It’s a vast network that integrates well with regional and national rail and has a direct connection to the airports, and there are a large number of expansions under construction.

I’d say Taipei really does have a fantastic transit system that has great coverage, connectivity, and prices. The weakest link was the lack of a connection to its major international airport, but that was recently fixed. It also has a little aerial gondola as part of its system, so that’s pretty interesting.

If Boston counts as having comprehensive coverage then so does Philadelphia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
More Cities Could Soon Adopt London’s Contactless Transit Payment System - Next City

London adopted this in 2014 and it's been pretty successful. I think it's also compatible with mobile payments like Apple Pay or bPay. Any city that opts for such a system needs to embark on an information drive to inform the general public about card clash.

That’s sort of funny as London came around to this system after several East Asian systems did so.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-01-2017 at 08:22 AM..

Old 10-01-2017, 08:08 AM

277 posts, read 401,424 times
London began trials with NFC payments with credit and debit cards for public transport from 2012. The full rollout happened two years later. Which cities in east Asia had this in place before 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, you’re posting on an English-language forum that’s based in the US. What did you expect? You see a similar kind of solipsism in Chinese-language forums or French-language forums based elsewhere.

Taipei’s system is very clean and efficient and very comprehensive. The prices are pretty low. It’s a vast network that integrates well with regional and national rail and has a direct connection to the airports, and there are a large number of expansions under construction.

If Boston counts as having comprehensive coverage then so does Philadelphia.

That’s sort of funny as London came around to this system after several East Asian systems did so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World