Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 10:55 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times

Advertisements

I think the big cities of the US are just as good as the big cities of Europe. Problem is there is too much demand and not enough supply of big cities here, which is why Boston, San Fran, NYC are growing dangerously expensive. Chicago and Philly have been spared (so far) but it's only a matter of time before they become overpriced too. When all the cities become overpriced, where do you go to? The middle class will eventually get pushed out to the suburbia, like they already have in San Francisco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 11:59 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Difference is Scandinavia has excellent social services, walkable cities, and tons of culture that Canada lacks. In Canada unless you live in Montreal, Toronto, or Vancouver you're essentially living in a colder Nebraska
No, no, that isn't my point at all.

There's a widespread myth in Mediterranean countries - which economically has fallen behind Northern European countries - that we have sacrificed happiness for money, and don't do anything else but work and are depressed. They make themselves feel better by believing that while they aren't as wealthy, they have maintained a healthy lifestyle with more free time and still enjoy life, unlike we supposedly don't here.

The other reason is that because Northern European cultures aren't as flamboyant cultures as in the South, and show our happiness a bit differently that they are used to - they think we aren't even happy. For them loudness equals happiness, but it isn't the case here. Additionally other stereotypes fuel this quite false assumption, and I encounter it always on C-D when it's about Scandinavia and happiness.

Well, but then when the Southerners realise that we don't work longer hours than them, often even less hours, get as much time off, and are very happy, and we have aced the work-life balance, their whole narrative breaks down. It isn't a zero sum game after all. Therefore they have two options - acceptance that their countries simply suck a bit more - or denial. But the experience I have with exchange students in Finland the common outcome is acceptance, even if it hurts a bit at first. Everyone doesn't necessary enjoy all aspects of our society, but they understand that Finns has made a good happy country for themselves.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:14 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
I think the big cities of the US are just as good as the big cities of Europe. Problem is there is too much demand and not enough supply of big cities here, which is why Boston, San Fran, NYC are growing dangerously expensive. Chicago and Philly have been spared (so far) but it's only a matter of time before they become overpriced too. When all the cities become overpriced, where do you go to? The middle class will eventually get pushed out to the suburbia, like they already have in San Francisco
You don't seem to know much about the US, do you?

Do you think the American middle class live in the cities? Come on, the vast majority of them already live in the suburbia, and they prefer the suburbia, because unlike Europe or Asia, American city centers are dangerous, lack amenities and do not even have decent schools. NYC/Boston are the rare exceptions, and even for these cities, many suburbs are as expensive as, if not more expensive than the city centers.

The US so many cities, and NYC is probably the only place living in the city center is considered a great thing. Not a lot of people live in downtown Boston, SF as well, not to mention LA, Chicago etc.

If America adds 100M more people, the middle class would still live in the suburbs because most of their downtowns are downrigh scary and mostly unlivable (no grocery stores, no good schools).

Old 10-09-2017, 12:15 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No, no, that isn't my point at all.

There's a widespread myth in Mediterranean countries - which economically has fallen behind Northern European countries - that we have sacrificed happiness for money, and don't do anything else but work and are depressed. They make themselves feel better by believing that while they aren't as wealthy, they have maintained a healthy lifestyle with more free time and still enjoy life, unlike we supposedly don't here.
That applies more to Americans/East Asians than to Northern Europeans.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:22 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
You did read my post but, evidently, you did not a very good job at it.
I never used Canada as a "stepping stone" for the US", as a matter of fact I had no interest in the US at all...it simply happened that I met my wife and she from the US so I moved here.

I have not been living in Seattle for "short time" as a matter of fact, well over 15 years and counting.

I probably know more about the US and visited more places in the US than you did ....

I do not "hate" Canada or Vancouver...simply is not worth it to me to be so far from Europe....too little or no benefits compared to the disadvantages.

No, I'm no "stuck" in North America...simply I make a very good living here and at this point it would be silly to go back...in the long run I will have a much better retirement (and I will be able to retire anywhere I want) if I stick around a bit longer...
So your advice to people is 15 years out of date?

Old 10-09-2017, 12:40 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
So your advice to people is 15 years out of date?

Don't start Nat....you know that I been going to Vancouver almost on a monthly basis in some periods...I live only 2 hours drive from the border...

Old 10-09-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Difference is Scandinavia has excellent social services, walkable cities, and tons of culture that Canada lacks. In Canada unless you live in Montreal, Toronto, or Vancouver you're essentially living in a colder Nebraska
Botti said you don't know much about the US, and I don't think you know much about Canada. Newfoundland, and the Maritime provinces are not like Nebraska at all. The culture is totally different.
There is more to Canada than just those cities, the majority of our provinces are totally different than Nebraska.

The places in Canada that might compare to Nebraska would be parts of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Don't start Nat....you know that I been going to Vancouver almost on a monthly basis in some periods...I live only 2 hours drive from the border...
I'm starting nothing. Your moved 15 years ago. I'll let people make up their own minds about how valid your advice is.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:44 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

The "myth" of the happy Scandinavian is considered a myth not by Southern Europeans....by the way I remember very well this Finnish girl in the late 1980's that spent a year working in Sicily and never wanted to leave....we took her to the airport and she was literally crying....I know, anecdotal but still....

Last edited by saturno_v; 10-09-2017 at 01:14 PM..

Old 10-09-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
As usual, you misread what I write or you want to read something is not there.

I never discouraged anyone tout court to immigrate to Canada. I only offered my experience and advice when the OP ask for it.

If someone opens a thread and ask "I'm moving to Canada in 3 months, can you please tell me about car insurance, the best way to find a rental or whatever" I usually do not say anything or I offer a specific advice/opinion about the specific issue being asked (if I have any info to offer)..... they have already made their decision.

My personal experience has been positive overall but some people have starry eyes and expect unicorns about Canada...that is not the case.

As you know my main Canadian experience was mainly in Vancouver and all I said to people (again when they ask for opinions and/or advice) is that the COL is high, the RE prices are out of the world, the professional job market is lousy and the weather is lousy in winter (rain and lack of sunshine)....and these are issues where pretty much everybody agree...maybe, with a little bit of an effort, even you may concur.

I actually defended Vancouver occasionally from silly accusations and rants....remember here??

//www.city-data.com/forum/canad...l#post48349829

For example, when someone long time ago asked about Vancouver because he/she wanted to move away, if i remember correctly, from the southern US (for a variety of reasons) all I said that he/she should have considered Seattle instead because: 1) the OP would not have to deal with an immigration process, 2) You get the same Northwest lifestyle and vibes as in Vancouver and Vancouver would be only 2 1/2 hours away by car for a visit anyway 3) the job market is much better and COL (especially housing) is lower....sorry but that was common sense advice, nothing to do with "hating" Canada.
If I was the only one here that thought your passion to dis Canada and Vancouver was rampant, then I'd give you more room. Except I'm not.

Your record on CD stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World