Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather live in?
Mexico City 11 16.67%
New York City 55 83.33%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 02:16 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,185,741 times

Advertisements

Mexico City? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 05:21 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,449,440 times
Is this a joke thread?

This...
http://s3.thingpic.com/images/vG/tFw...a7T95sj4L.jpeg

vs this...
http://static5.businessinsider.com/i...d-me-money.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 11-01-2017 at 03:21 AM.. Reason: Copyright issues

Old 10-25-2017, 09:57 PM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Is this a joke thread?

This...

vs this...
Is this a joke post? Your NYC equivalent picture for what you chose for Mexico City would be like the most bombed out section of Newark. There is, of course, a difference in the level of development, but your choice of pictures in comparison is ridiculous.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:43 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
NYC is obviously a lot more developed but comparing the richest part of one city with the poorest part of another is bs

Old 10-25-2017, 11:09 PM

499 posts, read 793,814 times
Mexico City is a cool place. The street food is amazing and it's rapid bus system is among the best in the world.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:24 PM

10,080 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
If you had to live in either Mexico City or New York City, which would you choose and why?
I love both cities.

Mexico City is a great city, the most important city in the Spanish-speaking world. That's amazing! Only in the Portuguese-speaking world does the most important city is a city outside the mother country, in this case Sao Paulo in Brazil instead of Lisbon in Portugal.

If we look at other cultural spheres we don't see this. For example, in the French-speaking world the most important city is still Paris in France. In the English-speaking world the most important city is still London in England (New York City is a very close second, though.) In the Dutch-speaking world the most important city continue to be Amsterdam in The Netherlands. In the Russian-speaking world Moscow in Russia is still king.

The fact that Mexico City is the most important city in the entire Spanish-speaking world, surpassing even Madrid and Barcelona in Spain itself, is magnificent.

With that said, it must be recognized that the comparison between Mexico City and New York City is not fair because NYC is at another level.

I would most likely choose New York City.

Global Ranking of Cities: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/world2016t.html

Old 10-25-2017, 11:33 PM

10,080 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Ah, someone that has never been to Mexico City because only such a person would think most people in Mexico City live in slums or that the slums make up most of the urban landscape.

This is more representative of Mexico City:

Last edited by Rozenn; 11-01-2017 at 03:23 AM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 10-26-2017, 02:44 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,274 times
I've not been to Mexico City, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has better infrastructure than New York.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:56 AM

251 posts, read 396,335 times
NYC easily.

Who the heck would want to live in any city in Mexico?

Old 10-26-2017, 04:06 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
I voted for New York City. Reason being, it is wealthier, would seem to offer more opportunity, be safer, be more comfortable and less of a culture shock from where I am coming, etc.

That being said, while my first instinct was to immediately vote for NYC just because of, as others have mentioned, how outstanding it is, MC seriously deserves a second look here, and the bombed out picture is a very unfair means of comparison. Consider:
1. Mexico City is quite possibly the most important city in Spanish speaking world (only Madrid/Buenos Aires might compare).
2. A 2,000+ year history, with some of the most outstanding ancient archaeological sites in the world right there.
3. A dynamic, diverse, rapidly growing economy, including arguably the wealthiest man on earth (Slim).
4. Just about as many, if not more museums/cultural venues than any city on earth.
5. As good of a street food (and almost food scene in general), as any city in Latin America, possible Top 10 in world, has World's Largest Wholesale Market (I think).
6. Has the holiest site in the Western Hemisphere (Basilica Guadalupe), and distinctive 500 y/o historic neighborhoods that wouldn't at all look at all out of place in Europe.
7. Proximity to the most beautiful colonial towns (almost medieval in appearance) in the Americas (Guanajuato et al)
8. A super affordable cost of living compared to most major world cities anywhere. Relatively safe from what I understand.
9. Has 4.5 km. of elevation variance within 50 miles. One of best places in world to see active volcano (Popocatepetl)
10. Distinctive cultural traditions. Lucha Libre/Other Sports Passion, Mariachi Bands, Floats in Xochimilco, etc.

In short, it's the city in North America I most desire to visit at this point that I haven't been to. I wish I could go back and vote for it, because it deserves more than it is getting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World