Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more urban?
Toronto 45 70.31%
Sydney 19 29.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 04:02 AM

284 posts, read 331,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Based on what you guys are posting i'm seeing a lot of whites, greys and beige hues in Sydney. Toronto is definitely darker browns, reds etc in its old stock stuff.
Actually the larger old buildings in Sydney are almost always built with tan coloured sandstone because it's a material found throughout the Sydney basin. Sandstone is common even among new construction here today in tower podiums, interiors eg.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.872...7i16384!8i8192

Yeah the pre WW2 architecture in Sydney and Toronto does look relatively different. Kinda reinforces the point that you had more variety with historic architecture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
This is more about the inner city.
https://sydneylivingmuseums.com.au/s...olished-sydney
Randwick is one suburb where there are streets with a few beautiful Victorian mansions ( the area was settled by the Anglican Archbishop of Sydney) and every other sort of architecture. Lots of ugly post war walk up apartments opposite Californian bungalows, modern houses, all in one street. St Marks Rd comes to mind.
Thanks for that. Like I said I know some of those older buildings in the CBD were razed for the new towers and I know about the story with the QVB and the Rocks. As cities evolve with time it's inevitable some of the older buildings will be lost to make way for new ones. Perhaps one way around it as we see with some newer developments these days, is to keep the facades of the original building and build on top of it. But in Sydney's case thankfully a lot of the older areas like Paddington or Glebe are left intact. Even within the CBD there's a lot of Victorian and Art deco buildings preserved.

Last edited by ciTydude123; 08-07-2022 at 05:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 01:47 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciTydude123 View Post
Actually the larger old buildings in Sydney are almost always built with tan coloured sandstone because it's a material found throughout the Sydney basin. Sandstone is common even among new construction here today in tower podiums, interiors eg.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.872...7i16384!8i8192
Gotcha! Sandstone is also found in Ontario and was used in buildings, but the pervasive red and brown I'm referring to was due to a quarry in Toronto, that produced bricks from clay along the don river that 'baked' red. Some interesting geology in both cities, that impacted the colour of the buildings.

Btw those buildings in your link are fantastic!

As always i'll try to include something similar for Toronto - this being the Old City Hall

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6519...7i16384!8i8192

Old 08-13-2022, 09:19 AM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Toronto.

Old 08-13-2022, 03:05 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Il say Sydney.

Toronto felt more suburban or sprawly, even with more high rises.

Both are similar.

Old 08-13-2022, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Il say Sydney.

Toronto felt more suburban or sprawly, even with more high rises.

Both are similar.
Toronto and specifically Old Toronto is built in such a way that it has a lot of old vics which are on established leafy green streets that are usually very close walk to busy commercial urban arterials.

For example this street not far from the DT core could be forgiven to be called 'suburban' in feel if you take the street alone

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.66672...7i16384!8i8192

that is a 5 minute walk to this

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.66528...7i16384!8i8192

So my point is, even though the street alone is suburban in feel, it is very close to an urban commercial strip, with with a very high walk Score, close to all amenities you would need within walking distance and access to mass transit. Living on that street if you work DT you simply would not need a car at all. Do they have cars yes, they can afford them!

That all said, Toronto isn't without its suburban/exurban sprawl but in North America anyway, and of the 10 largest urban areas it is probably one of the least sprawly and more compact large metro's. U.S metro's for example are typically far more sprawly and sparsely populated.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-13-2022 at 05:31 PM..

Old 08-16-2022, 10:00 PM

809 posts, read 468,818 times
Quote:
Toronto and specifically Old Toronto is built in such a way that it has a lot of old vics which are on established leafy green streets that are usually very close walk to busy commercial urban arterials.

For example this street not far from the DT core could be forgiven to be called 'suburban' in feel if you take the street alone

So my point is, even though the street alone is suburban in feel, it is very close to an urban commercial strip, with with a very high walk Score, close to all amenities you would need within walking distance and access to mass transit. Living on that street if you work DT you simply would not need a car at all. Do they have cars yes, they can afford them!

That all said, Toronto isn't without its suburban/exurban sprawl but in North America anyway, and of the 10 largest urban areas it is probably one of the least sprawly and more compact large metro's. U.S metro's for example are typically far more sprawly and sparsely populated.
To answer the OP, today it's Toronto given the advantage of current infill developments sans the condo high rises. Sydney is building better public transit connections and has better long-range urban planning than Toronto for the future in my view, given the different degree of provincial influence in planning (NSW gov't is on it vs. Ontario - there needs to be a new GTA regional plan). Not sure what sprawly US metros have to do with this topic as that's not the focus here, and quite frankly Toronto will never reach peak New York City density nor transit connectivity.

Old 08-16-2022, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
To answer the OP, today it's Toronto given the advantage of current infill developments sans the condo high rises. Sydney is building better public transit connections and has better long-range urban planning than Toronto for the future in my view, given the different degree of provincial influence in planning (NSW gov't is on it vs. Ontario - there needs to be a new GTA regional plan). Not sure what sprawly US metros have to do with this topic as that's not the focus here, and quite frankly Toronto will never reach peak New York City density nor transit connectivity.
Actually there is a regional plan for Toronto's transit that is called metrolinx

https://www.metrolinx.com/en/aboutus..._us_index.aspx

There are multiple subway lines, LRT lines and regional rail expansion exceeding over 30 billion dollars in investments and counting..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrolinx

My comment on sprawl was to put it in context that for a North American city, it actually is one of the least sprawly on the continent, including the region that poster who made the comment was from. So I thought the comment was kind of rich. It also anchors a region significantly larger than the population the region Sydney anchors, so naturally it will be more expansive but across the board, Toronto is more dense than Sydney and it doesn't appear to be more 'sprawly' by any measure.

As for NYC - Toronto's on a strong growth trajectory. NYC CSA is not growing strongly so over time - never say never - always a dangerous thing to do! Oddly enough, Toronto's suburban 'sprawl' is actually of a more dense variety than NYC's. I was also referring to cities more in league with Toronto ie under 10 million people.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-16-2022 at 10:40 PM..

Old 08-16-2022, 10:43 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:

I agree.

Toronto’s suburban areas are more compact than Boston, Chicago or even New York. Just 0.5mi outside of Manhattan are sprawling suburbs with big yards.

Old 08-17-2022, 01:57 PM

444 posts, read 282,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
There are transit projects in every part of the city of Toronto right now, Toronto and even the suburbs don't lack in transit projects, i doubt Sydney is spending 30 billion in transit right now as Toronto is.

This video best explains all the ongoing transit projects in Toronto

Old 08-17-2022, 02:46 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
There are transit projects in every part of the city of Toronto right now, Toronto and even the suburbs don't lack in transit projects, i doubt Sydney is spending 30 billion in transit right now as Toronto is.

This video best explains all the ongoing transit projects in Toronto

The New South Wales state budget for 2022 included

$6.1 billion over next four years for Sydney Metro – City and Southwest. The Budget also reported the estimated spend to June 2021 as $10.1 billion.

$12.0 billion over next four years for Sydney Metro – West. The Budget also reported the estimated spend to June 2021 as $2.2 billion.

$8.0 billion over next four years for Sydney Metro – Western Sydney Airport. This included Federal Government's contribution.

So that is 12.3 billion already spent on constructing the partially completed (and currently un operational), metro west, metro west Sydney, and Metro City South West Lines. with another 26.1 billion in the pipe line for the Metro Alone.

The above does not include additional projects like the Parramatta light rail. (2.4 Billion AUD), which will have its first stage open next year.

Currently I AUD gets around 90c CAD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World