Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more urban?
Toronto 45 70.31%
Sydney 19 29.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 09:40 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times

Advertisements

It's pretty damn cold this early !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 09:49 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
It's pretty damn cold this early !
Yes, close to record lows for this date in Ontario and Quebec.

It's not uncommon to get a dusting of snow at this time of year (even in late October sometimes) but for it to be this cold this early is extremely rare.

I don't think it will be lasting long, though.

Just to give you an idea it's 2C in NYC right now and feels like -2C.

Tonight with the wind chill it will feel like -12C or about 11F in NYC.

And we're not even in mid-November yet.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:52 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times
yeah, 2c max in early november in NYC is quite something too. Apparently it should return to normal conditions.

That said, I'd probably take a sunny 2c there over our super humid overcast 10c average november day

At least the weather there is varied...

Old 11-10-2017, 11:06 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Really? Perhaps you should go back and read the entire thread.
That's totally not the point. You should read my previous posts regarding the poor structure of the OP's question. The problem lies with the OP (and funnily, the guy is now banned). This has nothing to do with the other posts in this thread.

The the title says "which is more urban", and the body of the question is on about vibrancy and walkability: Does the OP mean which is more urban or which is more vibrant and walkable? These are all mutually exclusive. Toronto may be more urbane, but Sydney can be far more vibrant for many other people.

P.S. Since my last post, Sydney has gotten more votes btw.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:44 AM

284 posts, read 331,144 times
Wouldn't get too hung up on votes imo. They're merely the opinions of people, regardless of which way it goes. Besides you have to wonder how many people who voted has actually been to both cities, regardless of what they voted for

Old 11-11-2017, 07:52 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
That's totally not the point. You should read my previous posts regarding the poor structure of the OP's question. The problem lies with the OP (and funnily, the guy is now banned). This has nothing to do with the other posts in this thread.

The the title says "which is more urban", and the body of the question is on about vibrancy and walkability: Does the OP mean which is more urban or which is more vibrant and walkable? These are all mutually exclusive. Toronto may be more urbane, but Sydney can be far more vibrant for many other people.

P.S. Since my last post, Sydney has gotten more votes btw.
I agree that the OP was poorly formulated but not sure Sydney is clearly way more vibrant than Toronto.

I would agree that Sydney as a smaller city does punch above its weight in this respect. This is due to the better urban structure over a wider area that I alluded to in an earlier post. That's why I think the two cities compare quite favourably to each other in terms of vibrancy.

Old 07-09-2022, 02:40 AM

51 posts, read 96,645 times
I have never been to Sydney. However, what people tell me who have (and yes I have lived in T.O.) tell
me that although it does sprawl a fair bit, there is a much more extensive transit system there, train, subway, and tramway. There are numerous high rises comparable in height to the Toronto CBD, yet the styles
of architecture seem to render to Toronto more austere, powerful, and really big vibes. The city rail systems have both subways and commuter trains, but it seems Sydney has more of that.
And then there's Sydney Harbour, the ocean and the beautiful suburbs facing it, the Harbour Bridge, and above all (but totally unrelated yet a vital part of each) .... the climate !!!

Old 07-11-2022, 08:57 AM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
I have never been to Sydney. However, what people tell me who have (and yes I have lived in T.O.) tell
me that although it does sprawl a fair bit, there is a much more extensive transit system there, train, subway, and tramway. There are numerous high rises comparable in height to the Toronto CBD, yet the styles
of architecture seem to render to Toronto more austere, powerful, and really big vibes. The city rail systems have both subways and commuter trains, but it seems Sydney has more of that.
And then there's Sydney Harbour, the ocean and the beautiful suburbs facing it, the Harbour Bridge, and above all (but totally unrelated yet a vital part of each) .... the climate !!!

Yea, Sydney's version of "commuter rail" is run like a S-Bahn of sorts so it ends up being quite useful. For comparison, Sydney Rail's pre-pandemic ridership was 377.1 million rides annually while Toronto subway's system was 416 million and Go Transit's rail was around 11 million so Sydney Rail takes on a lot of the rapid transit like ridership that Toroto's subway system does as part of its "commuter rail" system. GO Transit in Toronto is right now trying to undergo a similar transformation to become useful in that sense while Sydney has been creating a separate subway system as well, so both are moving towards each other from two different directions.

Old 07-12-2022, 03:09 AM

284 posts, read 331,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
For comparison, Sydney Rail's pre-pandemic ridership was 377.1 million rides annually while Toronto subway's system was 416 million and Go Transit's rail was around 11 million so Sydney Rail takes on a lot of the rapid transit like ridership that Toroto's subway system does as part of its "commuter rail" system.
There's a difference in how the figures are derived in that APTA counts unlinked trips where trips involving transfers are double counted, whereas Sydney Trains doesn't double count transfers and they're treated as a single trip.

Ridership on Sydney's transport system has effectively halved since the pandemic though last month there was a bit of an increase. How are the North American systems coping?

Old 07-12-2022, 01:45 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciTydude123 View Post
There's a difference in how the figures are derived in that APTA counts unlinked trips where trips involving transfers are double counted, whereas Sydney Trains doesn't double count transfers and they're treated as a single trip.

Ridership on Sydney's transport system has effectively halved since the pandemic though last month there was a bit of an increase. How are the North American systems coping?
I see--I wonder if there's a good way to get an apples to apples comparison.

US transit systems are also so far taking a hit. I don't know what's going on in Toronto, but MTA in NYC has been tracking things here: https://new.mta.info/coronavirus/ridership

At the worst point, ridership was down to 5% (so a drop of 95%) from its previous 2019 pre-pandemic peak. Now for most modes it's hovering in the 50-60% range on weekdays with weekends generally faring better as commuter rail sometimes hit previous peaks on weekends though note that this is without the full return of service frequencies and with the subway undergoing a lot of planned service outages for repairs and maintenance. I suspect it'll be another two years or so before the overall ridership numbers return to the pre-pandemic peak and this would be with the finishing of a few projects. The thing I really wish NYC would do is to run the commuter rail system(s) here the way Sydney Trains runs its system where it essentially doubles as an express rapid transit line through the core of the city. It's kind of nuts, but right now New Jersey Transit trains during peak hours actually go clear through to the other side of Manhattan and then under the East River to Queens where they turn around because doing a turnaround at Penn Station as a terminal station is too inefficient. Unfortunately, those NJT trains aren't allowed to carry anyone past the point of Penn Station so they sit empty going across Manhattan and then into Queens and then are empty again while they get back to Penn Station in Manhattan before they can carry people. It's pretty functionally stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World