Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 02:11 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No. Organised religion created the tax system. Religious authority is much older than government authority. Organised religion is also the first welfare office.

Hammurabi might've most of the judiciary authority, but the religion had the taxation.

Taxation is neither bound to a central government. Tributes to a warlord was taxation though he had no other control of a neighbouring tribe.
I say all governments take taxes. You say tax system was not created by government.
No logic connection at all.

BTW maybe not all ancient cultures had very well organized religions (I do not know). At least according to what I learned in class, religion has never been crucial in ancient China, though it existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 03:02 AM

779 posts, read 595,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Here is a list of countries by tax rates:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_tax_rates

It looks like countries that pay the highest taxes have also the happiest citizens. They are happy because these societies are not only prosperous but also with high equality, social trust and honesty of government. They enjoy long paid vacations, zero out-of-pocket costs of health care, zero or low tuition costs and quality public services for all, etc...
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/09/the-...-in-taxes.html
So if those 'very happy' countries lowered their taxes, their 'happiness' would also go down, no?

To me, it seems that people in those 'very happy' countries are fine with their govs. taking a large portion of their salary and playing sugar daddy with it, 'taking care' of them so to speak. If Big Daddy got your back, you can have a more carefree existence. Not something I personally approve of but to each their own.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:21 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Here is a list of countries by tax rates:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_tax_rates

It looks like countries that pay the highest taxes have also the happiest citizens. They are happy because these societies are not only prosperous but also with high equality, social trust and honesty of government. They enjoy long paid vacations, zero out-of-pocket costs of health care, zero or low tuition costs and quality public services for all, etc...
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/09/the-...-in-taxes.html
There are plenty of unhappy countries with extremely heavy tax burdens as well. High tax =/= happiness.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:39 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Many African countries are like this. If you don’t live in Lagos or FCT you don’t pay taxes in Nigeria. Take in mind Lagos and FCT make up roughly 10-15% of the population yet pay roughly 70% or more of all taxes in Nigeria. This is because the other parts of the country not dominated by oil can’t enforce their tax system well seeing as they don’t even know the number of people who live in their area let alone tax them.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:41 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I say all governments take taxes. You say tax system was not created by government.
No logic connection at all.
Not in 4000 BC. That was what I was referring to.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:46 AM

400 posts, read 292,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Many African countries are like this. If you don’t live in Lagos or FCT you don’t pay taxes in Nigeria. Take in mind Lagos and FCT make up roughly 10-15% of the population yet pay roughly 70% or more of all taxes in Nigeria. This is because the other parts of the country not dominated by oil can’t enforce their tax system well seeing as they don’t even know the number of people who live in their area let alone tax them.
Why don’t they know the number of people in their area?

Old 11-02-2017, 01:31 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
We all love to complain about taxes, but I agree that when you see your tax dollars working, it removes a bit of the sting. My only complaint is not so much about paying tax, but waste in government.

I really feel that sometimes people who live in Canada forget what their taxes give them, from all levels of government. They just take it for granted that the streets will be repaired, lighting will be upgraded, sewers maintained and improved.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:17 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Of coure we do, through 3 levels of government. Though Australia is no where near "the most taxed country on earth" as some people here like to say. Paying tax is not something i worry about.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:21 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selen View Post
Why don’t they know the number of people in their area?
Not all babies are born in Hospitals and due to our system being setup to like it is their is political incentive for certain populations to be higher or lower.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:20 AM

400 posts, read 292,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Not all babies are born in Hospitals and due to our system being setup to like it is their is political incentive for certain populations to be higher or lower.
All babies don’t need to be born in the hospital for the government to have a census system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World