U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 04:56 PM

7,294 posts, read 14,139,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Carolina,

Are you serious? Well, if you move the movie industry from LA, and the Oil Industry from Houston and Wall Street from NY, then (Insert crazy comment here). That's why DC is unique! Because it is the nation's politcal capital. You can't take that away. NYC is the financial and media capital. LA is the movie capital and Houston is the energy capital.

Don't handicap DC! As for worldwide -I gave you a great example. Did the Cuban Missile Crisis affect the US or the World. Don't answer right away.
Ok. Well. That's your opinion. The "world cities" diagram above proves that I'm not alone on this one.

And, by the way, I think LA or NYC would be down, but FAR from out, if you took away the industries you mentioned. Especially NYC.

As for the Cuban Missile Crisis... what about any of that was specific to DC as a city? That was a national affair. Not a local one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 05:14 PM

5,286 posts, read 9,086,180 times
Your comment proves my point! Yes it was a national affair, So what. Where did the decision come from. Are UN decisions local or national? And LA wouldn't be LA without the movies and DC wouldn't be DC without politics. I agree NY has more than one thing going for it but if you were to take away its financial power and media power then it wouldn't be as important as it is.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:19 PM

9,324 posts, read 24,770,541 times
All I know is that I do not care to live in any of them. I hope that increased high-tech and connectivity makes "centers" obsolete. Power can and should be distributed.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:28 PM

3,047 posts, read 8,423,617 times
Quote:
Your comment proves my point! Yes it was a national affair, So what. Where did the decision come from. Are UN decisions local or national? And LA wouldn't be LA without the movies and DC wouldn't be DC without politics. I agree NY has more than one thing going for it but if you were to take away its financial power and media power then it wouldn't be as important as it is.

i've gotta give DC an A+ for effort here. but i like Carolina's point.

at the end of the day it's a heavy weight battle between London and New York City.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
All I know is that I do not care to live in any of them. I hope that increased high-tech and connectivity makes "centers" obsolete. Power can and should be distributed.
Tools from agrarian "forward capitals" to the electoral college already ensure power distribution that arguably gives undue influence to areas without the population to warrant them.

I've felt my own physiocratic urges from time to time, but I think higher fuel costs alone may usher in even greater centralization of population.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
UN decisions are international. By definition.

I don't think NYC seeks or gets credit for any decision the UN makes.

That's actually exactly my point.

At any rate, it's clear we'll have to agree to disagree.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:02 PM

940 posts, read 2,953,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
this is the typical american mind set. however, you would be suprirsed at how well london stacks up against new york city.

take it from New York's very own newspaper which mentions how powerful cities such as Hong Kong, Chicago and London are:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/27/bu.../27london.html
honestly, i don't care what the papers say. facts speak for themselves. new york is undeniably the financial capital of the world with the most stock exchanges, has the worlds largest gdp, has the worlds most influential immigration/cultural history, has the worlds best functioning public transportation system, is an entertainment hub with nearly all broadcast stations located there, is extremely vibrant and bustling, has the worlds most recognizable skyline, is the worlds most known city, times square is the most visited site in the world in yearly figures, the UN is located there, do you even have to call me a typical american? if the answer was london, i'd say london. if the answer was paris, i'd say paris. if the answer was tokyo or hong kong, i'd say tokyo or hong kong. the fact is, no one comes even close to nyc!!! particularly manhattan!!!

Old 03-18-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
NYC is the most influential but come on. Get serious! DC by a landslide. If North Korea or China starts to act up, who are you gonna turn to for answers. NYC? LA? Chicago? Decisions made in DC shape the free world.

Cuban Missile Crisis is a prime example!
September 11th is another example!

I would also add that your list of ranking cities is outdated. Hong Kong is the financial capital of China but all of China's decisions are made in Bejing.
DC has the most political influence in the world, but politics do not control the free world (in america, granted by the united states constitution, which does not belong to DC, but to the american people). because of this, you can say all you want about DC being the most powerful, but it is the people of the united states that endow DCs power.

with that being said, new york city is the most tangible powerful city in the world!

Last edited by SouthCali4LifeSD; 03-18-2008 at 06:17 PM..

Old 03-18-2008, 06:14 PM

money is power. new york city has the bulk of the worlds billionaires. the bulk of america's billion dollar companies are located in nyc. therefore, new york is power. both intangibly and tangibly. can't get more powerful then that!

Old 03-18-2008, 06:43 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,784,048 times
Media has a lot of power. Los Angeles is home for media/Hollywood. I vote LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World