Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 03:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yeah I get that they're less densely populated - but they extend a lot farther. New York's continuous urban area is a lot larger than London - take a comparable area in the UK and you have lots of towns dotted all over the place.
While probably not the same level, the NYC region has plenty of old towns scattered within it. The Northeast coastal area is the most like England in that sense. Compare NYC to Chicago. Go out of Chicago there's far fewer towns and cities with a separate history from Chicago and then in most directions except to Milwaukee, farmland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 03:38 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby. View Post
When did I ever say that? New York and London are nearly identical in population.

London population: 8.308 million
New York population: 8.337 million

London "area" population (according to the Greater London Authority): 21 million
New York combined statistical area population: 23 million

I am not picking at London. I actually love London but the hyperbole coming from you Londerners in regards to importance is ridiculous. There seems to be a new ranking every month that is either commission by the city of London or written by London property consultants i.e. Knight Frank, which seem to desperately want to sway public opinion into believing that London is clearly #1 in everything. You will never see such rankings originating from the U.S. or New York. From reading the web, one city looks very confident with its status and one city is wailing everywhere screaming how great it is. It's getting a bit stale now. But it's expected as the U.S. blew past U.K. in terms of wealth and importance many decades ago, and since the U.K. doing better now, it appears to be orchestrating a huge campaign to boost the U.K. and London's profile.
That's quite strange because the figures I am usually presented with on forums like this generally show London having a far smaller metro population. So even though you present no links to back up your assertion I do agree that London's Metro population is not that far behind NYC's.

At least we agree on something.

If any city is confident with it's status it's London, indeed we certainly don't need to go to the NYC Forums and start making assertions in the same way some individuals have done in respect of the London and UK Forums. Indeed I can't even recall visiting the NYC Forum and have no real interest in doing so, however in terms of the ST Rich List it is generally considered as a very worthy and accurate list in both the UK and throughout the world.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:15 PM

296 posts, read 469,163 times
Quote:
Oh, and according to the latest "Global Financial Centres" index, New York is now the #1 Financial Capital of the world.

So New York's aggregate score is even higher.
Remember two years ago when the popular media labelled London the new fashion capital of the world? The fashion industry mostly laughed at the suggestion because it was patently obvious to anyone who worked in the industry that NY was the undisputed capital of fashion. Fashion week revolves around the NY schedule, its fashion industry is much more prestigious and influential.

The same holds true in finance, except conversely. The GFCI may label NY to be the new financial capital of the world, but anyone who actually works in the industry knows that it's London; and that the global financial system and the trading day for financial hubs from Chicago to Shang Hai to Tokyo revolve around the working day in London.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:31 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBucks View Post
Remember two years ago when the popular media labelled London the new fashion capital of the world? The fashion industry mostly laughed at the suggestion because it was patently obvious to anyone who worked in the industry that NY was the undisputed capital of fashion. Fashion week revolves around the NY schedule, its fashion industry is much more prestigious and influential.

The same holds true in finance, except conversely. The GFCI may label NY to be the new financial capital of the world, but anyone who actually works in the industry knows that it's London; and that the global financial system and the trading day for financial hubs from Chicago to Shang Hai to Tokyo revolve around the working day in London.
Who laughed exactly? Anyway surely Milan is the fashion capital of the world. I don't know anybody outside the US that thinks New York is!

Old 05-14-2014, 04:42 PM

872 posts, read 1,385,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Who laughed exactly? Anyway surely Milan is the fashion capital of the world. I don't know anybody outside the US that thinks New York is!
Presumably, your best bet would be to speak to someone who has had a press pass to NYFW in recent years.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:47 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Many studies have been done on this time and again. here is a map outlining the most powerful cities in the entire world:

I personally believe it is London, England.
I agree. On the global playing field, London appears to be taking over.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:15 PM

296 posts, read 469,163 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it was Diane von Furstenberg, among others, if I can dig up the quotes from two three years ago.

NY lacks the deeply reputable historical european brand names in Milan and Paris, but as a commercial industry and trend setter it is eminently bigger and more influential. Fashion week is very much busier with more shows, more industry employees, more venues, specialized infrastructure (the garment center) etc. And of course Vogue is headquartered there.

Last edited by BennyBucks; 05-14-2014 at 07:06 PM..

Old 05-14-2014, 09:06 PM

409 posts, read 587,657 times
Quote:
When did I ever say that? New York and London are nearly identical in population.
New York is much larger than London. Yes, the city propers have semi-similar population, but NYC is less than half the physical size of London, yet still has greater population.

And everyone knows city propers are useless as a direct comparison. This is especially true because in the case of London the technical municipality is Greater London, which is not a city in the American context.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBucks View Post
financial hubs from Chicago to Shang Hai to Tokyo revolve around the working day in London.
If you think "Chicago, Shanghai and Tokyo" are major financial hubs, then you don't know finance. Tokyo, maybe, but still far behind HK and Singapore these days. Shanghai, huge stretch, light years behind HK and Singapore, and Chicago? Just no. Nothing but derivatives trading. No investment banking or private equity.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Paris and New York are, by far, the most important fashion hubs. Milan is a distant third. London is a distant fourth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World