U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,628 times

Advertisements

>>Would you say New York is really still the center of the universe? bc London, Hong Kong, Toronto, Tokyo, Shanghi, Moscow or even another U.S. city? Just to see what the census is bc recently it seems the world is at least catching up to us in everything if not surpassing us.<< Center of the universe for what-diversity of people, culture, music, finance? I have traveled to almost 60 countries and most large cities in the US but not to Asia-have been to Saudi Arabia, New Zealand and Australia.

All in all though I think NYC. London, Dubai, Shanghai for the money. I was in Moscow when it was part of the USSR-don't know how it is now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 08:31 AM

470 posts, read 1,400,052 times
Keep in mind, NYC is a totally different kind of city.
Places like London, Moscow, Tokyo, are like DC, They're the capital.

NYC's power was built like all the buildings, built from the ground up.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:11 AM

546 posts, read 1,992,494 times
NYC gets my vote. Just because all the financial markets are there. Whoever said DC is way off. Second place would probably be either London or somewhere in the Mideast since that's where all the oil is.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:43 PM

895 posts, read 2,215,469 times
Tokyo, we also own most of the american debt

Old 04-01-2008, 01:18 PM

2,053 posts, read 2,409,939 times
As soon as you use the word power you are basically talking political power, and the seat of government of the U.S., the only superpower in the world, is D.C. Indisputable, whatever else you think of D.C..
NYC is the most powerful financial center in the World, but that doesn't carry the same weight as political power. And NYC is losing some momentum to London now.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:58 PM

4,126 posts, read 4,690,129 times
Vatican city.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:04 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,749,449 times
Default Nyc

I also think NYC is (still) the most powerful city in the world, but maybe tomorrow it could be Beijing.
And now, let's have a laugh : I live in Paris, and guess what ? the French think the most powerful city in France is Brussels (Belgium)!

Old 04-03-2008, 07:45 AM

8,087 posts, read 11,896,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT13 View Post
Politically - it's definitely DC
Financially - I'd say it's London
Entertainment/Media - LA (Hollywood)
An answer that makes good sense. The US, and so New York, has declined as a financial center due to such idiocy as the Patriot Act, Sarbanes Oaxley and other burdensome regulations. This can be objectively measured by such indicators as the number of IPOs, to cite one.

London is much more at the cross-roads linking several continents than New York. All the major US investment banks - not to mention commercial and investment banks from all over the world - have huge operations in London, more so than in New York, and the head of them is one powerful figure. London is more internationally diversified, even to the naked eye, and I am sure it would pass objective tests ... and these aspects were the case already in the 1990s, while New York has lost further ground recently due to the reasons mentioned above.

If I worked directly in international finance, I would choose London over New York any day, there are so many more opportunities.

Last edited by bale002; 04-03-2008 at 07:57 AM..

Old 04-03-2008, 10:26 PM

9,203 posts, read 13,573,203 times
The most powerful city is Tel Aviv, Israel which is the center of the Jewish conspiracy dominating global politics and economy.

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!

I'd go with London, where the most money changes hands and its the most important city in Europe.

Other powerful cities:

- Beijing, China
- TOkyo, Japan
- Brussels, Belgium (HQ for the European Union)
- Hong Kong

Unfortunately the profile of Beijing and Shanghai will only increase as China becomes more and more powerful. Tokyo is already shadowed not only by China but by Indian cities like Bombay.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:27 PM

9,203 posts, read 13,573,203 times
Moscow has more billionaires than anywhere else in the world and is still a powerful city though its prosperity is unusual for Russia, the rest of which is heavily impoverished since the end of the Cold War. Russia is now aligning itself with China partly why its prestige is increasing again. The rise of Russia and China is a danger that the United States and the West will have to counter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World