U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:02 AM

5 posts, read 15,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Moscow has more billionaires than anywhere else in the world and is still a powerful city though its prosperity is unusual for Russia, the rest of which is heavily impoverished since the end of the Cold War. Russia is now aligning itself with China partly why its prestige is increasing again. The rise of Russia and China is a danger that the United States and the West will have to counter.
Actually, New York City has the most billionaires in the world now. In 2008, there are around 70 Billionaires in New York City.

I honestly think New York is the most powerful city in the world. New York is still the financial capital , a melting pot, the world's fashion capital (although that is disputable) and feels more edgy and cosmopolitan than London, Paris, Tokyo, and Hong Kong (and I've been to all of them.) As someone mentioned earlier, all these cities that rival New York are all capitals of their respective countries, but New York built it's way up by itself into what I think is the greatest city in the world.

In the United States, compare New York to large cities like L.A., Washington D.C. and Chicago which are just being hammered by that dreadful recession/sub-prime mortgage mess which has resulted in crumbling real estate values. I was reading the New York Times and the average price for an apartment in Manhattan climbed to $1.7 Million for this quarter and the median is $950,000+ while every other city in USA has sank!

New York is a powerhouse. London after New York, then Tokyo then Hong Kong then Paris.

Last edited by Euroboy1; 04-04-2008 at 12:12 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 02:47 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,764,035 times
To Euroboy : you're making a mistake there, Hong Kong is NOT the Capital of China (and is NOT an independent country either).

Old 04-04-2008, 12:01 PM

5 posts, read 15,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
To Euroboy : you're making a mistake there, Hong Kong is NOT the Capital of China (and is NOT an independent country either).
My mistake, I meant London and Tokyo.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 5,369 times
[SIZE=3]I think NYC is the most famous and most powerful city in the world. It is one of worlds most powerful Financial Capital, also lets not forget about Fashion, or Entertainment, or the Famous Land Marks or should I keep going.? I am not saying the other cities do not come close to NYC, but if you look at the big picture, NYC by far is and will always be the most powerful city to date. Also, just want to say countries like UK, France, Russia, China, etc.. have one or two major cities and one or two small mini major city. Of course London is going to be big and powerful city, because England, how many big cities are there? Or what about China, or Japan, etc.. In America I can name powerful cities with out even thinking about it. NYC, LA, DC, Chicago, Boston, should I keep going.? If America focused its money, power, etc. to one city, I will put my life on it, that there will be no city in the world that can come close to it. So all you guys that love London, Tokyo, etc.., think how many famous and powerful cities those countries have. GOD BLESS NYC
[/SIZE]

Old 04-08-2008, 07:53 PM

3 posts, read 29,867 times
Beijing easily.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:06 AM

8,126 posts, read 11,935,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroboy1 View Post

I honestly think New York is the most powerful city in the world. New York is still the financial capital , a melting pot ... and feels more edgy and cosmopolitan than London ...
Well, it can legitimately be a question of personal perception then. I perceived the reverse: London is more cosmopolitan and offers the individual even more career opportunities in the financial industry than New York.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:12 PM
edk

95 posts, read 523,459 times
I have heard it said that im New York, an optimist teaches his kids Russian. A pessimist teaches them Chinese.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:22 PM

4 posts, read 19,996 times
The capital city of the world(or most powerful) is determined by one thing, and one thing only: the impact the city has on the global economy. Nothing that happens in London's economy has ever trickled down and hurt all the other economies on Earth. But every economist in the world constantly watches NYC to determine the health of the world's economy.

The same goes for America as a whole. You don't ever hear anyone say "Global markets are plunging due to recession fears in France", or anywhere else for that matter.

The UN Headquarters are where?

Which city is the Fashion Capital of the World?(Sorry Milan)

The largest Stock Exchange in the world is in what city?

What about cultural influence?

I don't see or know anyone that is influenced by London.

I can go anywhere in the world and see some wannabe rapper(Originally from NY, rap, that is) wearing a sideways New York Yankees Cap(No mistaking the Yankees logo anywhere you go)

Old 04-18-2008, 06:34 PM

14 posts, read 48,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
honestly, i don't care what the papers say. facts speak for themselves. new york is undeniably the financial capital of the world with the most stock exchanges, has the worlds largest gdp, has the worlds most influential immigration/cultural history, has the worlds best functioning public transportation system, is an entertainment hub with nearly all broadcast stations located there, is extremely vibrant and bustling, has the worlds most recognizable skyline, is the worlds most known city, times square is the most visited site in the world in yearly figures, the UN is located there, do you even have to call me a typical american? if the answer was london, i'd say london. if the answer was paris, i'd say paris. if the answer was tokyo or hong kong, i'd say tokyo or hong kong. the fact is, no one comes even close to nyc!!! particularly manhattan!!!
tokyo has the world's largest gdp pls!

Old 04-19-2008, 12:03 PM

32 posts, read 93,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzachuck View Post
The capital city of the world(or most powerful) is determined by one thing, and one thing only: the impact the city has on the global economy. Nothing that happens in London's economy has ever trickled down and hurt all the other economies on Earth. But every economist in the world constantly watches NYC to determine the health of the world's economy.

The same goes for America as a whole. You don't ever hear anyone say "Global markets are plunging due to recession fears in France", or anywhere else for that matter.

The UN Headquarters are where?

Which city is the Fashion Capital of the World?(Sorry Milan)

The largest Stock Exchange in the world is in what city?

What about cultural influence?

I don't see or know anyone that is influenced by London.

I can go anywhere in the world and see some wannabe rapper(Originally from NY, rap, that is) wearing a sideways New York Yankees Cap(No mistaking the Yankees logo anywhere you go)
From an Irish/European point of view. I do very much agree with hzachuck.
As the saying goes when America sneezes the whole World catches the Flu.

With NYC being the financial kingpin of America, It has to be The Most Powerful city in the world. I would reckon second place is Washington D.C.
Headquarters of the Federal Reserve System. Where a speech from the chairman can knock billions off stock exchanges and currencies around the world including China. As hzachuck states, whatever happens in London, Tokyo or Paris financially has little or no effect on the rest of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World