Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 03:14 AM

2 posts, read 10,519 times

Advertisements

Washington
New York
London
Shanghai
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 08:34 AM

237 posts, read 870,711 times
New York (NYSE stock exchange is about 5 times larger than the 2nd largest stock exchange in the world)
Washington (US has the most powerful military in the world)
Moscow (Russia has about the same if not more nuclear missiles than the US)
Tokyo (Japan has the 2nd largest economy, Japan's technology might be the most advanced in the world)
Beijing

Jerusalem (Jews and Christians believe that God will rule the world from Jerusalem)

Old 06-12-2008, 01:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
New york for business.Washington DC for basic power.But they are not the be all ;end all they once were.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:10 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmike View Post
ok then if you don't want to use area
Greater London has 7.3 million people
London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Greater Chicago has 9.5 million people
Greater Toronto has about 6 million people
There's a reason Toronto has the busiest highway in the world, it's greater area covers a similar size and has a population similar to Chicago.
It is exactly what I said. Your figures was largely exagerated.

Quote:
not much of a difference according to that but if you look at the areas population it's clearly

London then Chicago with Toronto close to Chicago.
Not much difference now, but larger difference with the first figures you put on the board.

Quote:
China's largest export destination : US
Economist.com | Country Briefings: China
if you include Hong Kong as part of China then Chinese exports to US are about 2.5 times larger than Chinese exports to its 2nd largest export market Japan.
People's Daily Online -- Figures: Top 10 trade partners of China's mainland in January-August 2005
Chinese exports 10-20 percent more to US than all of Europe.

EU's largest export destination : US http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/doc...doc_122529.pdf
major EU exports partners : 1 US 267.6 billion dollars, 2 Switzerland 86 billion dollars 3 Russia about 72 billion 4 China about 63 billion

EU exports to US are equal to the EU's second, third, fourth, and fifth largest export partners combined.

Japan's largest export destination : US Exports to the US are almost 33 percent larger than exports to China
Economist.com | Country Briefings: Japan

the US is still the world's largest export destination by a lot,
But I didn't tell you the US was not a big player, I just tell you that the US wasn't the only player anymore.

Quote:
and so the world economy relies on the US a lot more than on China and the EU.
It's not true, as far as I know just the Eurozone now is richer than the US...

Reuters

Sorry but I prefer the datas from tReteurs than the one from Wikipedia....

Quote:
A lot of those comparisons you give of Toronto to London or Paris are irrelevant since Milan and Singapore are also far from those cities but are listed in the same class.
I didn't make any comparison between these cities, I just said if you talked about the city of toronto with 8 millions of people you have to take in account the same kind of urban area and then it means you will have London with 14 millions of people and Paris at 15 millions of people. These figures are not accurate of course, for one reason, they have been never studied very closely and the second is when you are making a comparison with London, NY , PAris, and Tokyo you take in account just the urban area and not the metropolitan area. This kind of comparison with paris will push you to take the cities of

Rouen : 500 thousands of people
Orleans : 250
Reims : 200
Tours : 300
etc

And plenty of cities like this..... It's not possible and it doesn't make sens, so if you like to make toronto bigger than she is.... it's up to you.... after all I don't care. and again, you say there is 6 millions in Toronto.... well, far from it to me, it's closed to 5 millions for the metropolitan area and 3 for the city itself than the 6 and 8 millions you think.... Actually, on the world scale, Toronto is still a little city, even about money.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmike View Post
List of countries by future GDP estimates (nominal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

(the link doesn't include the last bracket so add the bracket to the html)

2013 nominal gdp

UK 3.8 trillion
France 3.6 trillion
Russia about 3.5 trillion

a little rise in oil prices and that could increase Russia's nominal gdp.
if that trend continues 2014 Russia would probably be the largest.

looking at current economic trends (and that Russia has lots of oil) its largest city Moscow has to be at least on the same level as Milan and Chicago.
I have seen so many outlooks in my life and few happens. I really believe on day Russia will be a main player in the world.... but I see that for 20 years, not early....

Moscow is already more important than Milan IMO. I should check the figures.....

As for oil, I also doubt the world will continue to use it as today, of course in 5 years it won't change, but in the long run (10 - 20 years) I think the european union will have change this.... we'll see.

IT's rare to see a trend continue more than 5 years - 7 years, and as for Russia, the economy boom has been going on for 10 years..... I assume it will be stopped soon..... again we'll see !

Old 06-16-2008, 11:05 AM

33 posts, read 121,225 times
İSTANBUL is the greatest city of the world and i'm from turkey and hi everybody i like this forum

Old 06-16-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doesn't Hurt View Post
İSTANBUL is the greatest city of the world and i'm from turkey and hi everybody i like this forum
If the world was one country the capital would be ISTANBUL !

Dixit Napoleon

Old 06-16-2008, 11:24 AM

Yeah İstanbul is too great old constantinapolis and byzantium's capitol adn Ottoman's capital

http://yakzan.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/istanbul04preview.jpg (broken link)

Bosphorus

İstanbul - Levent

Old 06-16-2008, 12:26 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,039 times
There is no question that DC is the world's most powerful in terms of politics. New York's power in the financial world, and even London's, could be undermined or changed by policies determined in Washington.

New York is still the financial capital, although London has been giving the US concern. London's location has made it a favourite with the Asian emerging markets, and beyond its location, London is attracting investors and companies because of a perception that regulatory scrutiny is more burdensome in the United States than in London. Chicago is the home of the world’s largest derivatives market when the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and the Chicago Board of Trade merged, while Hong Kong is poised to be the biggest market for initial public offerings this year, with today’s pricing of the huge offering of the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China.

So far, the only financial arena where New York is clearly being surpassed is initial public offerings. This year, through the end of May, companies raised £17.9 billion ($33.2 billion) in initial public offerings on London’s exchanges. In New York, initial public offerings raised $26.5 billion through May. The battle between London and New York is now fiercer than ever!

Old 06-16-2008, 12:38 PM

Beijing ---> Economy Power
İstanbul --->Culture Power
Washington ---> Politic Power
London --> 2nd Politic Power
France --> Cosmetic Power
Madrid(Spain) ---> Trade Power
Moskow --->Historical Power
Berlin(Germany) ---->Engineering Power
Tokio ---> Technology Power
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World