Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 04:21 PM

21 posts, read 84,724 times

Advertisements

Would you say New York is really still the center of the universe? bc London, Hong Kong, Toronto, Tokyo, Shanghi, Moscow or even another U.S. city? Just to see what the census is bc recently it seems the world is at least catching up to us in everything if not surpassing us.

I would still have to give the nod to NYC but other thoughts are nice to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 04:22 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,000,181 times
Many studies have been done on this time and again. here is a map outlining the most powerful cities in the entire world:

I personally believe it is London, England.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:29 PM

940 posts, read 3,179,677 times
New York City by a landslide. As long as its the financial and cultural center of the universe, it will be the most influential and powerful city on this planet. No other city comes close. Its laughable if u think otherwise!

Old 03-18-2008, 04:32 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,000,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
New York City by a landslide. As long as its the financial and cultural center of the universe, it will be the most influential and powerful city on this planet. No other city comes close. Its laughable if u think otherwise!
this is the typical american mind set. however, you would be suprirsed at how well london stacks up against new york city.

take it from New York's very own newspaper which mentions how powerful cities such as Hong Kong, Chicago and London are:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/27/bu.../27london.html

Old 03-18-2008, 04:35 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,109,789 times
NYC is the most influential but come on. Get serious! DC by a landslide. If North Korea or China starts to act up, who are you gonna turn to for answers. NYC? LA? Chicago? Decisions made in DC shape the free world.

Cuban Missile Crisis is a prime example!
September 11th is another example!

I would also add that your list of ranking cities is outdated. Hong Kong is the financial capital of China but all of China's decisions are made in Bejing.

Last edited by DC's Finest; 03-18-2008 at 04:45 PM..

Old 03-18-2008, 04:36 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,319,357 times
Yeah, this one's tough.

I think that NYC makes a strong case, but if it's NYC it's certainly not a landslide. London definitely comes to mind. Hong Kong. Tokyo.

I don't know that one city stands as the undisputed center of the world.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:38 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,319,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Come on. Get serious! DC by a landslide. If North Korea or China starts to act up, who are you gonna turn to for answers. LA? Chicago?

Cuban Missile Crisis! Bueller, Anyone.
Politically, sure. DC. But that's only because it's the nation's capital. It's not because it's DC. If you were to move the seat of US political power to any other city tonight, by tomorrow that city would be nearly as powerful as DC. However, with NYC or London, if you move one aspect of power- financial, cultural, etc- you'd still be left with other aspects that would continue to make it a notable locale.

Let's not be homers here. We're talking worldwide.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:50 PM

Carolina,

Are you serious? Well, if you move the movie industry from LA, and the Oil Industry from Houston and Wall Street from NY, then (Insert crazy comment here). That's why DC is unique! Because it is the nation's politcal capital. You can't take that away. NYC is the financial and media capital. LA is the movie capital and Houston is the energy capital.

Don't handicap DC! As for worldwide -I gave you a great example. Did the Cuban Missile Crisis affect the US or the World. Don't answer right away.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:53 PM

I'm not a homer. I'm a realist. Don't be a hater. I know people hate DC but when you see iconic structures like the Pentagon, White House, Monument and the Capitol, you can't deny the power.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:55 PM

583 posts, read 1,248,240 times
Politically - it's definitely DC
Financially - I'd say it's London
Entertainment/Media - LA (Hollywood)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World