Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city names (up to 3) do you like the best?
Tokyo 15 30.61%
Sao Paulo 17 34.69%
Jakarta 13 26.53%
Seoul 9 18.37%
Manila 12 24.49%
New York 15 30.61%
Shanghai 15 30.61%
Mumbai 5 10.20%
Cairo 10 20.41%
Delhi 6 12.24%
Mexico City 5 10.20%
Beijing 8 16.33%
Guangzhou 4 8.16%
Bengaluru 5 10.20%
Dhaka 5 10.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 10:58 AM

6,462 posts, read 8,141,689 times

Advertisements

Kuala Lumpur
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 01:03 PM

11,556 posts, read 9,282,566 times
I like Jakarta, Manila, and New York the most. Mumbai and Dhaka are the ugliest names

Old 11-16-2017, 07:47 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,514,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I like Jakarta, Manila, and New York the most. Mumbai and Dhaka are the ugliest names
Manila and Dhaka remind me strange things...
"Manilha" is the Portuguese word for "shackle". And Dhaka reminds me of Dako, a defunct brazilian brand of kitchen stuff.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:08 AM

I don't like the city names in Latin America.
"Mexico City"... could somewhat be more boring than this? Think Paris being called "France City". The older name, "Tenochtitlán", was much more interesting.

"Panamá City", "Guatemala City", "Belize City": same of Mexico City.

"São Paulo"... nothing more than "Saint Paul". Brazilian cities in the colonial times were founded often following the scheme "Saint Foo of Bar", or "Our Lady of Foo and Bar". SP and Rio were not different. São Paulo was originally called "São Paulo de Piratininga", while Rio was "São Sebastião do Rio de Janeiro" and Salvador was nothing less than "São Salvador da Bahia de Todos os Santos" (The Holy Saviour of The Bay of All Saints) - "Bahia" was later used for naming the state. São Paulo could be shortened to Piratininga. Which is also still boring if you speak Tupi, because this word stands for "dry fish".

"San José", "Santiago" (Saint Joseph, Saint James): same of São Paulo, cities named after a saint.

"Buenos Aires": "Good Airs". More funny than boring.

"Caracas": it's an euphemism for a profanity in Portuguese and, I guess, also in Spanish.

"Lima": in Portuguese, is the name of a variety of orange and a surname almost as common as "Smith" in english-speaking countries.

"Cochabamba": I prefer not even to say what this word sounds like in Portuguese.

"Sucre": stands for sugar, in French. A good name for a city with economy based on sugarcane, or where people is extremely polite ("sweetheart"), or where all its inhabitants suffer of diabetes, or something like this.

"Quito": a phantom city, which all its inhabitants had to QUIT, because it had a lot of mosQUITOes.

The only major city in Latin America with a really good sounding name is "Montevideo", with "Tegucigalpa" and "Guayaquil" coming after.

Last edited by Fabio SBA; 11-16-2017 at 08:32 AM..

Old 11-16-2017, 09:15 AM

26,785 posts, read 37,769,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post

"Cochabamba": I prefer not even to say what this word sounds like in Portuguese.

I've always liked this one. (I have no idea what it sounds like in Portuguese.)

Old 11-16-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've always liked this one. (I have no idea what it sounds like in Portuguese.)
Okay, I'll tell. It sounds like "floppy thighs", in a malicious way.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:01 AM

934 posts, read 1,432,973 times
^^Yes, I agree. I wish Mexico City was still Tenochtitlán. Mexico City doesn't do that great city justice. Mesoamerica had great names: Chichen Itza, Tikal, Teotihuacan, Tlaxcala, etc.

From the list, I would say Tokyo, Seoul, Cairo, & Jakarta sound cool. Others I like: Rio de Janeiro, Yangon (like the translation: "The End of Strife"), Paris, Chicago, Algiers, Madrid, London & Xi'an.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:01 PM

11,556 posts, read 9,282,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
I don't like the city names in Latin America.
"Mexico City"... could somewhat be more boring than this? Think Paris being called "France City". The older name, "Tenochtitlán", was much more interesting.

"Panamá City", "Guatemala City", "Belize City": same of Mexico City.

"São Paulo"... nothing more than "Saint Paul". Brazilian cities in the colonial times were founded often following the scheme "Saint Foo of Bar", or "Our Lady of Foo and Bar". SP and Rio were not different. São Paulo was originally called "São Paulo de Piratininga", while Rio was "São Sebastião do Rio de Janeiro" and Salvador was nothing less than "São Salvador da Bahia de Todos os Santos" (The Holy Saviour of The Bay of All Saints) - "Bahia" was later used for naming the state. São Paulo could be shortened to Piratininga. Which is also still boring if you speak Tupi, because this word stands for "dry fish".

"San José", "Santiago" (Saint Joseph, Saint James): same of São Paulo, cities named after a saint.

"Buenos Aires": "Good Airs". More funny than boring.

"Caracas": it's an euphemism for a profanity in Portuguese and, I guess, also in Spanish.

"Lima": in Portuguese, is the name of a variety of orange and a surname almost as common as "Smith" in english-speaking countries.

"Sucre": stands for sugar, in French. A good name for a city with economy based on sugarcane, or where people is extremely polite ("sweetheart"), or where all its inhabitants suffer of diabetes, or something like this.

"Quito": a phantom city, which all its inhabitants had to QUIT, because it had a lot of mosQUITOes.

The only major city in Latin America with a really good sounding name is "Montevideo", with "Tegucigalpa" and "Guayaquil" coming after.
Are you kidding, I love many of the names in Latin American cities, aside from the boring ones like MX or Sao Paulo

Here are some good ones:

- Buenos Aires
- Valparaiso
- Maracaibo
- Florianopolis
- Belo Horizonte
- Porto Alegre
- Rio de Janeiro
- Arequipa
- Montevideo
- Guayaquil
- Ushuaia
- Lima
- Piura
- Fortaleza
- Aracaju

Old 11-18-2017, 06:03 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,858,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Cairo! Nice name. Manila, sounds like Ice Cream, All Sao Paulo is, translated into English is St. Paul, Tokyo is pretty cool, Like Beijing also, has a nice ring too it Shanghai and New York are ok, Seoul reminds me of it

Mumbai is a Hideous name, I like it's old name ( Bombay) much better. Jakarta is ugly, doesn't really roll off the tongue that well, Delhi remains me of a Subway Sandwich, or some lunch mwar6 you have

Oh Dear Lord, I think I was Drunk and Fell Asleep while writing this Post. Let Me Correct My Self, I'm Sober Now Lol.

Cairo! Nice name. Manila, sounds like Ice Cream, All Sao Paulo is, translated into English is St. Paul, Tokyo is pretty cool, Like Beijing also, has a nice ring too it Shanghai and New York are ok, Seoul reminds of Soul, Like a Human Soul, Or the Slang Term You've Got Soul

Mumbai is a Hideous name, I like it's old name ( Bombay) much better. Jakarta is ugly, doesn't really roll off the tongue that well, Delhi remains me of a Subway Sandwich, or so type of Lunch Meat

Old 11-18-2017, 10:11 PM

1,002 posts, read 894,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Oh Dear Lord, I think I was Drunk and Fell Asleep while writing this Post. Let Me Correct My Self, I'm Sober Now Lol.

Cairo! Nice name. Manila, sounds like Ice Cream, All Sao Paulo is, translated into English is St. Paul, Tokyo is pretty cool, Like Beijing also, has a nice ring too it Shanghai and New York are ok, Seoul reminds of Soul, Like a Human Soul, Or the Slang Term You've Got Soul

Mumbai is a Hideous name, I like it's old name ( Bombay) much better. Jakarta is ugly, doesn't really roll off the tongue that well, Delhi remains me of a Subway Sandwich, or so type of Lunch Meat
Jakarta is ugly for you but not necessarily for others

Jakarta one nice is sound of the most . I personally love the name of the city of "Washington, D.C." so cool and sound really stunning !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World