Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following Middle Income/Middle sized countries would you consider living in?
Indonesia 9 15.00%
Ukraine 15 25.00%
Egypt 3 5.00%
Colombia 22 36.67%
South Africa 11 18.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 04:42 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times

Advertisements

Such a shame about South Africa. To think it was once the rising star of Africa and now crime is truly engulfing the country and it seems that its not isolated to gang rings but is truly affecting the regular population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 06:28 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
Default I've reserved a flight to Jo'Burg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Such a shame about South Africa. To think it was once the rising star of Africa and now crime is truly engulfing the country and it seems that its not isolated to gang rings but is truly affecting the regular population.

I'm to fly to Jo'Burg next February...maybe is it still time to cancel my flight? what would you do in may place?

Old 12-18-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I'm to fly to Jo'Burg next February...maybe is it still time to cancel my flight? what would you do in may place?
I would still go but I would stay in a secure hotel or a secure apartment block as opposed to a house. House burglaries with people in them are on the rise. I would also go with items insurance.

Passport Heavy have vast experience travelling around the world, as versed digital nomads I feel their recent experience is pertinent.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:47 PM

957 posts, read 1,132,973 times
Colombia since the political situation has calmed down now, on the seaside or the plateau of course
Indonesia, aside Java (too much populated) and Sumatra (too islamic)

No Ukraine, too cold, poor and polically unstable
No South Africa, it's lost
No Egypt, a third world hot overpopulated overislamicized sterile cesspool

Old 12-19-2017, 03:32 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
Colombia since the political situation has calmed down now, on the seaside or the plateau of course
Indonesia, aside Java (too much populated) and Sumatra (too islamic)

No Ukraine, too cold, poor and polically unstable
No South Africa, it's lost
No Egypt, a third world hot overpopulated overislamicized sterile cesspool
Is South Africa really lost? I thought that despite its racial tensions, it was still Africa’s shining star.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:05 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Is South Africa really lost? I thought that despite its racial tensions, it was still Africa’s shining star.
The crime rates in South Africa were worse in the 1990s than now. A factor for the decline is the CCTV cameras. The cities have extensive CCTV cameras in the cities now, esp in the CBD. However South Africa can still be quite dangerous.
Out of the list I will put as follows:
Indonesia (Bali)
Columbia
South Africa
Ukraine
Egypt.

Last edited by other99; 12-20-2017 at 03:40 PM..

Old 12-20-2017, 05:21 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
What is your purpose of going -- business or pleasure?

By all means, GO. Like anywhere, be as careful as you need to be under the circumstances you find yourself in. Like everywhere, stay in your hotel after dark. Night is always full of danger. Never drink with strangers (or, preferably, at all). Keep your valuables in a moneybelt, and get used to feeling it on your body 24/7, even in bed at night. Leave your jewelry and symbols of class at home, and buy a $10 watch if you need to know what time it is. If local people warn you not to go somewhere, listen to them. If you believe you are in danger, walk to safety in the middle of a busy street.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:03 PM

3 posts, read 2,913 times
I've been to all five I pick Colombia

Greener, less polluted, safer for women, the most westernized of the list, as an American you don't have a real culture shock.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:03 PM

Cost of living & quality of life in Colombia's second city, Medellin.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:17 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Basically same rates as Oakland in all bar one mejor city (Cali). Would you be so opposed to living in Oakland for a while? Not to mention rates across the country keep dropping fast year on year.

Same can't be said about the States where rates are rising year on year.
I woulld not live in Oakland. I'd move to Colombia first, but my Colombian wife will never go back. Too many bad memories and no close family she says. Given the choices in the poll, it would be my only one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World