Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 06:13 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I just spent 2 weeks in London in the financial district and it was not as expensive as I was expecting and Underground or Uber travel (while it's still going) is a bargain. Overall cost is comparable to DC but again, the average income is much lower in London than DC.
DC is expensive, but I'm pretty sure that housing costs in London are higher than in DC. They're probably close to NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 10:09 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Most of the problems in America are experienced by low-income people (the bottom 20%). But if you’re smart and strive to make something of your life, then you should do fine.

There really aren’t many negatives that you will have to deal with.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:16 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,321,296 times
Out of developed countries America is easily the worst for the lower 20%, but if you are middle class you are gonna have a solid life here

Old 12-06-2017, 10:17 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,321,296 times
Quote:
I would say there are 2 different types of categories:

2) Best countries to live if you are wealthy or retired with a fixed income and don't depend on the local economy
Any middle-income to upper-middle-income country with culture and history will fit that bill

Old 12-06-2017, 10:58 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
Quote:
I don't agree that Brussels compares to DC in power or wealth but it is overall much cheaper to live. However, DC average disposable income is almost double what it is in Brussels.

How is low gas prices subsidized by our government? Actually they charge a significant tax though far less than what they charge in Europe.

I just spent 2 weeks in London in the financial district and it was not as expensive as I was expecting and Underground or Uber travel (while it's still going) is a bargain. Overall cost is comparable to DC but again, the average income is much lower in London than DC.
Like I said, disposable income doesn't well reflect living standards at all. You need to consider what services you need to pay for and what is offer free by the government. Belgium has one of the highest taxes in Europe, and you would expect they receive far more services than a low tax region.

Additionally, not just what you can buy, whether the transit is good, whether the public space is pleasant, they are all part of the quality of life equation. Life doesn't equal your purchasing power.

It is well known in the US low gas price receives massive subsidy from the government. Not just gas, but parking, use of roads as well. You can easily search for that.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:22 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,297,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Most of the problems in America are experienced by low-income people (the bottom 20%). But if you’re smart and strive to make something of your life, then you should do fine.

There really aren’t many negatives that you will have to deal with.
The bottom 20% does not have a great life in Europe either or any other advanced country...

Old 12-06-2017, 02:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,691 posts, read 58,004,579 times
USA? Do you have $40,000 / yr to spend on Health care insurance? (not including actual HC services, those are REALLY expensive!)

Your choice may be preferred by some (who have no experience actually succeeding in immigrating to those countries..... not EZ...

Personally I would choose, The Netherlands, Denmark, and Switzerland in the Europe region. But.... it is not a FREE choice, as those countries will not allow me to move there. I much prefer NZ to Australia, but neither will accept me. (Nor will Canada)

Old 12-06-2017, 02:38 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,016,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
UAE, Dubai and Israel!!! You've got to be joking!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ching-mans-hip

Anywhere that can garner a story like this has to be amongst the WORST places in the world to live!
Like I said it's getting 'de mode'. To use just one random example, during my time there around 2009-2011 traffic jams were already a nightmare and today from what I've heard UAE's population has doubled in just ~5 years...imagine the kind of traffic problems they have now.
+ You have to blame your own compatriots for all the dubai hype...I mean even Piers Morgan has made documentary about it and all the British celebs have properties there.

And what's your issue with Israel? It's LGBT friendly from what I can tell, they have among the biggest lgbt prides not just in the region but in the world.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:45 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I thought you guys enjoy 4 or even 5 weeks mandatory holidays, stronger union culture compared to the US, etc...
The US has no federal mandatory holidays, Canada has 2 weeks.
Federally yes. Provincially it varies. For instance in BC it's mandatory 3 weeks after 5 years.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:48 PM

2,292 posts, read 1,513,381 times
Yes, New Zealand is not one of the choices in the OP but it is a beautiful country. It is probably the only country that I would happily move to. But having said that, the price of housing in Auckland is exhorbitant. I think it has the highest relative cost in the world.
Different places are probably better at different ages. Where I am is great if you are retired. Like Europeans, we do not have to think about the cost of serious illnesses. We tend to use our private insurance for elective surgery so that we can ensure the date and doctor. I am having my cataracts done next year and I could go public for free or it will cost about $400 in US dollars per eye using private insurance. Our tax system is overly beneficial for retirees and the basic government pension is more than adequate for home owners (most older people are ) and is non-contributory though means and asset tested.
However, life is harder for younger working families with kids. Childcare is partly subsidised but can stil cost a lot, especially in Sydney. Free education does not start til kindergarten when they are over five. Housing is very expensive in Sydney and Melbourne, which is where half the population live.
It is only academic to think which is the best country anyway. It is not that you can just march in and set up home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World