Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 07:59 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,520,050 times

Advertisements

Fair enough, I know what you mean about it being removed from the modern world. It is a popular destination for Aussies, especially those with little kids so I guess it feels more in the normal range to me. But we were in New Caledonia last year and it is exotic in its own way. Maybe you went there on your cruise too. It is a lot wealthier than Fiji because it is actually part of France and French pay and conditions are supposed to apply. The Melanesian population wear their own dress, as I think they still do in Fiji. They speak a lot less English than you find spoken in France and many of the tourists where we were staying were Japanese. So it did feel exotic to us, more so than Fiji.(Especially when DH ended up driving on the wrong side of the road, only once as he said!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 01:18 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
I knew an Iranian woman who moved from Iran to the US in the 80s. She first moved to Ohio before coming to Albuquerque.

She claims that southern Ohio is exotic. Albuquerque, on the other hand, she said reminds her of Iranian cities in some ways.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:14 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I knew an Iranian woman who moved from Iran to the US in the 80s. She first moved to Ohio before coming to Albuquerque.

She claims that southern Ohio is exotic. Albuquerque, on the other hand, she said reminds her of Iranian cities in some ways.
Yes, it's all relative. I consider Eastern Europeans to be exotic.

Romania is probably the most exotic country on earth.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:31 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,881,848 times
Marrakesh is quite exotic to Westerner.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:37 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Iranian cities and towns are maybe the most beautiful in the world. You drive in from the desert, and suddenly you are in lush green parks, every street lined with shady trees, all well-tended yards full of flowers.

I needed to have a tire repaired, and stopped in a shop in a little town. Everything in the car repair shop was tidy and clean, the floor swept, the windows sparkling clean, the tools wiped clean of work grime. I felt like I had walked into a new shop that just opened for business that morning.

My hotel rate in Tabriz included a complimentary car wash. Nobody said anything, I just went out in the morning and my car was sparkling clean.

I have nothing but absolutely wonderful memories of everything in Iran and the Iranian people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yes, it's all relative. I consider Eastern Europeans to be exotic.

Romania is probably the most exotic country on earth.
You should have seen it before Ceausescu's urban renewal projects. Every town as a picture postcard from a storybook. Several different styles of folk architecture, from one Romanian region to another.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:33 PM

197 posts, read 114,397 times
Ouarzazate, Morocco is especially exotic for a Swiss.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:12 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I’ve been to all 7 continents, so I don’t know that I’m most qualified to speak on this, but with some experience from an American perspective, that I’ve personally been to, on each continent. Exotic being different, out of ordinary from most things there.

North America: Lake Atitlan, Guatemala (though in part just to the humbling nature of witnessing the depravity/desperation of many people there.)
South America: Rio de Janeiro (for good and bad reasons. Other places may not have been as stunning visually, but also felt more stable.)
Africa: I’ve only been to Tunis. It didn’t feel as different as I thought it would, but it definitely felt different.
Antarctica: Has to be a leader in general
Oceania: Nadi, Fiji town. As far as ANZ go, probably Dunedin was most distinctive.
Asia: Ruins of Ephesus, Turkey (best ruin site I’ve been to. Only been to Asia Minor though)
Europe: Santorini, Greece (just a surreal level of beauty and distinctiveness there)
Wow if you’ve seen all those places you are very fortunate.

I’ve been throughout North America and parts of Europe and never saw anything “exotic”. I’ve seen beautiful and fascinating places however. When I think of exotic I think of places like Tahiti or Nepal.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:55 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Wow if you’ve seen all those places you are very fortunate.

I’ve been throughout North America and parts of Europe and never saw anything “exotic”. I’ve seen beautiful and fascinating places however. When I think of exotic I think of places like Tahiti or Nepal.
That is because exotic is relative. People from Tahiti and Nepal may well consider their homelands to be beautiful, but certainly as mundane and 'everyday' as you consider your hometown.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:37 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
The most impressive geographical scenic feature I've seen is the karsts in south China.

The most impressive man-made feature are those of upper Egypt. Luxor, etc.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:09 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
Variability on reference of coordinates. For my own life from North America technically, my recent entrance is with Fes Morocco. Incredibly random unique individuals on flight route between Seville Spain Andalusia via land arrivals literally less than one hour out. Area 51 Planet Mars. Never even familiarizing this town even exists forever. Let alone way further than 300,000 citizens labels. In the top 10 nationals. Extreme dichotomy between ultra modern space age dreamy easy access districts versus Persian Carpet type saturation of ancient maze labyrinths. Favorite hotel ever with the name of Hotel Ramada. Immaculately fancy practical dream inside. Exotic aliens at every corner. Yeah, I am a fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World