Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 08:33 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,991 times

Advertisements

Well, that was informative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 07:54 AM

400 posts, read 292,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
I know that Turkey, while overwhelming islamic, is more secular than other islamic countries. How does it translate into the daily life? Do people stop the activities five times per day to pray? Do women wear hijab? Is the Ramadan fasting really observed?
Let me try to answer some of the questions. It changes from person to person. Some people do stop their activities five times per day to pray. Some don’t. Friday prayers are important so even if they don’t pray five times a day, some people go to mosque for friday prayer. Some women wear hijab some don’t. Usually in the big cities most women don’t wear hijab. In smaller towns and villages they wear more traditional clothing.

Same with the Ramadan fasting. Some observe it some don’t. Though most people try not to drink or eat in places like buses, subway etc. during ramadan out of respect for those who fast. Restaurants stay open though so anyone is free to go there if they chose to do so.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
When is the most festive time of year to visit Istanbul?
You are welcome anytime

Though here is a list about the best times to visit and there is information about key events as well.

https://travel.usnews.com/Istanbul_T...When_To_Visit/

Old 01-06-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Will turkey remain secular?

Will erdogan leave NATO and side with Putin and China?

How strong is islam in turkey?

Does turkey plan to take over the middle east?
Will turkey remain secular?

I hope so. I’m hopeful for the 2019 elections.

Will erdogan leave NATO and side with Putin and China?

I don’t think so. Though who knows what the future brings.

How strong is islam in turkey?

If you ask how strong political islam is, in the latest referandum the government got 51% of the vote. The younger and more educated people voted no. So this gives hope for the future.

Does turkey plan to take over the middle east?

I don’t know does US?

Old 01-06-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Do locals shop much in the Grand Bazaar?

Love Turkey, one of the few countries I have been to more than once.
I don’t live in Istanbul but yes I guess they do.

https://www.theistanbulinsider.com/h...and-elsewhere/

Old 01-06-2018, 08:49 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Selen, I will ask you as that guy doesn't seem to return.

- I've heard that Erdoman/Erdogay has had quite a crusade against alcohol. Have you noticed that it's nowadays morally less acceptable to drink?

- And another thing I heard (I watched a documentary today about Turkey) is that after the coup attempt, people have started snitching and calling out their neighbours for being politically "suspicious" or acting "immoral" (like not wearing scarves and for example drinking).

Then a bit less serious question:

- Do you like Serbian accordion music?

Old 01-06-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Selen, I will ask you as that guy doesn't seem to return.

- I've heard that Erdoman/Erdogay has had quite a crusade against alcohol. Have you noticed that it's notadaysa morally less acceptable to drink?

- And another thing I heard (I watched a documentary today about Turkey) is that after the coup attempt, people have started snitching and calling out their neighbours for being politically "suspicious" or acting "immoral" (like not wearing scarves and for example drinking).

Then a bit less serious question:

- Do you like Serbian accordion music?
I've heard that Erdoman/Erdogay has had quite a crusade against alcohol. Have you noticed that it's notadaysa morally less acceptable to drink?

Alcohol is sold in markets, restaurants, bars, hotels etc. Yes they try to tell people it’s not good to drink but people who want to drink, drink.

And another thing I heard (I watched a documentary today about Turkey) is that after the coup attempt, people have started snitching and calling out their neighbours for being politically "suspicious" or acting "immoral" (like not wearing scarves and for example drinking).

People acting politically suspicious refers to people from the Gulen movement. They are a political Islamist cult so they don’t mostly drink alcohol anyways. People not wearing scarves or who drink can not be snitched because not wearing headscarves and drinking are legal.

Do you like Serbian accordion music?

How did you know it was my favorite music? Lol kidding just listened to it because you asked and it seems fine.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:03 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
thoughts on bulgaria? favorite neighbor country? favorite country in europe? 10x.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:48 PM

2,300 posts, read 1,521,375 times
Can I say we were in Turkey at the end of April, early May and the weather was great. We did not know that there were so many tulips in Istanbul. Was a very pleasant surprise.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
thoughts on bulgaria? favorite neighbor country? favorite country in europe? 10x.
There are many people in Turkey with origins from Bulgaria. Including my grandmother’s side. I would like to go there but unfortunately I haven’t been able to yet. Komşu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World