Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2020, 05:10 AM

365 posts, read 215,289 times

Advertisements

[quote=Brave New World;59317087]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronas View Post

Political Correctness is no worse in the UK than any other western country, and in terms of social issues the UK is better now than during many periods in it's history.

Whilst UK cities have seen a lot of investment and have been transformed.

As for rights most are enshrined in the European Convention on Human Rights, which has even prevented the UK extraditing terrorists, and is very politically correct, and is something which we will be looking to change after Brexit is completed.
While PC is out of control in most of the western world some places are worse than others.Just like, let's say, Italy and Portugal are not particularly PC, the UK, Sweden, and Canada are THE worst when it comes to it. Back in my day PC meant not using racist terms while nowadays it includes things like not saying that being fat is wrong or that you don't enjoy women's football or that criminals should be given harsh punishments.

And of course the UK and the world at large is better off now than it was throughout its history (stop making a fool out of yourself with ridiculous arguments). My point was that it has gone downhill recently, meaning in the last few years and it has happened 'overnight'....and it's going more and more downhill by the day.

UK cities have been transformed to the extent that cityscapes are butt ugly...and there are a lot more crime ridden areas.

I don't have a problem with the European Convention of Human Rights...

Last edited by Tronas; 10-04-2020 at 05:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2020, 08:09 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Where would you rather live? Brisbane/Gold Coast or San Diego? Which has the better beaches and surfing?

I haven't been to Australia, but I picture Perth to be similar to San Diego, and I also picture even Brisbane to be similar to San Diego, just with more rain and mugginess in the summer. And Brisbane is supposedly the most conservative of the big Australian cities, kind of like how San Diego is the most conservative of the West Coast cities. Is that right, is Brisbane similar in any way to San Diego?

Old 10-04-2020, 08:33 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Where would you rather live? Brisbane/Gold Coast or San Diego? Which has the better beaches and surfing?

I haven't been to Australia, but I picture Perth to be similar to San Diego, and I also picture even Brisbane to be similar to San Diego, just with more rain and mugginess in the summer. And Brisbane is supposedly the most conservative of the big Australian cities, kind of like how San Diego is the most conservative of the West Coast cities. Is that right, is Brisbane similar in any way to San Diego?
I'd choose San Diego. I haven't been to Brisbane but did live in Sydney for a few months. I'd choose San Diego for the culinary scene, alone. The food in Sydney isn't bad, but I find way more variety in big cities in the states.

Pyongyang, North Korea vs. Tehran, Iran vs. Moscow, Russian Federation?

Old 10-04-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'd choose San Diego. I haven't been to Brisbane but did live in Sydney for a few months. I'd choose San Diego for the culinary scene, alone. The food in Sydney isn't bad, but I find way more variety in big cities in the states.

Pyongyang, North Korea vs. Tehran, Iran vs. Moscow, Russian Federation?
Moscow, Russia.
Not great but still less dictatorial than the other two.

Hainan island, China or Kerala, India?

Old 10-04-2020, 09:43 AM

76 posts, read 38,844 times
Quote:
Moscow, Russia.
Not great but still less dictatorial than the other two.

Hainan island, China or Kerala, India?
Kerala, India - Hainan looks nicer but I don't think I'd ever want to live in China.

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada vs. Mexico City, Mexico

Old 10-04-2020, 10:07 AM

2 posts, read 1,307 times
Well isn't this fun to read.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:35 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSonicSon View Post
Kerala, India - Hainan looks nicer but I don't think I'd ever want to live in China.

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada vs. Mexico City, Mexico
Mexico City. I'm sure Halifax would be a pleasant place but I love big cities and DF is a great one!

Monterrey, Mexico vs Vancouver, Canada

Old 10-04-2020, 01:13 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Mexico City. I'm sure Halifax would be a pleasant place but I love big cities and DF is a great one!

Monterrey, Mexico vs Vancouver, Canada
Vancouver, Canada. I absolutely hate the cold and Canada gets plenty cold, but I refuse to live in Mexico due to the influence that the drug cartels have over things.

St. John's, Antigua and Barbuda vs. Basseterre, Saint Kitts and Nives?

Old 10-04-2020, 03:22 PM

[quote=Brave New World;59318732]
Quote:

You are the one spouting about how the UK has gone downhill, when in reality it hasn't and there is nothing stopping you from calling someone fat and PC does not include having to enjoy women's sport, and has nothing to do with harsher prison sentences.

The UK Government is now increasing prison sentences, a Government that won a large landslide victory against the left.

As for political correctness the UK has very few hate laws beyond the public order act and s127 of the Communications Act.

As for investment in cities and transport it has changed the UK for the better, and there are poor areas in every city, however the UK does not have areas of poverty and violence on a US scale, nor does it even have the banlieues of Paris or the bombings that have occurred in Sweden.

Other countries are far more PC, indeed you just need to look at the over zealous moderation on youtube and by tech giants.

In a recent article in the Financial Times entitled Political correctness: the UK v the US, author and journalist Simon Kuper argues that in Britain, you can still mostly say what you like, but in parts of liberal America, speech repression has taken a darker turn and that free speech has been closed down in some parts of the US.
No the UK doesn't have the poverty found in some parts of the US (the US is much larger country so it's no surprise there are bigger regional differences including in terms of development) but its rough areas are even rougher than France's (I lived in a couple of them). And it certainly did have terrorist attacks just like Sweden...that was a blatant lie on your part.

Simon Kuper, just like yourself, is massively deluded in that case.

And yes public figures do get condemned if they call out fat people or even if they say they don't like women's football. Another blatant lie on your part...either that or you don't follow the news that much.

Old 10-04-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Vancouver, Canada. I absolutely hate the cold and Canada gets plenty cold, but I refuse to live in Mexico due to the influence that the drug cartels have over things.

St. John's, Antigua and Barbuda vs. Basseterre, Saint Kitts and Nives?
I like Saint Kitts and Nevis more so I'm going to choose those.

Japan countryside or Northern coast of Australia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World