Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-20-2020, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Metro Phoenix
11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
Reputation: 12949

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
I grew up less than 20km east of St. Catherine's in the northwest corner of New York state and have a pretty serious disdain for the whole area - granted this is the Canadian side of the border and in a lot of cases I'd probably choose Canada over the USA, but it's still too close to my hometown for comfort. Coastal Virginia looks pretty great - so I'll go for that.

Miami, Florida or Miami (Gold Coast) Australia

For anyone who's been to both areas, there are a lot of similarities between South Florida and SW QLD.
I've never been that much of a fan of the over the top, coked out glitz and glam that forms the core of Miami nightlife, nor the general lifestyle in the city itself.

Miami QLD looks more like a suburb with a service-oriented downtown which suits me just fine... Covid threw a wrench into our plans but we had planned to check out AU this year and possibly move there for a few years, as we've made a ton of Aussie friends in the expat community, so, I'd take a shot there.

Marburg, Germany or Fenghuang, Hunan, China?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2020, 10:21 PM
 
76 posts, read 38,851 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I've never been that much of a fan of the over the top, coked out glitz and glam that forms the core of Miami nightlife, nor the general lifestyle in the city itself.

Miami QLD looks more like a suburb with a service-oriented downtown which suits me just fine... Covid threw a wrench into our plans but we had planned to check out AU this year and possibly move there for a few years, as we've made a ton of Aussie friends in the expat community, so, I'd take a shot there.

Marburg, Germany or Fenghuang, Hunan, China?
Marburg - Would be the obvious choice simply because it is not in Communist China.. but to be fair Fenghuang looks like a more interesting place to visit though. Lots of history and beautiful.


Auckland, New Zealand vs Havana, Cuba
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2020, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Taipei
7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times
Reputation: 4984
Serious question?? I haven't seen a more lopsided cvc at least for me, ever. Never been to either and I'd be very interested in visiting Havana. If this were my single and childless days I'd certainly be up for something like a monthlong adventure in Havana/Cuba, but no, with my family I don't think we'd do anything more than a short trip. (and as Americans technically that's all that would be allowed anyway)

Meanwhile, Auckland would probably be at least in my top 25, perhaps higher after I visit.

Whakatane, NZ vs Georgetown, Cayman Islands
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2020, 06:53 AM
 
44 posts, read 42,551 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Serious question?? I haven't seen a more lopsided cvc at least for me, ever. Never been to either and I'd be very interested in visiting Havana. If this were my single and childless days I'd certainly be up for something like a monthlong adventure in Havana/Cuba, but no, with my family I don't think we'd do anything more than a short trip. (and as Americans technically that's all that would be allowed anyway)

Meanwhile, Auckland would probably be at least in my top 25, perhaps higher after I visit.

Whakatane, NZ vs Georgetown, Cayman Islands
Whakatane, if you're bored of the place, you can go to other places inside NZ. Cayman Islands is a tiny island in the middle of nowhere.


Medellin Colombia or Phoenix Arizona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2020, 04:37 PM
 
Location: In the heights
37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Reputation: 21212
Quote:
Originally Posted by patchanga View Post
Whakatane, if you're bored of the place, you can go to other places inside NZ. Cayman Islands is a tiny island in the middle of nowhere.


Medellin Colombia or Phoenix Arizona
I'd like to give Medellin, Colombia a shot. I didn't like or dislike Phoenix on visits, but it's not very exciting to me and Medellin and Colombia have supposedly improved on a lot of quality of life aspects though perhaps the reputation hasn't recovered as quickly. I also think I'd really be into the year-round weather in Medellin at least for a while as opposed to the heat in Phoenix even if it's a dry heat. I also generally prefer urban, walkable cities and Medellin seems to have Phoenix handedly beat on that front. Also, a lot of my work is in NYC and that puts me in the same timezone so I can work remotely for a while without too much hassle. The only thing I'm really not so enthused about so far is the food as I've found Colombian food a bit lacking in spice though I do like the variety of interesting fruits.

Kingston, Jamaica or Singapore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2020, 09:56 AM
 
76 posts, read 38,851 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'd like to give Medellin, Colombia a shot. I didn't like or dislike Phoenix on visits, but it's not very exciting to me and Medellin and Colombia have supposedly improved on a lot of quality of life aspects though perhaps the reputation hasn't recovered as quickly. I also think I'd really be into the year-round weather in Medellin at least for a while as opposed to the heat in Phoenix even if it's a dry heat. I also generally prefer urban, walkable cities and Medellin seems to have Phoenix handedly beat on that front. Also, a lot of my work is in NYC and that puts me in the same timezone so I can work remotely for a while without too much hassle. The only thing I'm really not so enthused about so far is the food as I've found Colombian food a bit lacking in spice though I do like the variety of interesting fruits.

Kingston, Jamaica or Singapore
Singapore, quite easily. A global hub, a ton of business and financial opportunities, and light years safer than Kingston.


Sydney, Australia vs. Milan, Italy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2020, 10:45 AM
 
4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times
Reputation: 2886
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSonicSon View Post
Singapore, quite easily. A global hub, a ton of business and financial opportunities, and light years safer than Kingston.


Sydney, Australia vs. Milan, Italy
Sydney. It's in an Anglophone country, has more of that suburban sprawl we all love, and is cleaner and less corrupt.

San Diego or Brisbane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2020, 12:05 PM
 
3,562 posts, read 4,393,286 times
Reputation: 6270
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Sydney. It's in an Anglophone country, has more of that suburban sprawl we all love, and is cleaner and less corrupt.

San Diego or Brisbane?
San Diego! Cleanest most perfectly manicured city I ever lived in. Everything one needs is there including great weather.

San Francisco vs San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2020, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Somewhere on the Moon.
10,061 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Reputation: 10363
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
San Diego! Cleanest most perfectly manicured city I ever lived in. Everything one needs is there including great weather.

San Francisco vs San Juan, Puerto Rico
I haven't been to San Diego yet, but several acquaintances, friends, and two brothers went there on different times. They all have nice things to say about San Diego, hence its on my 'must visit' list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2020, 05:40 PM
 
3,562 posts, read 4,393,286 times
Reputation: 6270
San Francisco vs San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top