Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2020, 10:11 AM

76 posts, read 39,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Cagliari! I've always been fascinated by Sardinia and that's an island that's a lot more populous and larger than Tenerife, so it won't feel as isolated. It's also closer to a lot more countries.

Here's some real island isolation:

King Edward Point, South Georgia Island, the United Kingdom or Port-aux-Français, Kerguelen Islands, France
Port-aux-Français, doesn't look as cold as King Edward's Point and has 5 times as many people (even though they speak French). Idk, I think I'd just want to stay warm lol.

Seattle, USA vs. Melbourne, Australia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 08:03 AM

7,780 posts, read 10,209,288 times
This one is a fun and tricky one for me to consider. Seattle is a city I like a lot, certainly top 10 in the US for my family and I'd overall rate it around 8 on a scale of 1-10. Melbourne and AUS in general I have never been to, so this is all a guess based on second-hand experience and friends and family who have lived or visited Melbourne. I imagine Melbourne would rank in my top 10 in the world and I'd peg it at around a 9 out of 10. But of course I've never been to the city or even the country, so this is a guess and a risk. Do I take the safe, attractive choice or the risky, slightly more attractive choice? I'll say Melbourne, but that's the gamble.

Orlando, USA vs Brisbane, Australia

Old 11-30-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
This one is a fun and tricky one for me to consider. Seattle is a city I like a lot, certainly top 10 in the US for my family and I'd overall rate it around 8 on a scale of 1-10. Melbourne and AUS in general I have never been to, so this is all a guess based on second-hand experience and friends and family who have lived or visited Melbourne. I imagine Melbourne would rank in my top 10 in the world and I'd peg it at around a 9 out of 10. But of course I've never been to the city or even the country, so this is a guess and a risk. Do I take the safe, attractive choice or the risky, slightly more attractive choice? I'll say Melbourne, but that's the gamble.

Orlando, USA vs Brisbane, Australia
Brisbane, Florida is America's armpit. Too much crime, drugs, humid heat, and transient drifters. Brisbane looks pretty nice and upscale in comparison and close to the Gold Coast is nice too.

Victoria BC, Canada vs. Christchurch, NZ

Old 12-02-2020, 01:07 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,394,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSonicSon View Post
Brisbane, Florida is America's armpit. Too much crime, drugs, humid heat, and transient drifters. Brisbane looks pretty nice and upscale in comparison and close to the Gold Coast is nice too.

Victoria BC, Canada vs. Christchurch, NZ
Victoria, lovely city and great location. Christchurch is prettier but too isolated for my tastes
Busan SK or Nagano, Japan

Old 12-02-2020, 11:28 AM

37,309 posts, read 39,712,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Victoria, lovely city and great location. Christchurch is prettier but too isolated for my tastes
Busan SK or Nagano, Japan
I like Japan better overall than South Korea, but I think I'd still take Busan over Nagano on account of both weather and being a much larger and livelier city. Nagano certainly is great in many ways, and it is perhaps much livelier than one would expect from a small city, but it's ultimately still quite small. I've never been to Busan, so it'd be an interesting experience.

Tainan, Taiwan versus Valparaíso, Chile

Old 12-02-2020, 03:52 PM

30,746 posts, read 18,427,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I like Japan better overall than South Korea, but I think I'd still take Busan over Nagano on account of both weather and being a much larger and livelier city. Nagano certainly is great in many ways, and it is perhaps much livelier than one would expect from a small city, but it's ultimately still quite small. I've never been to Busan, so it'd be an interesting experience.

Tainan, Taiwan versus Valparaíso, Chile
Valparaiso. I think I'd enjoy Chilean food more, though I'd love Taiwanese/Chinese food as well.

Rabat, Morocco vs. Honolulu, HI (they are sister cities, so not just a random pairing )

Old 12-04-2020, 04:01 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,611,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Valparaiso. I think I'd enjoy Chilean food more, though I'd love Taiwanese/Chinese food as well.

Rabat, Morocco vs. Honolulu, HI (they are sister cities, so not just a random pairing )
Well, I lived in Honolulu and have been to Rabat.. this is tough since they’re so vastly different, but I’ve always thought it would be cool to buy a Riyad in Morocco as a get-away spot. During non covid times, I love going to Morocco as a quick break from life in the western world, which is quite easy from Madrid. I’ve been there 5 or 6 times. I suppose I could just as easily live in Rabat and come back to Europe when I want. So I’ll say Rabat, although in Morocco, it wouldn’t be my first choice of city. Honolulu is a great city but just far too isolated for my travel bug, European tastes.

Mexico City vs Bangkok

Old 12-05-2020, 08:37 AM

7,780 posts, read 10,209,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
Well, I lived in Honolulu and have been to Rabat.. this is tough since they’re so vastly different, but I’ve always thought it would be cool to buy a Riyad in Morocco as a get-away spot. During non covid times, I love going to Morocco as a quick break from life in the western world, which is quite easy from Madrid. I’ve been there 5 or 6 times. I suppose I could just as easily live in Rabat and come back to Europe when I want. So I’ll say Rabat, although in Morocco, it wouldn’t be my first choice of city. Honolulu is a great city but just far too isolated for my travel bug, European tastes.

Mexico City vs Bangkok
What's your first choice in Morocco?

I've never been to Mexico City and I really love Bangkok/Thailand, so this is a surprise but I'll pick CDMX! It's got a larger regional population (although at those sizes probably not noticeably different). I don't know why but at this moment I just feel intrigued by the unknown. I do think these are two very well-matched cities.

Cozumel vs Phuket

Old 12-05-2020, 03:20 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,036,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
What's your first choice in Morocco?

I've never been to Mexico City and I really love Bangkok/Thailand, so this is a surprise but I'll pick CDMX! It's got a larger regional population (although at those sizes probably not noticeably different). I don't know why but at this moment I just feel intrigued by the unknown. I do think these are two very well-matched cities.

Cozumel vs Phuket
Phuket, as been there and it is a beautiful island. I never heard of Cozumel.

Marseille, France or Moscow, Russia

Old 12-05-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Phuket, as been there and it is a beautiful island. I never heard of Cozumel.

Marseille, France or Moscow, Russia
Marseille, I'm not sure why anyone would choose Moscow over living in the south of France on the Mediterranean.

Seoul, S. Korea vs. Taipei, Taiwan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World