Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2021, 09:13 AM

8,480 posts, read 6,878,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey the Otter View Post
Toronto because it is not as big and crowded.

Runde Island, Norway or Block Island, USA
We used to spend a few days in downtown Toronto every summer and loved it. But living there all year and dealing with months of gloomy Canadian winter weather is another thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 10:37 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Block Island. Better weather, nice beaches, also less remote. Seems quite nice.

Three Romes:

Rome (I) or Istanbul (II) or Moscow (III)
I have never been to any so this is really a complete tossup. None are in the top tier of appealing places to live, but they're all pretty ok and have various pros and cons (again without having visited). Moscow is probably the most appealing strictly as a city/built environment/human capital, but the weather plus being in Russia are major deterrents. Istanbul is super intriguing and probably is my first choice to visit. But it's a tad unfamiliar and could perhaps also be uncomfortable as a residence. So Rome is my choice. Though I have never been, I have been to Italy twice and I think it will offer enough city amenities while NOT being in Russia or getting cold.

Gaming capitals:

Las Vegas v Macau v Monte Carlo

Old 02-12-2021, 03:48 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,605,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I have never been to any so this is really a complete tossup. None are in the top tier of appealing places to live, but they're all pretty ok and have various pros and cons (again without having visited). Moscow is probably the most appealing strictly as a city/built environment/human capital, but the weather plus being in Russia are major deterrents. Istanbul is super intriguing and probably is my first choice to visit. But it's a tad unfamiliar and could perhaps also be uncomfortable as a residence. So Rome is my choice. Though I have never been, I have been to Italy twice and I think it will offer enough city amenities while NOT being in Russia or getting cold.

Gaming capitals:

Las Vegas v Macau v Monte Carlo
I've never been to Macau, but Las Vegas is near the bottom of the list of cities I'd live in, and I'm a Europhile so I'll say Monte Carlo.

San Juan, Puerto Rico or Palermo, Italy

Old 02-12-2021, 05:55 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,379,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
I've never been to Macau, but Las Vegas is near the bottom of the list of cities I'd live in, and I'm a Europhile so I'll say Monte Carlo.

San Juan, Puerto Rico or Palermo, Italy
Palermo, Italy has so much to offer and also has the rest of Europe its backyard.

Canmore, Canada or Vail Colorado

Old 02-18-2021, 05:42 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Palermo, Italy has so much to offer and also has the rest of Europe its backyard.

Canmore, Canada or Vail Colorado

Maybe Canmore? It's double the population size of Vail and slightly closer to a bigger city. Canmore just feels more like a truly fleshed out city to me.

Capitals of two countries I find fascinating:

Havanna, Cuba or Hanoi, Vietnam

Old 02-18-2021, 07:43 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Hanoi. I honestly think I would really enjoy living there for a few years. Havana, while very intriguing, I doubt I could live in for more than a brief stay (maybe a month?)

Similar regions:
Santo Domingo, DR or Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Old 02-18-2021, 08:08 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Hanoi. I honestly think I would really enjoy living there for a few years. Havana, while very intriguing, I doubt I could live in for more than a brief stay (maybe a month?)

Similar regions:
Santo Domingo, DR or Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Santo Domingo. Lots more going for it.

Cape Town, South Africa or
Auckland, New Zealand

Old 02-19-2021, 07:15 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Auckland, NZ. Proximity to Asia and Australia, safety, QOL, etc are all much higher.

Island recreation paradise showdown:

Ibiza, Spain or
Phuket, Thailand, or
Bali, Indonesia

Old 02-19-2021, 09:28 AM

76 posts, read 38,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Auckland, NZ. Proximity to Asia and Australia, safety, QOL, etc are all much higher.

Island recreation paradise showdown:

Ibiza, Spain or
Phuket, Thailand, or
Bali, Indonesia
Phuket, kind of biased because it's the only one of those I've been to, but Ibiza is probably a little too wild for me and Bali seems a little less connected and inferior to Phuket. Also I really like Thailand a lot.

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia vs. Muscat, Oman

Old 02-23-2021, 05:30 AM

603 posts, read 573,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSonicSon View Post
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia vs. Muscat, Oman
Addis Ababa, because most places are a better choice than any wholly owned franchise of allah akbar.

Portland, Oregon or Budapest, Hungary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World