Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2020, 08:52 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,439,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Split, other than being a beautiful city surrounded by beauty its location is very attractive. Capetown is beautiful, but the location turned me off. Plus it is crime rate is increasing. Didn't get a good vibe when visited.

Buenos Aires Vs Madrid
That's a tough one, but I'd go with Buenos Aires. I've always been fascinated by Argentina.

How about a battle between the northernmost city in the US and the southernmost one in the Americas and the world for that matter:

Utqiagvik (formerly Barrow), Alaska, US vs Ushuia, Argentina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 09:24 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,596,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
That's a tough one, but I'd go with Buenos Aires. I've always been fascinated by Argentina.

How about a battle between the northernmost city in the US and the southernmost one in the Americas and the world for that matter:

Utqiagvik (formerly Barrow), Alaska, US vs Ushuia, Argentina
Gotta go with Ushuia, at 54° 48′ 7″S, it's similar to being in Northern Germany. Barrow is at 71°18′N.. that's A LOT colder and a lot darker in winter. Plus Ushuia looks like it actually has some character to it.

Funchal, Madiera (Portugal) or Koloa (southern side) Kauai, USA.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:17 AM

53 posts, read 45,933 times
Madeira

Asuncion or cuiaba?

Old 05-03-2020, 01:56 PM

76 posts, read 38,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitowner86 View Post
Madeira

Asuncion or cuiaba?
Tough choice but I think I will roll with Asuncion only because it looks like a better looking city and Spanish speaking.

Denpasar, Bali vs. Patong, Phuket

Old 05-10-2020, 08:18 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,905,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSonicSon View Post
Tough choice but I think I will roll with Asuncion only because it looks like a better looking city and Spanish speaking.

Denpasar, Bali vs. Patong, Phuket
Phuket. Both are vulnerable to Tsunamis, but Thailand seems nicer, wealthier than Indo.

Outer suburbs of Sydney (take Penrith, for example) vs. outer suburbs of Dallas (Plano, Allen, Frisco). Let's say you have both US and AUS citizenship. The US generally has more crime and filth than Australia but Plano, Allen, Frisco are far, far safer, far cleaner, and far better educated than the US average. The schools in Plano/Allen are far, far better than average US schools.

I'd like to see if your new, upscale US suburb can rival Australia in terms of QOL.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Phuket. Both are vulnerable to Tsunamis, but Thailand seems nicer, wealthier than Indo.

Outer suburbs of Sydney (take Penrith, for example) vs. outer suburbs of Dallas (Plano, Allen, Frisco). Let's say you have both US and AUS citizenship. The US generally has more crime and filth than Australia but Plano, Allen, Frisco are far, far safer, far cleaner, and far better educated than the US average. The schools in Plano/Allen are far, far better than average US schools.

I'd like to see if your new, upscale US suburb can rival Australia in terms of QOL.
Sydney suburbs 100%. Sydney is 1000x more vibrant of a city than Dallas, suburbs included. Texas suburbs are blander than a cardboard milkshake. Plus I would much rather be surrounded by Australian society than Texas society

Continuing on the USA vs Australia theme:

Port Macquarie, NSW vs San Luis Obispo, CA

Both are about the same population, coastal, and mid way between two much larger, global cities.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:36 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,905,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
Sydney suburbs 100%. Sydney is 1000x more vibrant of a city than Dallas, suburbs included. Texas suburbs are blander than a cardboard milkshake. Plus I would much rather be surrounded by Australian society than Texas society

Continuing on the USA vs Australia theme:

Port Macquarie, NSW vs San Luis Obispo, CA

Both are about the same population, coastal, and mid way between two much larger, global cities.
Port Macquarie. San Luis Obispo is great if you're a pretentious wine snob but I'm a teetotaler who loves warm ocean water. California is not any more, if at all, more right leaning than NSW. California's at least as.left leaning as Scotland.

Don't you think Oran Park is blander than Plano? Plano actually has a good deal of high rise condos and corporate offices. More urban than you'd think.

Brisbane or Calgary? Both are often seen as boring and conservative outliers in otherwise left wing countries.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Port Macquarie. San Luis Obispo is great if you're a pretentious wine snob but I'm a teetotaler who loves warm ocean water. California is not any more, if at all, more right leaning than NSW. California's at least as.left leaning as Scotland.

Don't you think Oran Park is blander than Plano? Plano actually has a good deal of high rise condos and corporate offices. More urban than you'd think.

Brisbane or Calgary? Both are often seen as boring and conservative outliers in otherwise left wing countries.
I've spent a lot of time in Brisbane and it's a great city. It's very reminiscent of Miami meets Honolulu, and has very close proximity to some incredible beaches. The cost of living is significantly lower than Sydney or Melbourne too. I haven't been to Calgary but I could not deal with the winters there.

Plymouth, England vs Galway Ireland

Old 05-15-2020, 10:00 PM

51 posts, read 37,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
Plymouth, England vs Galway Ireland
I'd prefer Plymouth, England over Galway, Ireland: Plymouth is a larger city with a little more to do in it, is a little more 'bustling', and there are the beautiful beaches of Cornwall close to it; the climate also is better in my opinion (a little bit less of rainfall overall, a little bit more of sunshine overall and a little bit more of warmth in the summer).

Both of them look nice, though.

Barcelona, Spain VS. Acapulco, Mexico?

Old 05-15-2020, 10:39 PM

2,453 posts, read 2,354,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG57 View Post
I'd prefer Plymouth, England over Galway, Ireland: Plymouth is a larger city with a little more to do in it, is a little more 'bustling', and there are the beautiful beaches of Cornwall close to it; the climate also is better in my opinion (a little bit less of rainfall overall, a little bit more of sunshine overall and a little bit more of warmth in the summer).

Both of them look nice, though.

Barcelona, Spain VS. Acapulco, Mexico?
Barcelona hands down. Beautiful city , great location, lots and lots to do and see.

Innsbruck Austria or Aspen, Colorado
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World