Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2021, 02:48 PM

274 posts, read 173,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Rio - much better weather and more interesting IMO.

Victoria or Auckland?
I'm gonna assume this is Victoria, BC. If my assumption is right, the answer would be Auckland, no question.

Victoria is a nice little city for what it offers, very close proximity to nature, but it's only 92,000 people in the city, compared to 1.4 million in Auckland.

Auckland just offers so much more as a city, it's not really a contest in objective terms. I'd also find it interesting to live in New Zealand for a few years

Buffalo, NY or Stockton, CA

Last edited by scarbroo; 05-14-2021 at 04:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2021, 11:03 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,696,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarbroo View Post
I'm gonna assume this is Victoria, BC. If my assumption is right, the answer would be Auckland, no question.

Victoria is a nice little city for what it offers, very close proximity to nature, but it's only 92,000 people in the city, compared to 1.4 million in Auckland.

Auckland just offers so much more as a city, it's not really a contest in objective terms. I'd also find it interesting to live in New Zealand for a few years

Buffalo, NY or Stockton, CA
Stockton, CA hands down. Better weather and closer to ocean beaches for surfing even if wetsuit required.

Ushuaia, Argentina vs. Unalaska, AK, USA

Old 05-17-2021, 05:36 PM

6,037 posts, read 5,946,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Albany NY of course. Really no comparison on this one unless someone is seeking to live in one of the most isolated places on Earth. Albany NY, is a great combination of glorious nature, very nice city, history, proximity to all that the North East has to offer. Not a fair fight this one.

Bern V Bonn.
Disagree. Neither Albany mentioned is over 100,000 in population. Albany NY has a definite crime problem. (above USA average)Albany NY is a state capital. Albany WA was the original state capital in WA, being the first founded . While it has bit of a drug problem it hardly ranks compared to Albany NY, but still has close to 40,000 people. About half of Albany NY. (slightly less)

Old 05-17-2021, 05:40 PM

6,037 posts, read 5,946,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Stockton, CA hands down. Better weather and closer to ocean beaches for surfing even if wetsuit required.

Ushuaia, Argentina vs. Unalaska, AK, USA
Ushuaia Argentina. As have been there and liked the city and environs.

Marseilles vs Naples. Two of the more grittier cities in Europe. Crime and people living on the margins , but both with heart.

Old 05-17-2021, 05:44 PM

83 posts, read 101,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASJackson814 View Post
The Where Would You Rather Live? Game is one of my favorite threads on the City vs. City forum.
However, that one only covers US Cities. I am creating the World Edition in order to include cities from all around the world into the game.

Here's how it works:
One person posts two cities(label the countries as well). The next person then answers that question, with an explanation as to why, then they post the next question.

For example:
Person posts: London, England or Paris, France?
Next person: Even though Paris is great, I'll go with London because I don't have to learn a new language in order to live there. Chicago, United States or Toronto, Canada?

So let's start!
New York City, United States or London, England?
If my health were better Iwould like to be back in Motueka, New Zealand where I spent several years of my retirement.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:00 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,281,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Ushuaia Argentina. As have been there and liked the city and environs.

Marseilles vs Naples. Two of the more grittier cities in Europe. Crime and people living on the margins , but both with heart.
I’d go with Naples since it’s close to the Amalfi Coast and Capri. Plus, they’ve got great food there. I really didn’t care at all for Marseilles. They’ve got a nice mall at the port, but I thought the city was dirty and sketchy throughout. Sticking with gritty European cities...

Athens or Lisbon

Old 05-21-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I’d go with Naples since it’s close to the Amalfi Coast and Capri. Plus, they’ve got great food there. I really didn’t care at all for Marseilles. They’ve got a nice mall at the port, but I thought the city was dirty and sketchy throughout. Sticking with gritty European cities...

Athens or Lisbon
Lisbon. Athens seems too gritty and polluted. Plus I like the idea of being near the open Atlantic to catch some surf.

Beijing, China vs. Tehran, Iran

Old 05-21-2021, 09:09 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
Beijing. As much as I am loathe to live full-time in China, I would still probably have a pretty decent quality of life. Tehran probably not, at least not relative to Beijing to put it kindly.

Ulaanbaatar vs Riyadh

Old 05-21-2021, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Beijing. As much as I am loathe to live full-time in China, I would still probably have a pretty decent quality of life. Tehran probably not, at least not relative to Beijing to put it kindly.

Ulaanbaatar vs Riyadh
Ulaanbaatar. Riyadh is far too restrictive for my tastes.

Norilsk, Russia vs. Agadez, Niger

Old 05-22-2021, 01:37 PM

529 posts, read 556,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Ulaanbaatar. Riyadh is far too restrictive for my tastes.

Norilsk, Russia vs. Agadez, Niger
They’re both lovely, but I prefer the Russian gem.

Shiraz, Iran vs. Cleveland, US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World