Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 03:10 PM

27,570 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Young kids don't really think much about "high-paying jobs".
We learned math since 6 year old. Those who do well certainly enjoy it to some extent.
Yes, but the parents know about these career paths and will push their kids in a certain direction for that reason. Sometimes, even the teachers do the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 01:55 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yes, but the parents know about these career paths and will push their kids in a certain direction for that reason. Sometimes, even the teachers do the same thing.
Basically young kids are only learning language and math. If parents care about education, they care about both equally.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Asian kids probably hate math as much as in the West. However in Asia there's so much family and social pressure to excel academically that kids mostly discipline themselves so as not to disappoint family and peers.

In Singapore kids have regular school hours and many then attend cram schools in the afternoon and evenings to enhance math skills and other subjects. The pressure can be enormous and can lead to suicide in rare cases.
I never hated math myself. If something is difficult, you may struggle sometimes, but that does not lead to hatred.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:00 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
A lot of kids at my school hated maths but it was more to do with the maths teacher than maths itself, the teachers had a huge effect on the popularity of any of the subjects.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:33 AM

984 posts, read 1,315,210 times
For heavens sake I never said there were no artists in China or Korea, we are talking generalities here.

Yes you have to be able to apply different mathematical formulas to reach answers and that certainly requires intelligence but it is based upon memorizing those formulas..........rote learning. Rote learning can work well when the answers are clear, right/wrong, yes/no but is a poor teaching method when dealing in the social sciences, humanities, and the arts. In those fields there are no right or wrong answers because you are dealing in subjects that change with the human condition.

This is why Chinese and other Asian countries have students that excel in math & the physical sciences, their schools teach them in a method that is conducive to those special subjects.......rote learning.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
For heavens sake I never said there were no artists in China or Korea, we are talking generalities here.

Yes you have to be able to apply different mathematical formulas to reach answers and that certainly requires intelligence but it is based upon memorizing those formulas..........rote learning. Rote learning can work well when the answers are clear, right/wrong, yes/no but is a poor teaching method when dealing in the social sciences, humanities, and the arts. In those fields there are no right or wrong answers because you are dealing in subjects that change with the human condition.

This is why Chinese and other Asian countries have students that excel in math & the physical sciences, their schools teach them in a method that is conducive to those special subjects.......rote learning.
For kids, math requires much less rote learning than language or humanities classes. I never needed to prepare for math exams, but I always needed to recite a lot of things to pass English/history/geography...

Probably you learned math in a totally wrong way.

Well, American students are extremely poor at foreign languages too. Maybe they just don't learn anything challenging.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:26 AM

8,865 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Quote:
Well, American students are extremely poor at foreign languages too. Maybe they just don't learn anything challenging.
Yet these Asian students who have learnt everything challenging at school are all flocking the doorways of American universities. Yourself included. Ironic isn’t it.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:27 AM

It is interesting that some Westerners associate math with rote learning though. In China it is totally the opposite. I think it is a cultural factor.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Yet these Asian students who have learnt everything challenging at school are all flocking the doorways of American universities. Yourself included. Ironic isn’t it.
Why ironic? I came to the US to pursue a better life, but I never believe their way of math education is better.
What is your logic here?

Old 01-11-2018, 03:37 AM

8,865 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Quote:
Why ironic? I came to the US to pursue a better life, but I never believe their way of math education is better.
What is your logic here?
How is it not ironic? If the education in China (and other Asian countries) is so good, why are high schoolers and undergrads enrolling in American schools for tertiary and post-tertiary education en masse? If the math education is so bad in America, why are all the best institutions for science and engineering there?

And math is rote in Asia. You seem to think that you’re the only one who’s gone through the similar system, which couldn’t be further from the case here. Rote is not about memorisation, at least not primarily, it’s about repetition, which you have to do a lot in high school, especially in math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World