Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 02:28 PM

375 posts, read 332,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
Obviously, there will be people who will beg to differ that the quality of life in Singapore or much of East Asia is better including some of my Singaporean friends who now live in California. As I stated before, California has many problems, but has its pluses. Please tell me any place in the world that does not have problems? If you name one place I guarantee that many including myself will say that is so full of sh*t to claim that place has no problems. To each to their own. Plus, being more expensive does not necessarily equidate to being "better".
There are a lot of "Californians" in Singapore as well. What exactly makes California so special other than mild weather? When I lived there (Los Angeles) I failed to see much of a draw to it. It's really like 90% of the rest of the USA, just with more immigrants and nicer weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 02:36 PM

451 posts, read 1,324,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Liechtenstein

Old 01-16-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
There are a lot of "Californians" in Singapore as well. What exactly makes California so special other than mild weather? When I lived there (Los Angeles) I failed to see much of a draw to it. It's really like 90% of the rest of the USA, just with more immigrants and nicer weather.
I never said California is special. But stated it is to each to their own. What makes Singapore so special that I should take note that it is heaven on earth? For that matter what makes any place heaven on earth. One person’s heaven could be another person’s hell. Singapore has lots to offer but it is not for every person. High density, “kiasu” and high humidity is not for everyone. If you Love Singapore or where ever good for you.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I never said California is special. But stated it is to each to their own. What makes Singapore so special that I should take note that it is heaven on earth? For that matter what makes any place heaven on earth. One person’s heaven could be another person’s hell. Singapore has lots to offer but it is not for every person. High density, “kiasu” and high humidity is not for everyone. If you Love Singapore or where ever good for you.
1) Almost no crime. If you're a victim of crime in Singapore, you might as well have the won lottery.
2) World class amenities and shopping. Just compare Changi airport to LAX, enough is said.
3) Lower taxes than California, and the USA as a whole for that matter.
4) Very multicultural and diverse. To be fair, so is LA and San Francisco. Singapore is just moreso.
5) Ease of getting around the city. Can't say that in California with its traffic clogged roads and lack of PT infrastructure.

I won't mention that Singapore is very centrally located, if you don't mind getting on a plane.

I'm not saying that Singapore is for "everyone" but you can't deny it affords people a very high quality of life. You don't have to worry about crime, aggressive homelessness is not a problem, the city is clean, the amenities are all around you, the people are nice and friendly.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
1) Almost no crime. If you're a victim of crime in Singapore, you might as well have the won lottery.
2) World class amenities and shopping. Just compare Changi airport to LAX, enough is said.
3) Lower taxes than California, and the USA as a whole for that matter.
4) Very multicultural and diverse. To be fair, so is LA and San Francisco. Singapore is just moreso.
5) Ease of getting around the city. Can't say that in California with its traffic clogged roads and lack of PT infrastructure.

I won't mention that Singapore is very centrally located, if you don't mind getting on a plane.

I'm not saying that Singapore is for "everyone" but you can't deny it affords people a very high quality of life. You don't have to worry about crime, aggressive homelessness is not a problem, the city is clean, the amenities are all around you, the people are nice and friendly.
Not surprised with your responses-I've heard them all. I was not floored sorry. LAX is crap. And crime yes. There are many places that put California to shame re: that. 38 million people vs. 5.6 million in Singapore. But, then yes, you can say the same for Japan with 127 million people and lower crime. Still do not see how special Singapore is. Too small and for some boring as sh*t- but yes, I know it is a hub location. Much of those points can be said of other countries in East Asia- like Japan, South Korea and even Taiwan (lower crime, less homelessness, before public infastructure)- yet despite all that, I have met many who are dissatisfied and for all California's problems find it has a higher quality of life for them (for some it is more space, more diversity, a more relaxed lifestyle- I am not arguing that is true, but that is what I heard them say). My point: it is subjective. I am not going to argue it has a higher quality of life than East Asia or Singapore.

As for me, as I stated earlier- California is not hell. It is not heaven either. I can think of a lot of far worse places to live. And I've travelled to many countries around the world. My initial comment was that some people are making it sound like it is the worst place to live. I have a comfortable life here.

But, I still find it laughable when you make some generalized statement that Singapore has higher quality of life than any place in the US can offer. Tell that to some person content living on some ranch in Wyoming. I bet you he would never trade everything for his life there with the urban life in Singapore. Again, if Singapore is a your heaven- good for you. End of discussion.

Last edited by twnxn; 01-16-2018 at 04:06 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Not surprised with your responses-I've heard them all. I was not floored sorry. LAX is crap. And crime yes. There are many places that put California to shame re: that. 38 million people vs. 5.6 million in Singapore. But, then yes, you can say the same for Japan with 127 million people and lower crime. Still do not see how special Singapore is. Too small and for some boring as sh*t- but yes, I know it is a hub location. Much of those points can be said of other countries in East Asia- like Japan, South Korea and even Taiwan (lower crime, less homelessness, before public infastructure)- yet despite all that, I have met many who are dissatisfied and for all California's problems find it has a higher quality of life for them (for some it is more space, more diversity, a more relaxed lifestyle- I am not arguing that is true, but that is what I heard them say). My point: it is subjective. I am not going to argue it has a higher quality of life than East Asia or Singapore.
You can say that Japan, Taiwan and South Korea have less crime and homelessness than California but Singapore is safer and has less homelessness than them. This is what makes Singapore so unique, it's the best in many categories.

Boring? In what way? There is just as much to do in Singapore as there is to do in LA, San Francisco. I'd like you to name some ways you think Singapore is boring compared to some California cities.

You're taking this weirdly personal.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
You can say that Japan, Taiwan and South Korea have less crime and homelessness than California but Singapore is safer and has less homelessness than them. This is what makes Singapore so unique, it's the best in many categories.

Boring? In what way? There is just as much to do in Singapore as there is to do in LA, San Francisco. I'd like you to name some ways you think Singapore is boring compared to some California cities.

You're taking this weirdly personal.
Me taking this "weirdly personal?" It seems to me you are the one taking this "weirdly personal" if somebody does not bow down and say Singapore is the most amazing place on earth. I really don't care if you think California is nothing special, etc. Can you snow ski or snowboard in Singapore? Are there many great mountains to hike in Singapore? For some people that is what they are into and important to them. The world would be an extremely boring place if everybody has the same exact tastes. To each and their own. Accept the fact not everybody is going to like the same things as you.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:01 PM

Back to the topic on hand-just saw this article pop up (and you can read the comments to the article):

"Cost of California bullet train jumps by $2.8 billion just in the Central Valley"
Cost of California bullet train jumps by $2.8 billion just in the Central Valley - LA Times

Old 01-16-2018, 08:16 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Sure there is. I’ll ride it and many need it but don’t know it.

America needs a change in culture away from cars towards public transport, it’s more sustainable and affordable.
Los Angeles (and San Diego) to San Francisco (and Oakland) are served by cheap flights which take about an hour and 20 minutes. No real reason for bullet train redundancy.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:02 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Quote:
Singapore is not substantially safer than Japan, Taiwan, and Korea. The crime rates are comparable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World