Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2018, 12:17 AM

1,468 posts, read 1,331,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Nunavut seemed a new province of Canada. It is likely that a majority of the people are Inuit.

In the Northern Territory about 15% of people speak Aboriginal languages. If the Northern Territory was spit up and places such as Darwin, Katherine and Alice Springs were not included in the new territory or state, then it be like Nunavut where a majority of people speak indigenous languages.
Whenever I've been in Alice Springs or Katherine, pretty much every indigenous person in the street or elsewhere spoke in their native language, except when interacting with a non-indigenous person, like at the checkout in stores. I've found Darwin to be pretty much the same, but haven't been there in about 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 02:49 AM

4,434 posts, read 6,967,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Whenever I've been in Alice Springs or Katherine, pretty much every indigenous person in the street or elsewhere spoke in their native language, except when interacting with a non-indigenous person, like at the checkout in stores. I've found Darwin to be pretty much the same, but haven't been there in about 10 years.
That is interesting as you hear it in the urban areas there. However in New Zealand the biggest reason for the drastic decline in the use of Māori language was due to the urbanisation of the Māoris. To earn a living and go to schools in New Zealand urban areas one needed to know English and with that Maori language became much less useful and added to the decline.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:01 AM

26,809 posts, read 37,853,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Nunavut seemed a new province of Canada. It is likely that a majority of the people are Inuit.

In the Northern Territory about 15% of people speak Aboriginal languages. If the Northern Territory was spit up and places such as Darwin, Katherine and Alice Springs were not included in the new territory or state, then it be like Nunavut where a majority of people speak indigenous languages.
The demographics of the Northern Territory in Australia would be more similar to what those of Canada's three territories in the north (Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut) would be if they were all lumped together into one territory.

The first two (YK and NWT) have considerably lower percentages of aboriginal population than Nunavut does - as I said, it's about 85% Inuit. The other two territories have decent aboriginal populations within them, but not as high as in Nunavut.

Also worth noting in that yes, Nunavut is a fairly new territory, having only been created in 1999. The territory that was Nunavut was previously part of the NWT (which was even more staggeringly large, as you can imagine).

They took the parts of the NWT that were primarily inhabited by Inuit people (generally the easternmost portions) to make Nunavut. Though strangely enough they left some Inuit populations in the NWT, in the northern reaches especially near the Arctic Ocean.

About 10% of the NWT's population in Inuit.

And about one quarter of Canada's Inuit population actually lives in far northern Quebec. (Across the water from Nunavut.) Northern Labrador also has a couple thousand Inuit people.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:48 PM

2,232 posts, read 1,469,689 times
The vast majority of Australians of Aboriginal descent live in the cities, the biggest number I think in Sydney, and their partners are overwhelmingly of non -Aboriginal descent. They live lives that are almost indistinguishable from the rest of the community and often in looks are also indistinguishable. No way could tourists, if they were to see these people on their way to work or shopping, be aware of their Aboriginal descent.

The number living in remote areas is very small and these are the people who are still requiring a lot of support to bring their health, employment and educational status to the level of the overall community.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:03 PM

2,232 posts, read 1,469,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Its interesting too how 19th century Chinese immigration varied between Aus, Canada and the US (and NZ). Australia is probably the exception in that it wasn't a only "west coast" phenomenon. South Australia was probably the only state that didn't have a large Chinese population mid and/or late century; even Tasmania (as far away from China as you can get in Aus) to this day has reminders of that era.

There was a Chinese new year story on my local radio station, as usual, and I've found it reasonably common for moon cakes or similar to be handed out by anyone with Chinese ancestry or interest in the culture.
I always remember a child of Chinese descent in my class years ago. We were trying to increase the allocation of teachers to teach English to kids of non -English speaking background. So I was asking the child and some others whether anyone at home spoke another language, even at times or maybe just on the phone. He looked straight at me and informed me that he had, in fact, been born in Tasmania (which rightly or wrongly implied that no way would he speak anything but English!) When I met his grandparents they had broad Aussie accents and had most probably been born here.

After federation in 1901, many Chinese workers were sent back to China but obviously some remained. When I was a child, the only ethnic restaurant in our suburb was Chinese, but it served Aussie food too.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:22 PM

1,468 posts, read 1,331,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, in terms of how people say "garage", Canadians in English either say "gur-ahdge" or "gur-awjj".

They never say "garridge" which is how the British way sounds to me.
Same here. The only place I've heard the UK pronunciation was New Zealand.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
The demographics of the Northern Territory in Australia would be more similar to what those of Canada's three territories in the north (Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut) would be if they were all lumped together into one territory.

The first two (YK and NWT) have considerably lower percentages of aboriginal population than Nunavut does - as I said, it's about 85% Inuit. The other two territories have decent aboriginal populations within them, but not as high as in Nunavut.

Also worth noting in that yes, Nunavut is a fairly new territory, having only been created in 1999. The territory that was Nunavut was previously part of the NWT (which was even more staggeringly large, as you can imagine).

They took the parts of the NWT that were primarily inhabited by Inuit people (generally the easternmost portions) to make Nunavut. Though strangely enough they left some Inuit populations in the NWT, in the northern reaches especially near the Arctic Ocean.

About 10% of the NWT's population in Inuit.

And about one quarter of Canada's Inuit population actually lives in far northern Quebec. (Across the water from Nunavut.) Northern Labrador also has a couple thousand Inuit people.
There been proposals to create an Australian equivalent of Nunavut recently, yet even if it did happen it wont happen until several decades away.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:18 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,468,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
The vast majority of Australians of Aboriginal descent live in the cities, the biggest number I think in Sydney, and their partners are overwhelmingly of non -Aboriginal descent. They live lives that are almost indistinguishable from the rest of the community and often in looks are also indistinguishable. No way could tourists, if they were to see these people on their way to work or shopping, be aware of their Aboriginal descent.

The number living in remote areas is very small and these are the people who are still requiring a lot of support to bring their health, employment and educational status to the level of the overall community.
Yes, Sydney Brisbane and Perth are the three largest "Aboriginal Communities" in Australia, and the vast Majority live in New South Wales and Queensland. There are nearly 25,000 Aboriginals living in the greater Cairns region, which is the 4th highest number in the country ahead of Melbourne, which is 5th.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post

Actually pale skinned Aboriginals often have Aboriginal looking facial features.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:38 PM

14,723 posts, read 14,892,538 times
Quote:

Well, in terms of how people say "garage", Canadians in English either say "gur-ahdge" or "gur-awjj".

They never say "garridge" which is how the British way sounds to me.

On Canada's west coast we pronounce it "garradge", with the emphasis on the 'a' in the last syllable.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World