Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 09:48 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times

Advertisements

With Trump pushing protectionism, there are only a handful of developed countries which will have trade deals with the USA:

Canada

Australia

New Zealand

The UK

Conceivably-the Republic of Ireland could become eligible

In general, expect the USA to look south for trade, towards Latin America.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 02-17-2018 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 10:49 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
This is really off on a tangent, but if you want a hint of what a Hispanic imprint could feel like, watch Battle: Los Angeles.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 02-17-2018 at 10:57 AM..

Old 02-17-2018, 11:57 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Same here. The only place I've heard the UK pronunciation was New Zealand.
I keep hearing the term 'UK pronunciation' as if there was a way people in the UK pronounce everything, the reality is there are many different regional accents in the UK and each has its own way of pronouncing, different people in the UK pronounce garage in different ways, as they do grass or cooker of just about anything really. I notice that 'upper' class accents tend to say garage as they do in the US, whereas some 'southern' accents tend to put more emphasis on the first 'a', as a general rule a lot of (though not true in every case) northern accents are probably more phenomically correct than a lot of southern ones. The differences between accents in the UK can be so big that a lot of people within the UK itself can sometimes struggle to understand each other.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:24 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
One of the big differences I notice with Aboriginal Canadians is not necessarily in accent but in "tone". The tone of their speech is very soft, almost hushed in some cases. It's also often what I would describe as "monochord" (bad translation from French), in that it has very little raising compared to non-aboriginal speakers.

In many (but not all) regions the accent of aboriginal Canadians seems to reflect long contact with the French language, even if ironically most of them no longer speak French or have much contact with the language. And so for example some sounds in English such as "th" come out sounding like a "d", or the "h" at the start of words is slightly or totally suppressed. Both of which are things you hear from native French speakers when speaking in English. These speech patterns are common among aboriginals in regions quite far away from Quebec like the Prairies.
I heard the natives in Canada can sound different. What about the Métis, do they see themselves Native? I am aware they are derived from intermarriage between Natives, Scottish and French fur traders. in colonial times.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:57 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
I heard the natives in Canada can sound different. What about the Métis, do they see themselves Native? I am aware they are derived from intermarriage between Natives, Scottish and French fur traders. in colonial times.
The indigenous population in Canada is officially split up into three main groups:

First Nations: generally what most people used to refer to as "Indians" or "Natives"; Mohawks, Iroquois, Haida, Miqmaq, etc. are in this group.

Inuit: used to be referred to as "Eskimos".

Métis: were referred to pejoratively as "half-breeds" in the past; mixed European-aboriginal origins, often French, sometimes Scottish as you say; many of them were historically French speaking or spoke Michif (mix of French and an aboriginal language), but at this point have mostly transitioned to English.

Now, the First Nations group should not necessarily be seen as "purely" indigenous in origins. Most of the people in that group do have European origins as well like the Métis do, even if they're not considered as such. It's not a defining characteristic for some reason, as it is for the Métis. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can explain further.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:28 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Depending on their upbringing they can have a certain cadence to their speech. This guy starts off in his own language, then goes into English. His way of speaking is fairly common in some First Nations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qktLJ4EUn7w

Then you have Rosanna Deerchild, the host of the CBC Radio 1 show called Unreserved. She sounds like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS4ZfLtbuyI

Old 02-18-2018, 05:21 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Well I guess the way they can speak depends on where they live. I am aware there are natives who speak French as a first language. It like that in South Africa where the so called Coloured people first language is Afrikaans, and not just for a majority of white people there.

Well here in Australia it is these days it is offensive to call an Aboriginal with mixed blood as half cast or quadroon, etc. I guess it the same case as Canada. Anyway if someone identifies themselves as Aboriginal, and the Aboriginal community recognises the person is Aboriginal then the person is Aboriginal.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:47 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
The Empire is a relic of the past. The former colonies and the UK all have their own agendas.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:17 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Well I guess the way they can speak depends on where they live. I am aware there are natives who speak French as a first language. It like that in South Africa where the so called Coloured people first language is Afrikaans, and not just for a majority of white people there.

Well here in Australia it is these days it is offensive to call an Aboriginal with mixed blood as half cast or quadroon, etc. I guess it the same case as Canada. Anyway if someone identifies themselves as Aboriginal, and the Aboriginal community recognises the person is Aboriginal then the person is Aboriginal.
Yes the terms have changed in Canada as well. Using native Indian, or Indian is frowned upon. I actually don't hear it at all anymore. As Acajack has posted, the term First Nations, Metis and Inuit are better understood today I believe.

We used to have a ministry called Indian and Northern Affairs. It is now called Indigenous & Northern Affairs Canada.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:37 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes the terms have changed in Canada as well. Using native Indian, or Indian is frowned upon. I actually don't hear it at all anymore. As Acajack has posted, the term First Nations, Metis and Inuit are better understood today I believe.

We used to have a ministry called Indian and Northern Affairs. It is now called Indigenous & Northern Affairs Canada.
Actually Indigenous & Northern Affairs Canada has now been split into two departments.

Ottawa splits Indigenous Affairs into two departments - APTN NewsAPTN News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World