Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2018, 09:10 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
The US has the second largest Spanish speaking population in the world.

Culturally it’s not that Anglo as you believe. The percentage of Anglos will drop below 50 pretty soon.
Nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 09:53 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Dude, I live in New Mexico, possibly the least culturally Anglo state bar Hawaii, and it is pretty damn Anglo here.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:44 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,923,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Precisely. Without your cryptic sarcasm.

Let me guess, the main reason you are repulsed by a Republican form of govt is because of the US. It seems many or your posts have an underlying anti-American slant. Are you repulsed by the Irish Republic, by India, by France, by Germany, etc etc. or just the American version?

Old 02-12-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I would add the US to the list. Then we can have a full party.

No thanks. We are not interested. We have enough problems of our own. And our cultural ties with Britain are much much less than their ties with Canada, Australia and NZ.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post

I hope so, and then we can be rid of all the Canadians flooding our real estate markets in the SW and the SE and buying up properties so they can escape their icebox. Get in that agreement, and hopefully a future US govt would ban you users from coming down here to take advantage of our warmer winters. Go take the thousands of miles trek to Australia each winter. Good luck with that.

I was in Palm Springs in late November and couldn't escape Canadians at every turn. Stay home if Trump land is so bad.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:32 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I hope so, and then we can be rid of all the Canadians flooding our real estate markets in the SW and the SE and buying up properties so they can escape their icebox. Get in that agreement, and hopefully a future US govt would ban you users from coming down here to take advantage of our warmer winters. Go take the thousands of miles trek to Australia each winter. Good luck with that.

I was in Palm Springs in late November and couldn't escape Canadians at every turn. Stay home if Trump land is so bad.
Someone p***** in your coffee this morning?

Canadians spending money AND BEING ADVERTISED to by US companies to buy real estate actually helped Palm Springs economy, as well as the survival of border town. When the CDN gets too low in comparison to the USD, border towns and business PLEAD with ads and deals, begging for Canadians to visit and spend.

There is even this recent, albeit silly, request, although the economics are true.

Give Coachella to Canada: U.S. journalist says Canadians buoyed Palm Springs-area economy - British Columbia - CBC News

As for trekking to Australia, having CANZUK wouldn't sever ties or change existing laws re snowbirding in the US. It would open up the chance for snowbirds who may want to stay longer than 6 months.

As for bumping into Canadians at every turn. You now know what's it's like for the rest of the world when they travel. Americans everywhere.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:35 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,697,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

Well I can't speak for other Canadians but I will say that if and when I am finally able to go to Australia, I won't be coming back to Canada every year like a regular snowbird. It will most likely be a permanent move.

And for the record, I haven't set foot in the US since Trump took office and no plans to either at least until he's gone...

Old 02-12-2018, 03:42 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,494,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Culturally the US is still a VERY Anglo country, despite the 'stick' it sometimes gets it still has VERY strong links with all the other Anglo countries, popular culture and language are VERY strong bonds. It may not be part of the Commonwealth but we are talking about an 'Anglo' union/friendship here and the US should be included.
That's exactly my point.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:58 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,576,766 times
I don't think the UK and US are that culturally similar tbh - certainly not in the way we share cultural similarities with Australia and New Zealand, and even then I think certain people overstate the similarities. I think the shared language is by far the biggest aspect - and without it we'd be much more distant from one another.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:51 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,494,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I don't think the UK and US are that culturally similar tbh - certainly not in the way we share cultural similarities with Australia and New Zealand, and even then I think certain people overstate the similarities. I think the shared language is by far the biggest aspect - and without it we'd be much more distant from one another.
We'll yeah that's kinda the point. Australia is definitely closer to the UK then either Canada or the US but still fairly different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World