Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2018, 07:05 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
We'll yeah that's kinda the point. Australia is definitely closer to the UK then either Canada or the US but still fairly different.
Not really. It’s just that Australia and the UK are both different than the US and Canada so you’re not really attuned to the differences between them. Spend more time in both and you’ll get a better idea of how different they really are. My first impression of Canada was that it was very “British” in character, particularly people and apparent social norms, but that of course was just an initial impression heightened by time in the US immediately before hand that faded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 07:17 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Not really. It’s just that Australia and the UK are both different than the US and Canada so you’re not really attuned to the differences between them. Spend more time in both and you’ll get a better idea of how different they really are. My first impression of Canada was that it was very “British” in character, particularly people and apparent social norms, but that of course was just an initial impression heightened by time in the US immediately before hand that faded.
Canada is a bit more British than the US, but nowhere near as much as the other two.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:00 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
And the US is a mess right now. Disunity is the highest it's been since the 1860's. We'd be lucky to remain united, nevermind a union with any other countries.
A couple years ago, in the old Fourth Turning forum (now defunct), U.S. domestic politics was described as "an internal Cold War" or a "cold civil war". Myself, I would say "internal Cold War". Not totally surprising that the country would inward.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:05 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
I am against monarchies.

Pro-republic!

I feel the US should be the center of the commonwealth. We should have english language standardization because it bothers me that color and colour are spelled differently.

Also, if the UK became a secular republic, Ireland should rejoin a united republic of great britain.

Canada should be annexed and the french part should speak english.

e pluribus unum!

Old 02-12-2018, 08:09 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I am against monarchies.

Pro-republic!

I feel the US should be the center of the commonwealth. We should have english language standardization because it bothers me that color and colour are spelled differently.

Also, if the UK became a secular republic, Ireland should rejoin a united republic of great britain.

e pluribus unum!
Does it really matter if color is spelled with or without a 'u'.

No Quebec should not be forced to speak English. That's not going to end well. It will only push them to secede.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:27 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
Peter Zeihan (Zeihan.com) mentioned that because of rising wages in China, Mexican labor is now both cheaper and more skilled than Chinese labor. So if NAFTA should survive more or less intact, expect Chinese/U.S. trade to dramatically contract. This even without tariffs.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:40 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The US would have to break up for any part of it to form a union with other nations. It is already well known that the values of California, and to a lesser extent, Oregon and Washington, are more in line with Canada than they are to say, Utah, Alabama or Texas.
Yup-just for fun if a fragmented U.S would merge with Canada, geographically I would say Washington, Oregon and California on the west and New York State, New Jersey, Maryland, D.C and New England would integrate well with Canada on the East with Minnesota and Illinois in the Midwest though they might be a bit lonely. Michigan could probably be swayed Of course, The population of even those States/Jurisdiction would be quite a bit more than Canada. Still it would be a very formidable world economy easily top 5.

Quote:

e pluribus unum!
Yeah you'd make a lot of friends with this approach

Might not be a 'smooth' annexation - jus sayin....

Old 02-12-2018, 08:40 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Peter Zeihan (Zeihan.com) mentioned that because of rising wages in China, Mexican labor is now both cheaper and more skilled than Chinese labor. So if NAFTA should survive more or less intact, expect Chinese/U.S. trade to dramatically contract. This even without tariffs.
I always wondered why we can't at least move the american electronic manufacturing to mexican border cities instead of having them in china.

Mexico can at least be controlled by the US. The labor is cheap and you can work them like slaves. They also use roman characters and spanish is easier to translate.

You still avoid US labor and environmental regulations but you don't have to ship over an ocean.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:43 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
A couple years ago, in the old Fourth Turning forum (now defunct), U.S. domestic politics was described as "an internal Cold War" or a "cold civil war". Myself, I would say "internal Cold War". Not totally surprising that the country would inward.
It's moved past the "cold war" stage. In Montana last year during the elections, there was actually open conflict. Some sort of physical altercation. It was a cold war during the W Bush years.

Some states are completely at odds with the federal government and the policies it rolls out. Washington, Oregon and New York have all been rebellious and California is downright hostile toward DC.

Anyway, we're getting into a different topic but the point is that the US is really in no shape to form a union until it either reunites itself or its various regions part ways and form their own alliances. California for example would easily and quickly form an alliance with Canada.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:46 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
I am against monarchies.

Pro-republic!

e pluribus unum!
I don't even know where to begin with this. There are so many things wrong with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World