Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best overall Urban City Experience
Madrid 14 27.45%
New York 25 49.02%
Paris 12 23.53%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 11:38 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times

Advertisements

I found both Paris and Madrid to far exceed my expectations last month, I wonder how they stack up based on all of your thoughts to the premier city of the country I grew up in (New York).

Compare them on these and feel free to add any additional categories you want. This thread is not limited to these criteria points, feel free to add.

- Walkability

- Accessible amenities

- Availability of public transportation

- Build-up of infrastructure (roads, railways, water transportation, taxi, uber/lyft, bike lanes, pedestrian walkways, so on)

- Comprehensive planning

- City parks and greenbelts integrated into the urban experience

- Easy integration of residential, office, and entertainment establishments into the urban fabric

Also feel free to share your personal experiences and/or stories of your experience in each city. Feel free to post your own pictures (and if you use someone else's picture then just link it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 12:28 PM

531 posts, read 594,619 times
New York 8.5/10 ahead of Paris 7/10. I've not been to Madrid in many years, so I'll exclude it from my comparison.

New York's positives: Retail density, human capital, 24 hour subway and culture of convenience. Downsides: dire infrastructure, poor sanitation, and incredibly, miserably ugly urban furniture in too many areas. Human capital is by far most important to me when rating a city, so despite the negatives, New York is my preference out of the two. Without this one advantage, Paris would probably be ahead.

Paris has much more cultural texture and depth than New York, but, in my experience, suffers in human capital, dynamism and general energy. Infrastructure is not as bad as that in New York, but is not looking too great compared to other European cities. Transit is first tier, though not quite up to the standard of Tokyo or Seoul. Around monuments and attractions, it is a wonderful, inspirational and beautiful city. Stray too far away from these, though, and it can get very unpleasant very quickly.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:52 PM

401 posts, read 649,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
New York 8.5/10 ahead of Paris 7/10. I've not been to Madrid in many years, so I'll exclude it from my comparison.

New York's positives: Retail density, human capital, 24 hour subway and culture of convenience. Downsides: dire infrastructure, poor sanitation, and incredibly, miserably ugly urban furniture in too many areas. Human capital is by far most important to me when rating a city, so despite the negatives, New York is my preference out of the two. Without this one advantage, Paris would probably be ahead.

Paris has much more cultural texture and depth than New York, but, in my experience, suffers in human capital, dynamism and general energy. Infrastructure is not as bad as that in New York, but is not looking too great compared to other European cities. Transit is first tier, though not quite up to the standard of Tokyo or Seoul. Around monuments and attractions, it is a wonderful, inspirational and beautiful city. Stray too far away from these, though, and it can get very unpleasant very quickly.
you, sir, don't know Paris very well, that I can tell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZKqzoDMuz8

and what do you mean by human capital ?

Old 03-01-2016, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
you, sir, don't know Paris very well, that I can tell
Maybe I could get to know Paris a bit more.

But you'll need a better video than that if you're going to persuade me to change my views.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:10 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,604,630 times
Quote:
Around monuments and attractions, it is a wonderful, inspirational and beautiful city. Stray too far away from these, though, and it can get very unpleasant very quickly.
I think the opposite, Paris is better away from the monuments and attractions.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:39 PM

401 posts, read 649,481 times
Quote:
Maybe I could get to know Paris a bit more.

But you'll need a better video than that if you're going to persuade me to change my views.
don't really care about your views tbh, the video was just there to show that your statements are false, Paris is an incredibly lively and dynamic city with tons of people everywhere
and so is New York, of course

Old 03-01-2016, 03:49 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
One thing about Paris--it's a beautiful place to just wander around as a pedestrian, but too easy to get absolutely lost in all the small streets. It's tougher to find some destinations, like smaller museums that are off the beaten path. Locating specific addresses off main roads is challenging. For many of those small streets, it's tough to even find any signage with the names of them.

New York City, easy. It's a grid, everything's clear, no way you can get lost.

Madrid, I have no idea... but I wonder if it has a lot of little winding streets without street signs, like Paris? If you have all day to spend just wandering, I guess it could be seen as a positive thing, though.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
don't really care about your views tbh
Your choice. If you don't care about my views, then I continue my conception than New York is more exciting and dynamic.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:02 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,667,395 times
Quote:
Your choice. If you don't care about my views, then I continue my conception than New York is more exciting and dynamic.
I think you can't really compare the two....

Old 03-03-2016, 04:29 AM

570 posts, read 604,532 times
Madrid is the capital in the World in the S XVI and S XVII ,Paris of the S XIX and New York in the present centurie-

They are wonderful cities the full of treasures of his great glory in those centuries with their Museums Palaces of Churches and New York with place as the Cathedral of XXI century Wall Street.-

Madrid is of those 3 cities the city least Known in the anglo-Saxon World.( Forgive you if for this I go speak more of Madrid)
But Madrid was the old capital of a old Empire that today with their 21 countries of Spanish speaking (500 millions people) they visit us in masse now as tourists.

Also the tourists american and europeans us visit because Madrid it is the capital of Europe of the night and paradoxically the capital with more of hours light and the Capital where really enjoying the joy of life with its festivals and gastronomy of "Pinchos" and "Tapas".

Madrid a city that have the Royal Palace more big of Europe nearly twice the size of Buckingham and Versalles and the wonder of Escorial where FElipe II ruled half world full of treasures artistic and historical .-

A city surrounded by mediovales cities declared by UNESCO World Heritage only to half an hour in high-speed trains (Toledo.Avila Segovia), and of dozens of Castles.-

No need to stop enjoying of the 3 cities ,Why are unmatched among if.-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World