Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 11:27 AM

26,928 posts, read 13,160,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Look, guy, I was in London 1 1/2 year ago: AkA Covenant Garden, Chelsea(Harrod's), Oxford Street, South Bank, Croyden, Bromley, City and etc.. No, Downtown London doesn't qualify. Enough!
Covenant Garden.

You clearly don't know London at all, as it has some of the best shopping streets in the world, and the same is true of Paris and NYC, and indeed Chicago and a host of other cities.

The expensive streets are New Bond Street, Sloane Street, Regent Street and the numerous other streets I have already mentioned. Croyden and Bromley are on the outskirts of London, Covent Garden has some shops but it is an old flower market that is now an entertainment district, and the South Bank mainly referes to the Arts centre and apart from Borough Market (which is mainly a food market) is not a shopping destination.

As for Oxford Street it's a busy shopping street but London has many more impressive and expensive shopping streets, including the ones I have listed above.

Why London Is the Best City for Shopping Right Now - Condé Nast

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-21-2018 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 11:40 AM

2,556 posts, read 3,600,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I won't pretend that Chicago has the best downtown in the world, but the part in bold is flat out wrong. Downtown has been far more than just The Loop for decades at this point, hence why some of our tallest and most iconic downtown skyscrapers aren't even located in The Loop. Additionally, no one thinks Lincoln Park is apart of downtown, but even if it were, what sketchy areas are you even referring to on your way north up to Lincoln Park? In case you hadn't heard, they tore the Cabrini Green highrise projects down. The area is rapidly becoming condos.
Chicago's downtown (Roosevelt to say, Division) is one of the largest, most interesting and most vibrant downtowns in the world. I don't think this is up for debate. Sorry I took the bait from Topper, but I needed to correct this.

Of the ones mentioned -- London, NYC, Paris, Chicago, Berlin, Madrid (in rough order)-- are each comfortably in the top dozen in the world.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:42 AM

2,556 posts, read 3,600,697 times
Quote:
First of all: Mag. Mile is meth, secondly, I pointed out it's shady in certain areas of Greater Downtown Chitown area, and lastly, nightlife is basically further out.

SF downtown is too filthy and no sense of community once so ever, especially in the Financial District.

Center City Philly has a lot of it retail and retail is not the only reason why this downtown is on the list. Many other factors are taken into account.

What San Jose has to do with the list?

Just leave it at that: the list holds!

You are too negative, biased and unknowledgeable -- at least as far as the subject of this thread -- to be taken seriously.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:44 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,903,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Downtown Washington DC would have to fit somewhere on this list, it has infilled an incredible rate and vastly improved from 20 years ago. From a things to do stand point DC easily fits with the same grouping.
Just a notch below but still good and improving, though!!!

Old 02-21-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The Financial District is the City, in terms of the West End it has some of the best shopping streets in the world such as Regents Street, the very exclusive New Bond Street, Conduit Street, Sloane Street, Kings Road, Savile Row, Jermyn Street, Knightsbridge, Covent Garden etc. It's also home to Shaftesbury Avenue and one of the best theatre districts in the world. As for Oxford Streets it's undergoing a lot of change as it becomes pedestrianised. You also have numerpus markets around London, such as Borough Market, Camden Market, Leadenhall Market etc etc.

London at top of global league for luxury shop openings - The Telegraph (2017)

London world's top destination for luxury market - Retail Gazette

London's West End ranked top retail destination in Europe - Retail Focus

Sloane Street | Exclusive Luxury Shopping in London

Guide to the shops and art galleries in New Bond Street and Old Bond Street

Regent Street London - Shopping - Fashion - Events

The ultimate Knightsbridge shopping guide : The Shaftesbury

Street guide to London's King's Road in Chelsea, plus Sloane Square

Savile Row Bespoke

Jermyn Street

Covent Garden: Shopping, Food & Cultural Destination, London

Best London markets – Shopping – Time Out London

Harrods, designer clothing, luxury gifts and fashion accessories

Harvey Nichols - Designer Fashion, Beauty, Food & Wine

Liberty London | Liberty London

Fortnum & Mason

Asprey London Est. 1781

London West End Theatres

The same is true of Paris which has the Champs Elysees, Rue de Passy, Rue de Renne and arguably some of the best shopping streets in the world, ad does NYC and many other vibrant global cities.
They're not in downtown! Downtown is only (City). The rest of great shopping are in the hoods like West End, Chelsea and others. I'm talking specifically downtown only. West End is not downtown

Old 02-21-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
You are too negative, biased and unknowledgeable -- at least as far as the subject of this thread -- to be taken seriously.
I'm satisfied with my findings and not negative.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Chicago's downtown (Roosevelt to say, Division) is one of the largest, most interesting and most vibrant downtowns in the world. I don't think this is up for debate. Sorry I took the bait from Topper, but I needed to correct this.

Of the ones mentioned -- London, NYC, Paris, Chicago, Berlin, Madrid (in rough order)-- are each comfortably in the top dozen in the world.
Agree to disagree!!!

Old 02-21-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Chicago and Madrid are on Honorable Mention list. Still very good downtowns, though

Old 02-21-2018, 11:55 AM

26,928 posts, read 13,160,990 times
Quote:
They're not in downtown! Downtown is only (City). The rest of great shopping are in the hoods like West End, Chelsea and others. I'm talking specifically downtown only. West End is not downtown
Downtown is not just the City, the City in London refers to the square mile which is the financial district, the entertainment, theatre and shopping district of central London is the West End.

I am sorry but if you think Central London only consists of the 'City of London' then you clearly don't have a clue, and should refrain from any serious discussion. To suggest the West End is a hood or that Chelsea is not in Central London is laughable. Btw the London Underground Station for Chelsea is Sloane Square.

West End of London - Wikipedia

City of London - Wikipedia

Everything within Zone 1 on the London Underground Map is generally considered Central London.

Tube Map - Transport for London

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-21-2018 at 12:43 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 01:42 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,208,896 times
Quote:
Chicago and Madrid are on Honorable Mention list. Still very good downtowns, though
The thing that Chicago's core evolved to .... was to vastly increase in population it did not have a few decades ago. Have such iconic US Architectural significance to restore and re-purpose. Having Great museums right in the core region and its Grand lakefront.

You can Shop on N Michigan Ave malls, high-end retailers and in summer .... hit Oak St. beach with its tiki-bar at the streets start. The river downtown evolved into a architectural skyscraper canyon. The city steered itself toward tourism and from its Navy Pier now remodeled to Millennium/Maggie Daley Parks that in visitor counts .... is the biggest attraction in the Midwest US and top 10 in the US. NYC's Centro Park and DC's National Mall Park.

The skyscraper was born in Chicago with the second oldest and others landmarks and fully restored. The Loop has its own version of Wall St and was lucky preservationist saved some of its old movie palaces to be live theatre venues today.

Even areas that once disconnected the core from its neighborhoods with former industry and warehousing. Became prime areas to re-invent to loft living and other infill to high-rise living. So bu US standards. Chicago's core is a Top contender for hitting all the -bells and whistles for top downtown with Manhattan of course. Just too much to NYC to deny it.

Last edited by DavePa; 03-10-2019 at 09:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World