Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 08:31 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
I never said Downtown Chi is Loop. The problem with this downtown is that it's too grossly spread out with so many pockets of dead space and shady areas(AKA 2016). There are a lot of very aggressive pandhandlers making things difficult for residents and tourists alike. Nightlife all the way pass Rush/Division are just Meh, and that's it. I'm not talking about 1985. I'm talking about current downtown. I put Downtown Chi as honorable mentioned downtown, which is huge. It's not the best in the world but still a large decent downtown core with its pros and cons. Let's move on beyond the "Windy City" and city of "Big Shoulders" please. I do like the Creamsicles at Navy Pier though.
Yes you should give some Philly luv in listing its specifics make your list? I think the World is laughing and I'm done unless a REAL good reason to post. At least no san Jose vs Chicago thread popped up.

You could do a Toronto vs your top other cities? Or pit another vs others... I have some templates to work on and glass of wine to sip.

Oh I didn't see aggressive panhandlers in Chicago I did in cities I won't mention though. I will have to get a cremclcle at Navy Pier. Why get a beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 08:46 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
You could do a Toronto vs your top other cities? Or pit another vs others... I have some templates to work on and glass of wine to sip.
Toronto vs other cities - what you sick of T.O vs CHI lol.. I knew you had template(s) lol... Don't spill the wine on your computer

Old 02-21-2018, 08:49 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Toronto vs other cities - what you sick of T.O vs CHI lol.. I knew you had template(s) lol... Don't spill the wine on your computer
It's a Tablet so no keyboard to spill on. You could chill on one too .... a good wine not whine. Like I say. Time for Toronto vs. the World's cities.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:29 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
It's a Tablet so no keyboard to spill on. You could chill on one too .... a good wine not whine. Like I say. Time for Toronto vs. the World's cities.

Oh no, here we go.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:53 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
I have an Italian red on the ready always so no worries buddy! You know my feelings on Toronto vs cities outside the U.S and Canada - Australia too. It is generally difficult to compare because things are so much different. Many great cities don't even have an established 'core' - they are pretty urban though throughout and suburban form far less pronounced as our more 'sprawly'
cities. Madrid is a fantastic city, but its CBD is forgettable and far away from the old and best parts of the city. So yeah, comparisons are more difficult.

In the list the OP put up - I see Toronto, Vancouver, Philly, Sydney and Melbourne as being more comparable to one another than others on the list.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:27 AM

2,299 posts, read 1,521,375 times
Well take Sydney off the list for the moment. The CBD as we call the downtown is completely disrupted with the construction of a light rail. They should never have removed the trams as now the city and inner suburbs are construction sites, between light rails, high rises, roads....

Luckily Melbourne kept their trams.

Not on the list, but I like Ottawa and also Edinburgh.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:07 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
NYC 'downtown' is ambiguous. If we go by what constitutes as a downtown, almost all of Manhattan south of 59th St I'm sure would qualify. Tokyo is also quite amazing, but is decentralized and thus no real downtown. The areas around Shibuya Station have some of the best nightlife I've ever experienced. Philly's downtown is alright, but it's 3rd rate and boring. It's getting better and I do like Philly, but I won't trade my apartment in Manhattan for it unless I couldn't afford it anymore and couldn't leave the US (Philly is a good alternative East Coast city that hasn't ballooned).

But something about trouble.

When rating downtowns, it's really ambiguous and non uniform. What I want in one is not what another does. What one values as best is not what someone else does. The game changes tremendously if you can speak the language of the native country as well. You can truly act more like an urban junkie in Tokyo than you can in NYC these days, but you'd never get that feeling without really getting to know the city. I have no idea how to feel a tourist perspective anymore (I've never visited Tokyo Tower or the Freedom Tower nor have had desire to), but I know my bars with $2/200円 drinks and the clubs I can get comped, and it's a helluva way to begin a Saturday (or in the cases of the metropolises, Monday!!) night.
Totally false. Leaving New York City out of the equation, Philadelphia's downtown (Center City) is not boring and 3rd rate. Birmingham NY or Harrisburg PA having boring 3rd rate downtowns, Philadelphia is among the best in the nation in all categories. Only NYC and Chicago standout as having more active/ interesting "downtowns" in the US.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:27 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Totally false. Leaving New York City out of the equation, Philadelphia's downtown (Center City) is not boring and 3rd rate. Birmingham NY or Harrisburg PA having boring 3rd rate downtowns, Philadelphia is among the best in the nation in all categories. Only NYC and Chicago standout as having more active/ interesting "downtowns" in the US.

San Francisco, at a minimum, is the equal of Philadelphia, probably better. Would agree though that Philadelphia has a good downtown.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:53 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
San Francisco, at a minimum, is the equal of Philadelphia, probably better. Would agree though that Philadelphia has a good downtown.
Sorry I forgot San Fran. So NYC, Chicago are top, then San Fran/Philly/Boston I would put next. None them are 3rd tier, not even close.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:06 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
They're not in downtown! Downtown is only (City). The rest of great shopping are in the hoods like West End, Chelsea and others. I'm talking specifically downtown only. West End is not downtown
This made me spit my coffee out with mirth! :-D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World