Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:26 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

Also, saying it is 'probably' more common that Sikh's in Canada wear turbans more than Sikh's in India. Really like - what is the big deal about this. Did someone actually count the number of Sikh's in India and Canada and come up with a per capita number of Sikh's wearing turbans and why exactly would they do that!!!???

I got this information from Sikh commentators themselves, both based in Canada and in India.

And also from former BC Premier and federal Minister of Health Ujjal Dosanjh (who styles himself as a moderate Sikh), and whom I actually bumped into in Ottawa a couple of weeks ago, believe it or not.

You know that guy who was suspected of being a terrorist who somehow got on the invite list for a VIP reception with Justin Trudeau in India a few weeks ago? He's the same guy who tried to kill Ujjal Dosanjh in 1985.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 10:36 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I actually knew that someone would buck at the National Post article, but I said what the heck. It's the first one that came up when I did a search. There are tons of other sources for this and there are tons of other angles as well.

The school in Toronto where 90% of parents kept their kids out of class in protest (Thorncliffe Park) is one of the only schools in the city with a Muslim majority.

And anyone who saw coverage of larger protests in Toronto, Ottawa and other Ontario cities couldn't help but have noticed the high preponderance of women with headscarves and in some cases head coverings.

There is no need to make any of this up - it's reality and plain to see.

But as I acknowledged in my post you responded to, there are certainly lots of non-minority people who were and are opposed to the sex ed program. Including many in the provincial Conservative party - some of them its leading figures past and present.

Although one may wonder how much of that is about true convictions and how much of it is trying to an appeal to an electorate that has traditionally voted for the rival Liberals.
Fair enough, i'm just not a big fan of that paper. As you know, i'm quite a liberal and progressive individual and have no bones to pick with curriculum that introduces kids to real life before they learn about it from more unsavoury sources. Of course there is a but here - the curriculum may not have been properly communicated or vetted with members of all communities in the Province. The current government is notorious for doing this. I'm not saying that conservative elements aren't at play and admitted as such in the Muslim community. It is part and parcel of diversity - you're not going to get everyone beating to the same drum. You know how I feel regarding our core values as a nation so I think while this is an interesting examination, I don't think it'll inhibit moving forward on important social issues. I also made the point, that this isn't something that would necessarily be compartmentalized to Toronto. I'm sure in similar circumstances as I mentioned, some communities in other large cities in our country would have similar vocal concerns.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Well, Mr. Singh seems to have chosen to let his religion influence his politics at least to some degree. So we're all free to draw our own conclusions based on that.

This does contrast with the approach of someone like the mayor of Calgary, Naheed Nenshi, who is Muslim but who maintains a strict dividing line between religion and his leadership of that city.

In any event, personally I may well end up voting for Mr. Singh's party anyway, so there you go...
As I said, i'm not too familiar with Mr. Singh's views or if he has allowed those to influence his politics. What I am saying is we should put religious/cultural symbols on their own to the side when evaluating what a leader or politician will offer and not allow them on their own to influence our votes. We are free to do that, but I think there is a greater threat in doing that than simply casting such symbols and adornments aside because they do necessarily influence their policy views in the secular arena of Canadian politics.

I may examine those views of Mr. Singh more closely in the near future but he hasn't been on my radar as I am certainly on a federal level a card carrying liberal.

As for your personal vote - you are free to do so as you choose

I congratulate you if you ignore minutia and judge a candidate on his/her actual views/stances on the political front. Like you however as I strongly presume about you, I certainly am a HUGE advocate of separation of church and state so if he is crossing the line he'll be crossed off my list and that'll be nothing to do with a Turban.

Quote:
I got this information from Sikh commentators themselves, both based in Canada and in India.

And also from former BC Premier and federal Minister of Health Ujjal Dosanjh (who styles himself as a moderate Sikh), and whom I actually bumped into in Ottawa a couple of weeks ago, believe it or not.

You know that guy who was suspected of being a terrorist who somehow got on the invite list for a VIP reception with Justin Trudeau in India a few weeks ago? He's the same guy who tried to kill Ujjal Dosanjh in 1985.
Similar to my response before though - I find it kind of silly and just nitpicking minutia worrying about which Sikh's in which part of the world wear the most turbans on a per cap basis. I wouldn't conflate that adornment with Sikh nationalism/terrorism. A Sikh terrorist may wear a turban but doesn't mean all Sikh's who wear turbans are terrorists or 'nationalists' - Besides, danger may be the one who doesn't 'look the part' as those are the one's who can slip under the radar insidioiusly.

I'm more concerned about - do we have growing Sikh terrorism cells/groups/organizations in our country and if so, we need to deal with that more than worrying about Jagmeet Singh's or Gurbinder's Turban.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-20-2018 at 11:23 PM..

Old 03-20-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
No I don't have a problem and if I encounter one, I call them the name they wish to be called. I also called the MTF transgender a she, when referring to her when I used to work with her because the transgender looked like a woman.
I think this is a sensible and moral approach to dealing with Trans people. It should be common courtesy and common sense. It is also a measure of respect. In other words, identifying people with what they identify in terms of gender identification isn't a big deal and I pity any person who needs to dismiss/disrespect something that is so profoundly a part of another human being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
However Dr Peterson, statement of refusing to use genderless pronouns, has caused him in hot water as this video shows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChcUMvo1x_A
Well I think the response was pretty juvenile.. Whether one agrees with Petersons views or not, his voice shouldn't be silenced. That said, he also needs to look at the organization he is working for and maybe working more behind the scenes in a more diplomatic and intellectual manner to influence change if he is against it. I'm still trying to figure out what his modus operandi is.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:

Well I think the response was pretty juvenile.. Whether one agrees with Petersons views or not, his voice shouldn't be silenced. That said, he also needs to look at the organization he is working for and maybe working more behind the scenes in a more diplomatic and intellectual manner to influence change if he is against it. I'm still trying to figure out what his modus operandi is.
Mr. Peterson's modus operandi is actually to keep everyone guessing about his modus operandi... and his true intentions.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:07 AM

I think people might find this interesting:

Service Canada moves away from calling Canadians Mr., Mrs., or Miss - Politics - CBC News

Old 03-21-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
As I said, i'm not too familiar with Mr. Singh's views or if he has allowed those to influence his politics. What I am saying is we should put religious/cultural symbols on their own to the side when evaluating what a leader or politician will offer and not allow them on their own to influence our votes. We are free to do that, but I think there is a greater threat in doing that than simply casting such symbols and adornments aside because they do necessarily influence their policy views in the secular arena of Canadian politics.

I may examine those views of Mr. Singh more closely in the near future but he hasn't been on my radar as I am certainly on a federal level a card carrying liberal.

As for your personal vote - you are free to do so as you choose

I congratulate you if you ignore minutia and judge a candidate on his/her actual views/stances on the political front. Like you however as I strongly presume about you, I certainly am a HUGE advocate of separation of church and state so if he is crossing the line he'll be crossed off my list and that'll be nothing to do with a Turban.

Similar to my response before though - I find it kind of silly and just nitpicking minutia worrying about which Sikh's in which part of the world wear the most turbans on a per cap basis. I wouldn't conflate that adornment with Sikh nationalism/terrorism. A Sikh terrorist may wear a turban but doesn't mean all Sikh's who wear turbans are terrorists or 'nationalists' - Besides, danger may be the one who doesn't 'look the part' as those are the one's who can slip under the radar insidioiusly.

I'm more concerned about - do we have growing Sikh terrorism cells/groups/organizations in our country and if so, we need to deal with that more than worrying about Jagmeet Singh's or Gurbinder's Turban.
Regardless of what he wears and looks like, Mr. Singh could actually dispel most of that with what he says. Or doesn't say.

Again - look at Mr. Nenshi in Calgary.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Mr. Peterson's modus operandi is actually to keep everyone guessing about his modus operandi... and his true intentions.
I tend to lose interest in such types. I've heard about this guy more in these forums from posters outside of Canada than from within.

Quote:
Regardless of what he wears and looks like, Mr. Singh could actually dispel most of that with what he says. Or doesn't say.

Again - look at Mr. Nenshi in Calgary.
I don't know what he is or isn't saying (Singh) because I haven't had a need to pay attention. All i'm saying is something like a turban won't influence my vote for or against him on its own - what he says and does will once I have time to actually worry about it. I would apply this to any politician Nenshi included even though he obviously doesn't wear a turban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World