Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 11:03 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,160,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Two thoughts on this.

1. You mean the life-or-death needs of the love of your life do not override your rules of thumb?

2. You let the US government decide for you which places are suitable for you to live, and which to avoid?
Give me an example of a “life-or-death need” that would require someone to permanently relocate from a developed country to an undeveloped and potentially dangerous country.

And the visa waiver program designation is not just the government saying this or that. They are countries that people actually return to because they are safe, decent places to live. It’s based on empirical data. And like I said before, it’s just a guide for me. There are several countries not on the list that I would still probably move to (i.e. Uruguay).

You could even go a step further and look at visa refusal rates by country. The higher the refusal rate, IMO the worse it is, because it indicates most people would not return to that country if given a visitor’s visa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 11:38 AM

4,095 posts, read 3,696,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post

You could even go a step further and look at visa refusal rates by country. The higher the refusal rate, IMO the worse it is, because it indicates most people would not return to that country if given a visitor’s visa.
Really? If that's the case then forget Norway with 17.4% refusal rate or Australia with 17.2%, even UK with 20.2% refusal rate just below Colombia's refusal rate of 21.9% with flights at only $200 bucks return. I'm sure Norway is a better place to live than Saudi Arabia for example.

Source: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam...Rates/FY17.pdf

Old 04-09-2018, 01:03 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,160,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Really? If that's the case then forget Norway with 17.4% refusal rate or Australia with 17.2%, even UK with 20.2% refusal rate just below Colombia's refusal rate of 21.9% with flights at only $200 bucks return. I'm sure Norway is a better place to live than Saudi Arabia for example.

Source: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam...Rates/FY17.pdf
Are you considering the fact that the people who are applying for B visas from visa waiver countries are doing so because of other reasons, such as wanting to stay a longer period or perhaps criminal or prior immigration issues that make them ineligible under the visa waiver program?

You are comparing a small portion of the population of the visa waiver countries to the general population of non visa waiver countries.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:23 PM

4,095 posts, read 3,696,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Are you considering the fact that the people who are applying for B visas from visa waiver countries are doing so because of other reasons, such as wanting to stay a longer period or perhaps criminal or prior immigration issues that make them ineligible under the visa waiver program?

You are comparing a small portion of the population of the visa waiver countries to the general population of non visa waiver countries.
There's no difference, all B visa applications are subject to the same requirements. Colombians get visas for 10 years, an aussie or a brit or a norwegian may want a 10 year visa also as opposed to the 2 years offered by the visa waiver, especially when undertaking business.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:26 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,486,095 times
I'm pretty adventurous, but I have heard nothing good said about being in Saudi Arabia from my oil/military friends who have been posted there.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:15 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,468,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Two thoughts on this.

1. You mean the life-or-death needs of the love of your life do not override your rules of thumb?

2. You let the US government decide for you which places are suitable for you to live, and which to avoid?
Well, if you're in the Witness Protection program, you'll likely have to follow the government's directive anyway.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:22 PM

532 posts, read 442,125 times
...retired military

The government has moved me 14 times, I'm good for another.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:03 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,187,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I'm pretty adventurous, but I have heard nothing good said about being in Saudi Arabia from my oil/military friends who have been posted there.
Saudi Arabia is probably the singular exception to the "live anywhere" doctrine. Outsiders are excluded from the social fabric, by custom if not by law. Having said that, the Little League World Series once had a team representing Saudi Arabia, the children of expats living in the gated enclosure.

I traveled across KSA in my car and felt quite free to move about, my wife even drove. But it still not a place where it would have been feasible to set up residence outside an expat zone.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:10 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,314,355 times
North Korea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World