Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2018, 03:03 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times

Advertisements

Okay, draw comparisons...good luck!

I'll start....
Thailand and Ethiopia were never colonized.
Cuba and The Philippines were both colonized by the Spanish.
Cuba and Vietnam = Communism which had huge ramifications for the U.S.
Philippines and Cuba both are islands-nations.

Others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 05:46 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,065 times
Cuba and Philippines were both US colonies, from the Spanish American war to the 1930s.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:58 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,021,486 times
Thailand kinda got colonized by the Japanese in WWII but Thailand signed some kind of partnership so i guess it doesn't count.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:44 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,492,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Thailand kinda got colonized by the Japanese in WWII but Thailand signed some kind of partnership so i guess it doesn't count.
That was an occupation rather than colonization.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:23 PM

417 posts, read 444,796 times
Philippines and Cuba-currency is the Peso.
Thailand and Vietnam-Buddhism is the dominate religion.
Thailand and Philippines-I have been there.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:07 AM

9,355 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Okay, draw comparisons...good luck!

I'll start....
Thailand and Ethiopia were never colonized.

Others?
Not sure how you define "colony", but Italians invaded Ethiopia in 1936 and set up an administration that lasted until 1941 when they were ousted by the British.

So, however you define it, poor example of a comparison.

If anything, I view Ethiopia as unique among your list in the sense that it was an integral part, albeit on the extreme southern edge, of the ancient Fertile Crescent/Mediterranean world.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:32 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Not sure how you define "colony", but Italians invaded Ethiopia in 1936 and set up an administration that lasted until 1941 when they were ousted by the British.

So, however you define it, poor example of a comparison.

If anything, I view Ethiopia as unique among your list in the sense that it was an integral part, albeit on the extreme southern edge, of the ancient Fertile Crescent/Mediterranean world.
Good discussion point.

Ethiopians generally pride themselves in not being colonized by Europe.

I think they define the difference as Ethiopia was recognized as a city-state when Africa was being carved up, and basically left alone. It was just much later, that it was 'occupied'. Their language, religion and culture were left completely in-tact, etc.

That being said, ERITREA was basically Italy for a while. Which is basically why Eritrea just can't allow itself to become Ethiopia again. Eritrea was significantly and fundamentally changed from the experience, and unable to feel like it can connect with Ethiopia.

That being said, there are an awful lot of similarities between Ethiopia and Eritrea!

Old 04-06-2018, 07:05 AM

9,355 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Good discussion point.

Ethiopians generally pride themselves in not being colonized by Europe.

I think they define the difference as Ethiopia was recognized as a city-state when Africa was being carved up, and basically left alone. It was just much later, that it was 'occupied'. Their language, religion and culture were left completely in-tact, etc.

That being said, ERITREA was basically Italy for a while. Which is basically why Eritrea just can't allow itself to become Ethiopia again. Eritrea was significantly and fundamentally changed from the experience, and unable to feel like it can connect with Ethiopia.

That being said, there are an awful lot of similarities between Ethiopia and Eritrea!
You've clarified your point a bit.

Over time the meaning of Axum, Abyssinia, Ethiopia, Eritrea, etc. is a moving target.

I don't think many outsiders are well versed on the details of current politics regarding Ethiopia and Eritrea, and I, for one, intend to stay out of it.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:09 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,065 times
Four of them (except Thailand) have had a practicing Christian president.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:04 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,896,255 times
All 5 have been under control of a major foreign power in the 20th century.
All 5 countries were at war with Japan and Germany in WWII.
4 of the 5 countries were involved in the Vietnam and Korean Wars. Vietnam wasn’t in Korea and Ethiopia wasn’t in Vietnam.

Cuba, Philippines, and Vietnam have had major language changes in their recent histories.

Ethiopia and Thailand have retained much of their languages that were eroded in their regions or neighboring countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World