Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 06:20 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,165,772 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the right section this topic belongs too but if it's wrong, you can place it where it belongs. Do you think I'm still on time to learn other languages or will it be harder?

I'm fluent in both Spanish (my native tongue) and English. In French, I'm at an upper intermediate-advanced level.

There are three language I would like to learn and get to a level (even if I have an accent) that's understood by the native speakers:
Quechua: one of my country's original language; I would like to try speaking the way the Incas used to long ago or if I ever travel to Cusca speak some with the natives over there; I want to feel like a full Peruvian

Chinese Mandarin: I've read this is the 3rd most important language since Asia is big. I would be interesting to see how I sound like speaking some Asian language.

Portuguese:
I adore the fact that it's similar to Spanish and therefore will be easier to learn.

I wasn't very interest in my teens nor early 20's. At the time the only reason I took French in HS is because my parents pressured me into taking it. Though it would be years later in my adulthood years where I would started loving it. Now I want to try other languages. I'll be turning 31 on April 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 10:00 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Well, it depends on how easily learning foreign languages has come to you, OP. If. you learn easily, then age isn't a factor. You can achieve fluency no matter what your age is.

You'd have a very easy time of learning Portuguese, in any case, because of your background in Spanish and French. Are you in Peru? Quechua is one of the country's officially-recognized national languages, in which case, you definitely should learn a bit of it! I'm interested in Quechua, myself, and learned a little, when working in Ecuador. It didn't seem difficult, but I didn't get into it too deeply. My experience with Native American languages is, that once you get past a surface level, they're VERY different from European languages, and are challenging. But I like a good linguistic challenge.

Mandarin: Not difficult, but you need a good ear for the tonal aspect of it. Since you live in the Andean region (I gather), I'd suggest you tackle Quechua first, and Portuguese--well, that will come very naturally. You could study both at the same time, without any trouble, IMO. I'm sure there are Quechua language programs in your country, no?

This sounds like fun, OP. Go for it! Language-learning is a great hobby to have.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:19 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,165,772 times
Thank you Ruth4Truth.
I've been living in Lima, Peru since May 2007. I'll be educating myself online. I've been using the Duolingo site more often to continue reviewing some French.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
Thank you Ruth4Truth.
I've been living in Lima, Peru since May 2007. I'll be educating myself online. I've been using the Duolingo site more often to continue reviewing some French.
Good luck! With your Quechua studies, you'll eventually need to practice with a native speaker, or a skilled non-Native speaker or teacher, if you want to gain fluency. But one of those shouldn't be too hard to find, in Lima. I'll be interested to know how you progress. Check back in with us, a year from now.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:06 PM

178 posts, read 184,773 times
Edited.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:59 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
In terms of pronunciation. I think Portuguese is closer to French than Spanish so be careful.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:12 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,573 times
I'm 36 and studying Mandarin since last year.
I don't know if it's because I'm older than when I learned German and French or because it's a completely alien language for westerners, but it's the hardest of all. After one year studying German, I was already able to get understood in many situations and even read some articles in the newspapers, while in Mandarin I'm struggling.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
I don't know if it's because I'm older than when I learned German and French or because it's a completely alien language for westerners, but it's the hardest of all. After one year studying German, I was already able to get understood in many situations and even read some articles in the newspapers, while in Mandarin I'm struggling.
I'm surprised about that, because the journalistic language in German (and other Germanic languages) is very different from conversational German. That tends to be true in many languages, but seems especially so with the Germanic langs.

The problem with Mandarin is, that unless you have a good visual memory (artists do well with this), the written language is a killer. Memorizing all those little scratchings. I studied Mandarin in my 30's, too, and didn't have a problem with it (except as noted), but then, I have a good ear for music and tone. And I thought the grammar was very simple.

If the OP is going to be teaching herself from an online program, it may be that she'll only be dealing with the spoken language, anyway.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:43 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
The writing system of Mandarin is ridiculously hard.

Grammar is easy though.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:41 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm surprised about that, because the journalistic language in German (and other Germanic languages) is very different from conversational German. That tends to be true in many languages, but seems especially so with the Germanic langs.

The problem with Mandarin is, that unless you have a good visual memory (artists do well with this), the written language is a killer. Memorizing all those little scratchings. I studied Mandarin in my 30's, too, and didn't have a problem with it (except as noted), but then, I have a good ear for music and tone. And I thought the grammar was very simple.

If the OP is going to be teaching herself from an online program, it may be that she'll only be dealing with the spoken language, anyway.
This is absolutely true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World