Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:46 PM

13 posts, read 60,522 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am 21 years old about to turn 22 and really need a break from The United States!

I have not yet finished my college degree and I will not for another 2 years but I need to take a break and travel around.

So where's the best place to go if you're an American? I want to work over seas for a year doing ANYTHING! Maybe working at a bar in Britain or Amsterdam. Or doing field work in New Zealand?

What is the best opportunity available for someone like me? and how much would I need to save up to get the ball going??

Thank you very much !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 11:25 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
Try Australia or New Zealand. They're some of the friendliest people and they love Americans, which is rare in the world. I've never heard a bad story from an Australian vacation.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:57 AM

1 posts, read 8,693 times
try taking your vacation in bantayan island, cebu, philippines. it's very cheap to go to this island. the beaches are white sand at par with boracay, known as the best beach in the world.

Moderator cut: To comply with City Data's copyright policy, please only post original images.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-26-2008 at 07:42 PM..

Old 03-26-2008, 01:07 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
yes you need money and working is the best way to travel and "know" another country. otherwise you just "know" a lot of hotels and airports. club med is very superficial.
it's a zen thing.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:05 AM

469 posts, read 2,736,342 times
It sounds like BUNAC - Work and travel abroad and volunteer programs for students and young people would be right up your alley.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:38 AM

339 posts, read 1,169,107 times
Hi there, if this is going to be a working holiday as opposed to just a vacation, you will need to consider which countries will allow you to work legally. Australia would be fantastic if you have enough money to support yourself without working, but US citizens are not eligible for the working holiday visa program which Canadians, Brits and Europeans can enjoy.

For Oz/NZ you would need to budget a bare minimum of around US$60-$100 per day for food, lodging and travel. Unfortunately they are expensive destinations and the US dollar exchange doesn't go far these days.

If budget is an issue then I would suggest you try SE Asia. There are a LOT of backpackers travelling through Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, etc. From my experience it is very easy to travel around these countries - they are cheap, relatively safe and geared up for travellers. It is also quite a small area so you can see a lot in a short period of time. You meet lots of people on the road there if that's your thing. For these countries a bare bones budget would probably be about US$30 per day. When I was last there decent guesthouses were around US$10-$15 and food/travel is ridiculously cheap.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:00 AM

540 posts, read 962,646 times
Go visit your local Marine recruiter. Good pay, three hots and a cot, and plenty of travel to wild and exotic locations!

Old 03-28-2008, 10:32 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
Go visit your local Marine recruiter. Good pay, three hots and a cot, and plenty of travel to wild and exotic locations!
Brilliant!!!!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:32 PM

469 posts, read 2,736,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
Yeah, like an all-expenses paid trip to ancient and exotic Iraq! I think our friend here is looking for a few months of fun, not a four-year military commitment. Although s/he might consider Peace Corps if s/he's interested in something a bit more involved that just bartending or backpacking.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:09 AM

383 posts, read 1,590,070 times
Definitely Prague!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World