Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 12:27 PM

839 posts, read 735,080 times

Advertisements

One thing that London has also implemented that helps pedestrians is that in busy shopping streets like Oxford Street, Regent Street, and Piccadilly, they have created a pedestrian island that would enable shoppers to cross the street safely anywhere they want. There is no need to walk to the nearest crossing point, which can be quite inconvenient. In those google maps link I posted, all of those streets could have accommodated an extra lane for cars, but it was given to pedestrians in the form of a pedestrian island and wider sidewalks.

London and most of the cities in Europe are miles ahead of any city in North America when it comes to walkability. Most North American cities are just so car-centric, that you don't really notice it until you lived in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 08:15 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
One thing that London has also implemented that helps pedestrians is that in busy shopping streets like Oxford Street, Regent Street, and Piccadilly, they have created a pedestrian island that would enable shoppers to cross the street safely anywhere they want. There is no need to walk to the nearest crossing point, which can be quite inconvenient. In those google maps link I posted, all of those streets could have accommodated an extra lane for cars, but it was given to pedestrians in the form of a pedestrian island and wider sidewalks.

London and most of the cities in Europe are miles ahead of any city in North America when it comes to walkability. Most North American cities are just so car-centric, that you don't really notice it until you lived in Europe.
Here is some thing of interesting concern I find onlline
https://travel.stackexchange.com/que...e-right-of-way
Don't know if this guy accidently walked through a red light facing him in and cross path of cars with the green light. Though if he was facing a green light when that happened even in the absence of a pedestrian light at that intersection, I would really be concerned of the behavior of London drivers. I guess British Courtesy take a turn here.
Apparently he might have crossed facing a green light based on other accounts that UK needs to make new legislation on this
https://news.sky.com/story/drivers-c...ke-up-11528398 To make official the requirement to give way at junctions to pedestrians and bicyclists to bring UK more in line with the EU continent and North America.
Apparently there has been a long standing issue that quite a number of UK drivers cannot grasp the concept that they should treat pedestrian and cyclists at junction crossings the same respect as they do any other thru traffic and not bully their way through or horn and curse if they have to stop.(I am shocked as I thought this is only an issue in backwards parts of the world and the Middle Kingdom and South Southeast Asia). This priority is actually covered in their highway code handbook as rule 170 and rule 172 but seems to be lost in practice. Though the UK is unique that there are very few actual laws governing traffic(that are ticketable offences) and most of the traffic code are recommended practices. Normally drivers do behave civilized towards the rules though and each other.

But they seem to respect those crossing midblock somewhat better courtesy, particularly if there are crossing flashing beacon.
Though some may turn into Mr. Hyde when the crossing is at a junction without signals or with signal but with no separate signal lights for pedestrians/cyclists.

Though officially speaking the pedestrian does have the general right of way in UK than North America, as the only roads off limits are motorways(and roads closed to pedestrians by the constable), they are not officially required to leave the right of way for wheeled vehicles while walking and cross only at designated points and with the appropriate signals. They also have the right to pass on private roads too something that does not exist in NA.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:27 PM

37,150 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Japan, obvi

Old 01-22-2019, 05:55 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Here is some thing of interesting concern I find onlline
https://travel.stackexchange.com/que...e-right-of-way
Don't know if this guy accidently walked through a red light facing him in and cross path of cars with the green light. Though if he was facing a green light when that happened even in the absence of a pedestrian light at that intersection, I would really be concerned of the behavior of London drivers. I guess British Courtesy take a turn here.
Apparently he might have crossed facing a green light based on other accounts that UK needs to make new legislation on this
https://news.sky.com/story/drivers-c...ke-up-11528398 To make official the requirement to give way at junctions to pedestrians and bicyclists to bring UK more in line with the EU continent and North America.
Apparently there has been a long standing issue that quite a number of UK drivers cannot grasp the concept that they should treat pedestrian and cyclists at junction crossings the same respect as they do any other thru traffic and not bully their way through or horn and curse if they have to stop.(I am shocked as I thought this is only an issue in backwards parts of the world and the Middle Kingdom and South Southeast Asia). This priority is actually covered in their highway code handbook as rule 170 and rule 172 but seems to be lost in practice. Though the UK is unique that there are very few actual laws governing traffic(that are ticketable offences) and most of the traffic code are recommended practices. Normally drivers do behave civilized towards the rules though and each other.

But they seem to respect those crossing midblock somewhat better courtesy, particularly if there are crossing flashing beacon.
Though some may turn into Mr. Hyde when the crossing is at a junction without signals or with signal but with no separate signal lights for pedestrians/cyclists.

Though officially speaking the pedestrian does have the general right of way in UK than North America, as the only roads off limits are motorways(and roads closed to pedestrians by the constable), they are not officially required to leave the right of way for wheeled vehicles while walking and cross only at designated points and with the appropriate signals. They also have the right to pass on private roads too something that does not exist in NA.
There are numerous safe crossding points throughout UK cities, they are known as zebra, pelican, puffin and toucan crossing and as the article below points out are slightly different, so there are lots of safe places for pedestrians to cross the road in UK Cities and London has lots of walkways, subways and cuts/side streets, where you can escape traffic. There is also no such thing as Jay Walking in the UK, like there is in the US.

Cyclists also have rights just as other road users do, however there has been a massive investment in dedicated cycle lanes in London ands other British cities.

The rights you didn't know pedestrians have - Saga

The rights you didn't know cyclists have - Saga

Annex 5. Penalties - The Highway Code - Guidance - GOV.UK

Walkways in the sky: the return of London's forgotten 'pedways' | The Guardian

The rules currently state that drivers must give way to those who have already started rossing the road, however a strenhthening of the laws is now being considered in relation to the loopholes you mention.

DfT considers new rule on turning vehicles to protect cyclists | RAC Drive

Cycling Routes & Maps - Transport for London

A cyclist's answer to the Tube map reveals London's hidden bike lanes - The Telegraph

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-22-2019 at 06:13 AM..

Old 01-22-2019, 02:25 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
2 most pedestrian places that I know off are in the third world.

Bebe Republic- mostly focuses on motorbikes due to how expensive cars are, and their poorer than most West African countries due to a lack of resources like oil/petrol which also pushes them towards bikes, or lack of a large population that leads to larger amounts of wealthy people and thus cars.

https://www.equaltimes.org/benin-s-p...n#.XEeI4KRMHYU Good article on that, but look up Cotonou and it’s the only city I have seen serious bike traffic jams with Car traffic flowing perfectly.

Ougadougou, Burkina Faso is empty of cars to an extreme their still there but most of the city doesn’t have them.

While I've never been to the latter, just wanted to note it is likely the largest "carless" city in the world.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 01-22-2019 at 02:38 PM..

Old 01-22-2019, 03:57 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times
So I am currently going to neighborhood meetings in Bologna with the city representatives and counsellors for the approvation of the new traffic plan. Basically citizens can go to these meetings to voice their opinions about the plan that should be implemented before 2030. We're going to have a tramway (finally) and larger pedestrian areas. Of course since we are in Italy there is a big concern about people being afraid to not being able to find parking spots anymore, and obviously complaining about cyclists is normal, but at least the plan looks great and I can't wait to have a tram.

Last year several people died while crossing the streets because some cars did not stop where they should have. This can not happen anymore. Italy is one of the most dangerous countries in Europe for pedestrians and cyclists.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:36 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
There are numerous safe crossding points throughout UK cities, they are known as zebra, pelican, puffin and toucan crossing and as the article below points out are slightly different, so there are lots of safe places for pedestrians to cross the road in UK Cities and London has lots of walkways, subways and cuts/side streets, where you can escape traffic. There is also no such thing as Jay Walking in the UK, like there is in the US.

Cyclists also have rights just as other road users do, however there has been a massive investment in dedicated cycle lanes in London ands other British cities.

The rights you didn't know pedestrians have - Saga

The rights you didn't know cyclists have - Saga

Annex 5. Penalties - The Highway Code - Guidance - GOV.UK

Walkways in the sky: the return of London's forgotten 'pedways' | The Guardian

The rules currently state that drivers must give way to those who have already started rossing the road, however a strenhthening of the laws is now being considered in relation to the loopholes you mention.

DfT considers new rule on turning vehicles to protect cyclists | RAC Drive

Cycling Routes & Maps - Transport for London

A cyclist's answer to the Tube map reveals London's hidden bike lanes - The Telegraph

Its good thing that they are closing the loophole and bringing themselves in line with the practice of the continent and other countries.

I guess one of the reason that Rules 170 and 172 are being ignored in the UK is due to how the Pelican crossing lights in UK intersections would never show green man simultaneously with vehicles that could simultaneously turn across the crossing. Therefore a driver may not be conditioned to give way while turning on a intersection without separate Pelican lights unlike in other countries where drivers are expected to give way to pedestrians while turning as UK drivers expect the pedestrians to face a red man should they be allowed to turn on a green light. It may also cause them to overlook pedestrians while turning in non signalized junctions as well. Just my theory though. It would be interesting to predict if the new rule that becomes as official to treat those crossing at junctions the same as crossing on Zebra crossings would make too much of a difference in practice.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:43 PM

37,150 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Except for city-states like Singapore, the best answer is still Japan.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:53 PM

83 posts, read 43,247 times
Old cities not ravaged by motorization or suburbia.

Old 10-23-2019, 06:48 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Pavement/sidewalks and cycle routes through Bogotá...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World