Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 11:50 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Here in Quebec, crepes is something you make at home, it's everyday food. The Quebec variety is thinner than pancakes, but not as thin as crepes bretonnes. My kids request crepes for breakfast every weekend. Served with maple syrup, of course.

But they do enjoy pancakes when we go to "the States".

Something else we all love when we go to New England are Fried Clams or Fried Clam Strips. On a picnic table, by the sea, at a clam shack, they taste even better!
I make crepes at home. As do a lot of people.

Creperies exist all over North America. No one here is confusing pancakes with crepes.

My response was in regards to Acajack's remark, which made it sound like well made crepes were rare outside of Quebec. Not true.

I've eaten crepes all over France over many years. I've eaten good ones and not so good.

They are not as common as pancakes in the US I admit, but they are not hard to find.

Just like here in Vancouver....lots of good crepes to be found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 12:13 PM

565 posts, read 671,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I make crepes at home. As do a lot of people.

Creperies exist all over North America. No one here is confusing pancakes with crepes.

My response was in regards to Acajack's remark, which made it sound like well made crepes were rare outside of Quebec. Not true.

I've eaten crepes all over France over many years. I've eaten good ones and not so good.

They are not as common as pancakes in the US I admit, but they are not hard to find.

Just like here in Vancouver....lots of good crepes to be found.
Of course you can get crepes pretty much everywhere, and you can get pancakes in Quebec. But pancakes are more common in the US, crepes are more common here.

My point was that crepes you typically get in creperies are usually thinner than the ones we make at home in Quebec. Different recipes. We're kind of in-between pancakes and crepes bretonnes. But anyway, sure, you have crepes in Vancouver. As a side note, I make a mean Pad thai and know many people who make pad thai at home. In my mind that doesn't make it a traditional québécois food.

To go back on the subject, a few other things we enjoy when we go to New England : lobster rolls and clam chowder

Something we don't have as much but don't enjoy as much : biscuits . It's just to heavy and filling (and often greasy too).

Last edited by begratto; 04-19-2018 at 12:32 PM..

Old 04-19-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Of course you can get crepes pretty much everywhere, and you can get pancakes in Quebec. But pancakes are more common in the US, crepes are more common here.

My point was that crepes you typically get in creperies are usually thinner than the ones we make at home in Quebec. Different recipes. We're kind of in-between pancakes and crepes bretonnes. But anyway, sure, you have crepes in Vancouver. As a side note, I make a mean Pad thai and know many people who make pad thai at home. In my mind that doesn't make it a traditional québécois food.

To go back on the subject, a few other things we enjoy when we go to New England : lobster rolls and clam chowder

Something we don't have as much but don't enjoy as much : biscuits . It's just to heavy and filling (and often greasy too).
Maybe that is what Acajack meant? Although it was not clear.

I too put maple syrup on my crepes

I just remembered another food I like when I go to the US.

I love picking fresh oranges off friends trees. Nothing like an orange that has been ripens on a tree.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:52 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Not sure what you disagree with. New England Boiled Dinner is is no way like what Southerners call "Bar-be-Que".

Where I am from, that's an event where people grill hot dogs and hamburgers. A verb, Not a food.
I was disagreeing with the idea that New England isn't known for its food.

The US hasn't strongly exported Southern food out to most countries aside from fried chicken. It has done so with hot dogs and hamburgers. To a lesser degree, the US has also exported some of that delicious, delicious chowder.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I was disagreeing with the idea that New England isn't known for its food.

The US hasn't strongly exported Southern food out to most countries aside from fried chicken. It has done so with hot dogs and hamburgers. To a lesser degree, the US has also exported some of that delicious, delicious chowder.
"re-exported " Chowder, came to the US from England and France over 250 years ago.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:36 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Here are some iconic foods the East Coast is known for:

Maine Lobster

New England Clam Chowder

New York Pizza and Bagels

Philly Cheese Steak

Maryland Crab Cakes and Steamed Crabs

Old 04-19-2018, 04:14 PM

26,870 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Maybe that is what Acajack meant? Although it was not clear.

Well, you can find any food most anywhere in the world these days. I am sure there is at least one place in Thailand that makes really, really good poutine.

There wouldn't be any point in this thread though if we all replied with "hey there's this awesome place in Moscow that does authentic Texas BBQ" in response to people who say they like to have BBQ in Texas...

Cornbread is something that I like when I am in the U.S., even though if I looked hard enough I guess I could find it here.

Good pancakes seem to be easier to find in the U.S. than in Canada. Though I am sure that there are places in Canada that makes them awesomely.

Crêpes (regardless of their relative thin-ness) seem to be more of a common thing in Quebec than outside of it. This does not mean no one outside of Quebec eats crêpes or even that they are that hard to find.

OTOH, I've noticed that Quebec is almost a marmelade-free zone for some reason. Will this assertion get me into trouble?

Old 04-19-2018, 09:40 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,206,898 times
Lots of Asian's find U.S. desserts way too sweet for their liking. Do you think Europeans also think U.S. desserts like pie, cakes, cookies are too sweet for them as well?

Old 04-19-2018, 09:43 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, you can find any food most anywhere in the world these days. I am sure there is at least one place in Thailand that makes really, really good poutine.

There wouldn't be any point in this thread though if we all replied with "hey there's this awesome place in Moscow that does authentic Texas BBQ" in response to people who say they like to have BBQ in Texas...

Cornbread is something that I like when I am in the U.S., even though if I looked hard enough I guess I could find it here.

Good pancakes seem to be easier to find in the U.S. than in Canada. Though I am sure that there are places in Canada that makes them awesomely.

Crêpes (regardless of their relative thin-ness) seem to be more of a common thing in Quebec than outside of it. This does not mean no one outside of Quebec eats crêpes or even that they are that hard to find.

OTOH, I've noticed that Quebec is almost a marmelade-free zone for some reason. Will this assertion get me into trouble?
Indeed.

Interesting to hear what kinds of foods people from other places like in the US, not that those foods "are available at X country"

Old 04-20-2018, 12:55 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,303,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Lots of Asian's find U.S. desserts way too sweet for their liking. Do you think Europeans also think U.S. desserts like pie, cakes, cookies are too sweet for them as well?
Well this Australian does, as well as Italian sweets. I like English type sweets like plum pudding, minced tarts and bread and butter pudding. But my husband is on a strict diet prior to our American six week trip because as well as the big breakfasts, he loves the sweet desserts. When he had to provide lunch for our grandson in my absence the other day, of course he took him to Maccas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World