Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 08:28 AM

827 posts, read 866,486 times

Advertisements

In our world, the cost of living can be really really different between a country and another, a state and another, a city and another and even a neighborhood and another in the same city.

So i ask: how is the life of someone who earn a monthly wage of 1,000 dollars in the location where you live?

Here in my small town the average income per capita is around 485 dollars after the conversion from our actual currency.

With the equivalent to 1,000 dollars you are rich enough to be part of the top 10% of the town and can be considered middle-high class.

What can you do with this money?
Rent an apartment in good standard downtown for $300, or something more simple for less than $200.
Pay the parcel of a good car (here it's common to buy a car and pay during up to 72 months) + the gasoline to drive 1.000km for $300.
Buy your monthly basic (and some non-basic) needs in the supermarket for $150.
Go to the gym 3 times a week for less than $30 per month.
Eat a lot in a good pizzeria saturday night for $15.
Buy a ticket to the cinema for $7 ($3.5 if you have disccount card or if it's promotional day)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 08:51 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,681,843 times
In the US (Florida), 1,000 USD, I think even for an individual, would place someone below the poverty line. That is when considering that 1,000 after taxes, etc. would be less than that, and the poverty standard would be 11,490 in the US I think per annum. I believe, a one bedroom apartment in a Section 8 (lower income) housing in our area, that we initially were looking at before we realized it was section 8 and thus closed off to those earning more than 30,000 per year, was $667/month. Roughly, were looking at 8,000 of our 12,000 dollar annual income there. That would leave roughly 4,000/yr. for EVERYTHING else. I suppose, if you were able to manage some type of initial down payment, you could probably pay 100$ a month on certain used cars, however with other maintenance, gas, etc., that's still close to 2,000 left over. Food stamps are obviously quite necessary then for someone at this level (basically, minimum wage for most part at this point), because you have so little left over and I think it would be quite difficult to provide food even for one person for 150 a month assuming there are literally no other expenses. A tough life, indeed.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:35 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,337,189 times
It´s about what I earn right now on my 50% employment.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:45 AM

827 posts, read 866,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
It´s about what I earn right now on my 50% employment.
Interesting. Sweden seems to be a very expensive country, not easy to live with one thousand dollars. But at the same time it has a big welfare state to help, right?

Old 04-19-2018, 11:13 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,337,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
Interesting. Sweden seems to be a very expensive country, not easy to live with one thousand dollars. But at the same time it has a big welfare state to help, right?
We do have lots of welfare, which I probably should use, but I live in a small town in northern Sweden where everything is much cheaper than in the southern parts, or even in the major cities in the north.
It´s enough to pay my bills and put food on the table every day and since I live a rather cheap lifestyle I can afford to go to a restaurant or a club and things like that.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:36 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
$1,000 USD doesn't go far where I live about $500 would be the monthly payment for a basic new car and the other $500 would cover our monthly gasoline bill. Since we have four cars one for each family member it's just scratching the surface, not to mention maintenance on the vehicles, insurance, and fees.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:53 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,265,780 times
It would allow a couple to go out and buy 10 pretty decent dinners.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:12 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,400,015 times
Buy food for the month, including take-out coffee, other non-alcoholic drinks, and eating inexpensive prepared meals for most ($7-10 per).

Eating-in a couple of times per week and for breakfast, not to save money but out of preference.

About 10% left over for unexpected expenses that come like clockwork.

These are recent NYC expenses.

edit: I was answering based on the thread title, and not the original post. I think that the thread title question is more interesting. In other words: "what can you do with" vs "how is the life of someone with $1,000". Otherwise, the answer for many places will simply be: "nonexistent".

Unless you are living in an area that is so economically abandoned that it is in an emergency state or simply mostly unpopulated, most average housing in the US even in cheap areas will be $5-600 for a one bedroom apartment - most in pretty poor shape. Double that for something truly nice (comfortably nice, not extravagant) unless you get lucky. Then you have utilities, phone, car, insurance, and food. $1000 per month is impoverished and most will have a hard time staying within it.

Last edited by golgi1; 04-19-2018 at 12:27 PM..

Old 04-19-2018, 12:16 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
1000 USD to CAD is 1265.

15,180 CAD is below the poverty line I believe.

If you are single, your rent alone will eat up that amount, Forget food, clothing, utilities etc.

I'm not up on what is offered for assistance, but I would assume that hopefully the person would qualify for low income housing ( although there certainly is a shortage of that ).

They most likely would have several roommates and live a very basic life, until they got a job with more hours, since if they were working full time hours in a minimum wage job, they would be getting 2,024 CAD per month.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:52 PM

990 posts, read 882,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
In our world, the cost of living can be really really different between a country and another, a state and another, a city and another and even a neighborhood and another in the same city.

So i ask: how is the life of someone who earn a monthly wage of 1,000 dollars in the location where you live?

Here in my small town the average income per capita is around 485 dollars after the conversion from our actual currency.

With the equivalent to 1,000 dollars you are rich enough to be part of the top 10% of the town and can be considered middle-high class.

What can you do with this money?
Rent an apartment in good standard downtown for $300, or something more simple for less than $200.
Pay the parcel of a good car (here it's common to buy a car and pay during up to 72 months) + the gasoline to drive 1.000km for $300.
Buy your monthly basic (and some non-basic) needs in the supermarket for $150.
Go to the gym 3 times a week for less than $30 per month.
Eat a lot in a good pizzeria saturday night for $15.
Buy a ticket to the cinema for $7 ($3.5 if you have disccount card or if it's promotional day)
Eduardo here in São Paulo U$1.000 (R$ 3.300) is ok for a young single guy, but for feed and support a family of 4 people is dificult.

Rent or mortgage of small apartment in ok area = R$ 1200 (U$360)
Supermarket = R$ 1.000 (U$300)

You have just R$ 1.000 (U$300) to others things, is not posible have a car just a motorcycle, because that the wife must to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World