Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 06:46 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times

Advertisements

There are lots of regional variations in the US, from New England with it's sea food through to NYC which is famous for it's Pizza, Sandwiches, Bagels, Hot Dog etc down to Philadelphia which is home to the Philly Cheese Steak,. Down in the south you have cajun and a lot more french influence, and of course on parts of the West Coast and places such as Texas there is Mexican and Spanish influence.

Most cities and region in the US have their own unique specialities, of which they are often very proud of.

Obviously some US Foods are universal though, such as pizza, burgers, fried chicken, bbq, man & cheese, apple pie etc etc.

US Food is often a fusion of European, South American and international influences due to the unique growth of the US through immigration as well as it's geography, with areas close to the sea utilising more seafood dishes etc.

I really like most US Food, and indeed North American food if you include Canada and Mexico as well. My only problem with it is it's too good, often contains a lot of calories and comes is very large portions, whilst refils of coffee and soft drinks are free. It's not the place to be if you are watvhing your weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 07:53 AM

1,087 posts, read 782,186 times
"Buffet", not a single type of food but the style of display. This is not to be confused with hotel style morning "continental breakfast".

Old 04-17-2018, 07:54 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Tacos and horchata

Yoshinoya beef bowl

Burgers

Old 04-17-2018, 08:01 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Cajun cuisine is pretty unique to America.

In fact, you really have to go to Louisiana to get the authentic stuff.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:26 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
I forgot about Philly Cheese Sandwhiches! Love those!

Old 04-17-2018, 12:43 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Well, my poor husband just loves American breakfasts, eg pancakes with bacon, maple syrup, hash browns and other fattening things. He has a real sweet tooth and it is right up his alley and a change from his usual cereal or toast. But I have been on a diet since Christmas because of our upcoming six week American trip, lost 5 kilos (11 pounds) so I am somewhat dreading the battle we will have to resist all this type of food, which I rather like too.
So Australian breakfasts are different, no bacon & eggs & pancakes?

Old 04-17-2018, 12:58 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
To those from other countries, when visiting the USA which types of food do you like that is either unavailable or not as good, in your own country?

I guess the US in general, would be most known for:
- BBQ
- Soul Food/ Southern
- Tex-Mex/ Mexican
- fast foods (hamburgers, etc)
- steakhouses
- buffets
- iconic snacks (Hostess Twinkies, etc)
The first three are regional foods - southern, south western, western. New England and the Northeast are not known for those foods, neither is the midwest or the Pacific northwest.

I hope we aren't known for twinkies.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:24 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Tex/Mex - you can get it in London, but it's not the same (like Fish'n'Chip's isn't over there either!). Also, in Magnolia in The Haight, SF, they had the best Pastrami sandwich I've ever had in my life! About fifteen years ago I might have mentioned the disparity in burger quality, but there are some equally great places in London now. Going back to the States v. soon, so may update this!
We can get good fish and chips over here but you have to look far and wide. When it's good (which is rare) it's equal to that in England. The chips are usually scratty but they're still tasty.

Much of our food tastes terrible because it is overly processed and contains all sorts of funny tasting preservatives. But if you can eat at someone's house, you could get really good food. Also, good (non chain) restaurants can have really good food.

Our foods are regional--I've never had some of the foods that have been described as being American. But what about corn on the cob? That's really an American stand by--we look forward to it all year long. FRESH only! You won't get it in a restaurant though.

Diner food is good, reliable American food. Real Italian food is good too, not from a chain. You get it in places like Massachusetts and Connecticut in the New England area. How about fresh, warm apple cider in autumn? With fresh apple turnovers. Lobster and lobster rolls are very popular too in this area.

You usually have to spend a bit of money here to get good food. Hint--When you eat in a restaurant and they give you those oversize portions, be sure and ask for a "doggie bag" so you can take it home. They will always wrap it up for you. Might be best to carry a styrofoam cooler in the car and stay at a place with a microwave so you can heat it up next day. Or get there early enough and order off the lunch menu and you'll get a normal sized portion of the same food.
(Call in advance to see how late they serve lunch.)

Old 04-17-2018, 01:46 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
The first three are regional foods - southern, south western, western. New England and the Northeast are not known for those foods, neither is the midwest or the Pacific northwest.

I disagree on New England food, but almost solely on the basis of clam chowders and corn chowders. People in East Asia go nuts over the chowder.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:56 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post

You are saying you can't find or there is no fondness for, Tex-Mex, bbq or Southern food in Ohio, Washington or New Jersey???
They are very much part of general US cuisine, and yes available across the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World