Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 09:17 AM

32,517 posts, read 47,566,435 times

Advertisements

When my guests come from Britain, they want American style pizza, an American restaurant breakfast, and American style ice cream in complicated flavors. (Also a huge shopping trip to Costco, Walmart, and the western wear store )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 09:20 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,283,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
I love a good neighbourhood diner for simple tasty food. My kids love the bacon over there.
Usually the best kept secrets are at the neighborhood 'hole in the wall' type eateries (especially in Chicago neighborhoods and other major American cities), not always and of course the finer upscale restaurants abound as well.

So if you are truly a tourist with no locals to advise you, best to do your research online and take it from there. ('Best Hole in the Wall' restaurant searches for the major cities will get you started).

I can't speak to many neighborhood eateries throughout America but from experience I can say that Chicago can, for the most part, address any ethnic or 'homegrown' food that anyone from anywhere in the world would care to sample, as usual JMHO, of course.

We do this...at our home for occasions with family and friends.

What Is Whole Boiled Crawfish?

Louisiana isn’t the only state that celebrates the crawfish, however, and there are a number of festivals throughout the United States.

https://www.cajuncrawfish.com/blog/

P.S. Most true "foodies" do not eat at the chain 'ethnic eateries, but there are some exceptions to that rule. I will say that (here at least) McDonald's is a fair place to grab on-the-go breakfast food.

Hungry? This Map Shows Best Ethnic Eats By Neighborhood

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2015...-neighborhood/

Chicago Chain Restaurants That Don't Suck

https://chicago.seriouseats.com/2013...dont-suck.html

Old 04-18-2018, 01:15 PM

18,495 posts, read 15,398,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My kids just love cornbread when travelling in the U.S. I am sure there is somewhere they have that here in Canada but I have never seen it.

Also pancakes are the best in the U.S. They have them all over the place in Canada to but they never seem to be as good as in the States. (Though Quebec does do thin crêpes well but that's a different thing altogether.)
Cornbread may not be found easily in grocery stores...I don't think I've seen it, but it isn't hard to find. Heck just Googling Gatineau, Quebec or Montreal and " cornbread " brings up many places that serve it.

The Ottawa Citizen even has a " Canadian " twist version.

Quest for the perfect cornbread answered | Ottawa Citizen

I've made cornbread. It is SO simple. Have your kids try and make the basic version.

Pancakes. Funny my experience is that it really depends on the place. There is no shortage of finding good pancake places here in Vancouver. The most awful pancakes I ever had were in Seattle.

Crepes...are everywhere in North America.

Last edited by Natnasci; 04-18-2018 at 01:29 PM..

Old 04-18-2018, 01:18 PM

18,495 posts, read 15,398,857 times
The only food I go to when in the US ( California ) is Mexican and Tex Mex...also good Cuban in L.A.

It's a very regional thing, and I haven't eaten everywhere in the US, but overall, there really isn't anything I miss, probably because we have similar in Canada.

...oh and https://www.maggianos.com we don't have them in Canada. Only been twice, in Vegas, thought for a chain they did really well.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:21 PM

8,405 posts, read 6,779,580 times
We have friends and relatives from Singapore. When they visit in Southern Cal they always want to eat at In and Out.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:22 PM

8,405 posts, read 6,779,580 times
We have friends and relatives from Singapore. When they visit in Southern Cal they always want to eat at In and Out Burger.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:16 PM

26,643 posts, read 28,489,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Yes pecan pies
Pineapple upside down cake
Hot fudge Brownie sundae
Cheesecake (NY style)
Fruit cobbler (more in the country areas considered "down home" but pretty widespread)

Some are more "seasonal" like pumpkin pies.
The US is the only place where you will also see Skillet cookies (giant cookies served warm in a skillet with ice cream on top). I would also say "Cookie cakes" but pretty sure I've seen those in Australia.

Some are really regional (whoopie pie...Bananas Foster...banana pudding...Gooey cake...)
Red velvet cake is now very widespread
Fruit cobbler, yes. Apple crisp, cheesecake too. I have never heard of skillet cookies--that must be another regionalism. Same with banana pudding.

Red velvet cake, yum.

Sounds like most visitors are most familiar with southern foods or foods from the SW. Those are the parts of the US they are most likely to visit, so it makes sense.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:05 PM

26,720 posts, read 22,313,507 times
Pizza ( I like it better than in Europe.)
Clam chowder.
Tuna sandwich.
Cheese cake ( as long as it's not made with some "Graham crackers"
Hate that, along with Oreo cookies. They both reek with chemicals. )

Old 04-18-2018, 09:44 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,198,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
What are typical desserts? Is pecan pie American? I like that.

Pecan pie is REALLY good, but some people think its too sweat. The best pecan pie is in the southern states of the U.S. but you can get it almost anywhere. Some people have it during the holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas. It has LOTS of calories and is not that good for you, but its probably my favorite pie....lol

Old 04-19-2018, 11:32 AM

565 posts, read 667,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Crepes...are everywhere in North America.
Here in Quebec, crepes is something you make at home, it's everyday food. Our variety is thinner than pancakes, but not as thin as crepes bretonnes. My kids request crepes for breakfast every weekend. Served with maple syrup, of course.

But they do enjoy pancakes when we go to "the States".

Something else we all love when we go to New England are Fried Clams or Fried Clam Strips. On a picnic table, by the sea, at a clam shack, they taste even better!

Last edited by begratto; 04-19-2018 at 11:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World