Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 08:26 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times

Advertisements

Australia has more rednecks/bogans than Canada and NZ by the way. Maybe that could be one of the reasons why we appear more "conservative" than the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 08:44 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Australia has more rednecks/bogans than Canada and NZ by the way. Maybe that could be one of the reasons why we appear more "conservative" than the two.
The people who would be tempted to be like that in Canada have by and large been (figuratively) beaten into submission by the ambient ethos.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:45 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,245 times
Quote:
No way. I’ve been to both NZ and Canada, and didn’t see any difference at all. You must have been taken in by those “cute” accents ;-)

Old 04-25-2018, 11:28 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
I'm sorry is there a difference between a bogan and a redneck lol?? I mean I can fairly narrow down what personifies rednecks but Bogan sounds like a local thing you'd say in Australia.. It sounds like something an Australian would say - Bogan.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:31 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The people who would be tempted to be like that in Canada have by and large been (figuratively) beaten into submission by the ambient ethos.
Which is virtually the opposite of what I would consider to be "liberal"

Mind we are doing our best to do exactly the same to the "deploreables" in oz.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:35 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Which is virtually the opposite of what I would consider to be "liberal"

Mind we are doing our best to do exactly the same to the "deploreables" in oz.
well you'd have to make the assumption that AJ is correct that rednecks have been - beaten into submission - I mean for crying out loud it couldn't possibly be that perhaps most Canadians simply don't identify with being a redneck by like - something called free will.. Ask AJ how likely would someone in Montreal be considered a 'redneck' I mean were they 'beaten' into submission by the metrosexual movement

Old 04-25-2018, 11:36 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
No way. I’ve been to both NZ and Canada, and didn’t see any difference at all. You must have been taken in by those “cute” accents ;-)
I think I agree with Ethereal. Australia does just seem more Bogan -not that I see that as a negative.... Bogans are a proud and noble people.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:58 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
well you'd have to make the assumption that AJ is correct that rednecks have been - beaten into submission - I mean for crying out loud it couldn't possibly be that perhaps most Canadians simply don't identify with being a redneck by like - something called free will.. Ask AJ how likely would someone in Montreal be considered a 'redneck' I mean were they 'beaten' into submission by the metrosexual movement
The vast majority of Australians dont identify as Bogan/redneck either, due to exactly the same reason.

It's not a crime to be a redneck by choice, and liberals should be the first person to acknowledge that. However the term redneck is looked on so negativly in oz by some "liberals" that anyone would think it actually is a crime.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:06 AM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think I agree with Ethereal. Australia does just seem more Bogan -not that I see that as a negative.... Bogans are a proud and noble people.
But that’s because Canada has way more “hosers” . I’m not sure what’s Kiwi for bogan or rednecks.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:17 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
But that’s because Canada has way more “hosers” . I’m not sure what’s Kiwi for bogan or rednecks.
NZ calls them bogans or westies. As a cultural group, I think they're more prevalent in Australia than here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World