Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Jose vs Vancouver: which is a better city?
Vancouver 31 86.11%
San Jose 5 13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 01:35 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times

Advertisements

[quote=the topper;51751366]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
ha ha ha, now, you're convinced!!!
Actually, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 06:06 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times
Lots of homeless and drugged out people on Granville St. and over by Downtown East. There are homeless people on Robson st. My favorite street is Burrard st.: line of office and hotel towers though. Gastown is meh. Got downtown by Canada line from airport. I first was in Yaletown. Walked on Granville on to Robson and Howe. Went to library on Howe, I think? Eastern end of downtown. By the way, underground Pacific Mall is meh, dated.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:09 PM

My favorite: Stanley Park, Granville island with its retail and public market, and Commercial/Broadway on eastside of Vancouver.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:54 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Very telling: didn't know Missiissauga has 721,000 people. This city is completely shun by Toronto outright. San Jose is well over 1 million with a great CBD and airport. Don't forget Sharks, its hockey team and nickname: Capital of Silicon Valley. Sure, I would pit it against any city there is.
Part of the problem is you have S.F eating at your lunch. Or maybe the other way around because S.F is the legacy city of the Bay area. Everything really formed around it essentially because of it more than the other way around. In the case of Vancouver it is the base of everything around it. Sure, you have cities like Surrey that may function as an independent city, but ultimately Vancouver acts as the anchor to everything around it in Greater Vancouver - easier to do in Canadian cities vs American because our cities are typically more compact and dense than American.

San Jose for a secondary city in a metro is actually doing well. I think because it isn't in too close a proximity to S.F (Like Mississauga is to Toronto) helps it just that much more be less influenced by S.F plus the proximity to Silicon Valley obviously. That all said, S.F is still 'the' city in the Bay area - it is more an anchor than S.J.

In any event, I think if S.J focusses on increasing its density and urbanity in another 30 or 40 years it will actually be a more substantial urban competitor imo.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:33 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Part of the problem is you have S.F eating at your lunch. Or maybe the other way around because S.F is the legacy city of the Bay area. Everything really formed around it essentially because of it more than the other way around. In the case of Vancouver it is the base of everything around it. Sure, you have cities like Surrey that may function as an independent city, but ultimately Vancouver acts as the anchor to everything around it in Greater Vancouver - easier to do in Canadian cities vs American because our cities are typically more compact and dense than American.

San Jose for a secondary city in a metro is actually doing well. I think because it isn't in too close a proximity to S.F (Like Mississauga is to Toronto) helps it just that much more be less influenced by S.F plus the proximity to Silicon Valley obviously. That all said, S.F is still 'the' city in the Bay area - it is more an anchor than S.J.

In any event, I think if S.J focusses on increasing its density and urbanity in another 30 or 40 years it will actually be a more substantial urban competitor imo.
Even within the Bay Area, Oakland might edge ahead of San Jose as it has historically been SF's rival and competitor. It got sports teams after SF did as well and sports put American cities on the map. Oakland also is better known outside of CA than SJ for both the good and bad reasons which both share. Oakland is also adjacent to Berkeley which has the flagship university in the UC system. All significant social movements also happened in San Francisco, Oakland, and Berkeley. San Jose was still sleeping.

Comparing a city like Vancouver to San Jose is an insult to Vancouver

Old 04-30-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Even within the Bay Area, Oakland might edge ahead of San Jose as it has historically been SF's rival and competitor. It got sports teams after SF did as well and sports put American cities on the map. Oakland also is better known outside of CA than SJ for both the good and bad reasons which both share. Oakland is also adjacent to Berkeley which has the flagship university in the UC system. All significant social movements also happened in San Francisco, Oakland, and Berkeley. San Jose was still sleeping.

Comparing a city like Vancouver to San Jose is an insult to Vancouver
because it beats the heck out of Vancouver. That's ok. It's a much bigger city, much more of economic powerhouse and with better infrastructure/downtown core.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Lots of homeless and drugged out people on Granville St. and over by Downtown East. There are homeless people on Robson st. My favorite street is Burrard st.: line of office and hotel towers though. Gastown is meh. Got downtown by Canada line from airport. I first was in Yaletown. Walked on Granville on to Robson and Howe. Went to library on Howe, I think? Eastern end of downtown. By the way, underground Pacific Mall is meh, dated.
Still don't believe you.

Like I said, if you had actually been here, your observations would be more on the mark. They still sound like someone who did " a bit of Googling ".

For example. If you Google for images for the Pacific Centre mall, you will not only get old images, but images of malls that are NOT the Pacific Centre mall in Vancouver.

I'm no designer, but this dome is the most dated part of the mall. A mall that has grown and been remodelled several times since it's incarnation back in the 1970's. The dome is one entrance off of Georgia Street.

If you or the others think the mall is outdate, so be it, however I believe it will put to rest either your observations skills are poor, or the fact that you have never actually been here.

Old dome.

Last edited by Natnasci; 04-30-2018 at 12:40 PM..

Old 04-30-2018, 01:18 PM

Not as cool as this https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...25202496452340

Old 04-30-2018, 01:23 PM

Yep, still dated to me. Not going to advertise Vancouver to please you and convince you

Old 04-30-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
We were talking about a mall. It's not a dome contest, and besides, the dome I posted is over 30 years old and was used as an example of the old part of the mall.

My point still stands about PC mall and your supposed trip there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World