Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Jose vs Vancouver: which is a better city?
Vancouver 31 86.11%
San Jose 5 13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 01:14 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,238,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Definitely not recently and not spending much time in downtown
I was there last week! (LA, SD, PS and Vegas! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 01:20 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,252,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
1) I think most people would conflate LA, Hollywood, Santa Monica etc. I have friends living in Thousand Oaks and they just tell people they live in LA because it's more convenient!

2) Definitely San Francisco.

3) San Diego. I just got back from a trip (LA, SD, PS and Vegas) and really enjoyed it. Great nightlife and people and a cool, chilled-out vibe! Me and Mrs Bobcat won $100 at a pub quiz at The Field Irish Pub which was a bonus! Also Balboa Park and some of the surrounding areas are gorgeous. Would definitely go back.
Hollywood is actually part of the city proper of Los Angeles.

Old 05-09-2018, 01:31 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Hollywood is actually part of the city proper of Los Angeles.
Yes, but most people outside of California probably don't realize that, and think of it as a city, like West Hollywood is...but of course don't know that West Hollywood is

Last edited by Natnasci; 05-09-2018 at 01:51 PM..

Old 05-09-2018, 01:51 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,898,707 times
Quote:
I was there last week! (LA, SD, PS and Vegas! )
Not Downtown SJ!!!!! completely different from the above cities

Old 05-09-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Not Downtown SJ!!!!! completely different from the above cities
If SJ had the reputation or was as well known, OR really had something additional to offer, it probably would of been on his list of iconic California places to visit.

It wasn't, and it isn't.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes, but most people outside of California probably don't realize that, and think of it as a city, like West Hollywood is...but of course don't know that West Hollywood is
Good point

Old 05-09-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
If SJ had the reputation or was as well known, OR really had something additional to offer, it probably would of been on his list of iconic California places to visit.

It wasn't, and it isn't.
That's the point I was originally trying to make The Topper seems unable to comprehend this - or chooses not to.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Is that so?! I suppose, being a huge contiguous built-up area, I never realised they were technically different cities!

Old 05-10-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Is that so?! I suppose, being a huge contiguous built-up area, I never realised they were technically different cities!
Yes it all merges into one big area, but has pockets within the boundaries of the City of Los Angles that are their own cities. Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Culver City, West Hollywood and tiny San Fernando, all have their own municipal governments and are totally surrounded by the City of Los Angeles.

There are many, many more cities that merge into each other. Pasadena is it's own city, and even South Pasadena is it's own city.

On that note. If you are in the area again, I suggest a visit to the Old Pasadena. They've done a nice job on refurbishing that area with nice shops and restaurants.

https://www.oldpasadena.org

The jewel though IMO in that area in San Marino, another little city right next to South Pasadena, is

Home - The Huntington Library, Art Collection, and Botanical Gardens

A wonderful old mansion with amazing gardens. I first went in the 1980's, my last visit was just a few years ago.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Yes it all merges into one big area, but has pockets within the boundaries of the City of Los Angles that are their own cities. Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Culver City, West Hollywood and tiny San Fernando, all have their own municipal governments and are totally surrounded by the City of Los Angeles.

There are many, many more cities that merge into each other. Pasadena is it's own city, and even South Pasadena is it's own city.

On that note. If you are in the area again, I suggest a visit to the Old Pasadena. They've done a nice job on refurbishing that area with nice shops and restaurants.

https://www.oldpasadena.org

The jewel though IMO in that area in San Marino, another little city right next to South Pasadena, is

Home - The Huntington Library, Art Collection, and Botanical Gardens

A wonderful old mansion with amazing gardens. I first went in the 1980's, my last visit was just a few years ago.
And it can matter when you live in this area. The laws from one city to another in the LA area can vary drastically. San Marino is a little over the top IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World